What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

That is for the genre, excellent.

Enslaved are just a wonderful band and go far beyond their contemporaries. New album is due out in October which is already pre ordered :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

William Shatner: Has Been (2004). How come I didn't know about this? Against all the odds, it's weirdly wonderful (and not as a joke, like his 'Lucy in the Sky' era). 

It's fairly common knowledge, that was his second studio album, he's done five more since

The next one was Exodus: An Oratorio in Three Parts (yes he's reading the Bible set to music)

After that was... Seeking Major Tom (Yep all Space themed covers), sounds very cheesy from the off but the musicians include... Steve Miller,  Richie Blackmore, Steve Hillage, Ian Paice, Alan Parsons, Toots Hibbert and Peter Frampton. Oh and Sheryl Crow as well, quite the stellar backing musicians

EDIT: The one after than has even more bonkers musicians on it, Nik Turner, Edgar Froese, Tony Kaye and Robby Krieger 

Shatner pulls in all sorts of people to play for him, its quite the accomplishment

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah, I agree. Reminds me of this from Wolves in the Throne Room

Great pick. WitTR are another excellent metal band and up there with my favourites.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Great pick. WitTR are another excellent metal band and up there with my favourites.

Thanks. I own only two albums of metal bands. One by Colibra, (a mate is the drummer), and the WiTR one, which I bought (having never heard anything by them) purely on the basis that I was reading an AVH interview one day on the computer at work and she said she’d sung on some tracks on a new record by some of her friends called WitTR...so I ordered it off that internet purely because of that.  When I’m in the right frame of mind it’s grand, even though as a genre it’s not really my thing.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Thanks. I own only two albums of metal bands. One by Colibra, (a mate is the drummer), and the WiTR one, which I bought (having never heard anything by them) purely on the basis that I was reading an AVH interview one day on the computer at work and she said she’d sung on some tracks on a new record by some of her friends called WitTR...so I ordered it off that internet purely because of that.  When I’m in the right frame of mind it’s grand, even though as a genre it’s not really my thing.

You picked an excellent metal album to start with that is for sure. I think their best is Two Hunters personally but this isn't far behind and I hold that one as one of my all-time favs within the genre.

First time I heard Thrice Woven I was a bit surprised to hear female vocals sung in Swedish tbh :D. I mean these guys are pretty much isolated farmers from Oregon.

7 hours ago, blandy said:

I assumed they must be Swedish!  Thanks for the recommendation.

I was wrong, they're apparently from Olympia, Washington. Close enough I suppose ;).

Also no problem! If you ever need a good recommendation for metal I'm your guy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

....aaand all of a sudden, I’m interested. Olympia?

That’s got some claims to fame, for such a small place. Just googled up the population and it’s 50,000, yet they’ve managed:

K Records

Calvin Johnson

Selector Dub Narcotic

Curt Cobain

Birth place of riot grrrl

Don Rich

Wolves In The Throne Room

and one of the original places ‘lo-fi’ started

Not a bad list for 50,000 people.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s got some claims to fame, for such a small place. Just googled up the population and it’s 50,000, yet they’ve managed:

K Records

Calvin Johnson

Selector Dub Narcotic

Curt Cobain

Don Rich

And, courtney love, apparently she “went to school...in olympia” She didn’t though, I think its a reference to Bikini Kill.

One of the few Hole songs I like  

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

K Records

Calvin Johnson

Selector Dub Narcotic

Curt Cobain

Don Rich

I know this is the album thread, not the song thread, but it's more topical here:

• Like 1

Listening to a truly great black metal band from Manchester Winterfylleth and their album The Hallowing Of Heirdom. This album is an acoustic folk album that completely had me blindsided the first time I heard it. It's mainly centered around English folklore and composed of classical guitar compositions as well as choral singing. Absolutely fantastic album imo and very beautiful. Here's an extract:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Half of Type O Negative, with a bit of Agnostic Front (J.James) and InHuman (H.Hell).

Good stuff, and lyrically a part-eulogy to the late, great Pete Steele 😔

interesting...will give this a go out of curiosity.

• Like 1

Â