What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Another one that takes me back. The first Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equations Session for Peel. Band from Chester but really did most of their gigging in Liverpool. They were often on at Planet X (actually gets a namecheck ny Peel at the start of the first song) where I DJed on a Friday night, so saw Phibes quite a bit, they were also managed by two of my "rivals" Keith (Currently of Goldblade) and his business partner Andrew Mitchell (who was a complete W**ker)...... Anyway, the cover of LA Woman on this session is worth a listen

Still on the Peel Sessions... this time Sigur Ros from 2000. The snippets of Peel announcing some of these is as good as the music.

This is earlyish Sigur Ros and very much more in the ambient structureless tunes part of their catalogue

• Like 2

Quite the story here. Peel does a JP Roadshow gig at Aston Uni and The Beat are booked (presumably by the Social Sec, this was usually the case) as headliners. Peel decides they were so good, he persuades them to run through their set again when they've finished instead of him Djing to the end and obviously he gets them to do a session. This is it and Peel obviously can't stop gushing about how good they are. Not only that but the Session was produced by Bob Sergeant (an in house BBC producer at the time), he went on to produce the bands first two albums.The rest, as they say, is history....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

I definitely need to go record shopping again... and I should be going into town Sunday for a drink with @theboyangel so I feel a splurge might be happening This will be high on my list I think.

So I rocked up at Spillers without an appointment, on spec because I knew it was supposed to be there today but I hadn’t had notification and I didn’t fancy driving home to be told it was in!

There was one guy being served, no problem, I’ll linger in the arcade. Along comes Mr Gruff Rhys and his kids and sort of queue alongside me. We nod, I’m not sure he knew me. His kid decides it would be funny to run at the window, absolutely twatted herself in the face on the glass. So he now has a situation on his hands. So I was going to offer him my place so he could get the kids moving again. Bugger me, before I could offer him my place he queue jumped me!

Lots of ‘sorry, sorry, sorry’ and I’d been going to wave him through anyway, but bloody hell!

Anyway, the pile of vinyl he bought! It was about 15 / 20 albums, I think it was basically whatever had been released over the last couple of weeks. I can’t see how he could’ve spent less than £300 / £400 in that one go.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Xann said:

Welcome to the New Age :) 

Do not tell me you’re on the same dinner party circuit as this guy.

I do not want to hear it.

(he posted a picture of an oscillator and I thought of you!)

I’ve not had a proper listen yet, I’d listened to a few minutes of his stuff, enough to know I wasn’t just buying something pretty. I’ll have a proper listen later during my allocated listening time when people know not to talk to me and not to put the washing machine on!

Zone out time.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Haha 1

Â