What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And I've heard of (like, even) Weyes Blood. Stupid name, mind. What's wrong with Natalie Mering? 

I think a lot of solo artists take Alt names so they can differentiate between different strands of their music, it also means they can sign to different labels for different projects, though that doesn't seem to be the case with Weyes Blood, yet. Bands do it too but less so

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I think a lot of solo artists take Alt names so they can differentiate between different strands of their music, it also means they can sign to different labels for different projects, though that doesn't seem to be the case with Weyes Blood, yet. Bands do it too but less so

I don't mind that. I don't mind singers changing their names to something slightly more cool than their given one - Harry Webb, Richard Starkey, Robert Zimmerman, etc. It's the pretentious 'titles' that I dislike - The Edge, Fish, Prince, Rag & Bone Man - and practically every rapper, ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't mind that. I don't mind singers changing their names to something slightly more cool than their given one - Harry Webb, Richard Starkey, Robert Zimmerman, etc. It's the pretentious 'titles' that I dislike - The Edge, Fish, Prince, Rag & Bone Man - and practically every rapper, ever. 

You mean to tell me Snoop Doggy Dogg isn’t his real name?!? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I love Fish, and to be honest if my name was Derek Dick I'd probably change it to something fishy as well

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I love Fish, and to be honest if my name was Derek Dick I'd probably change it to something fishy as well

Hang on, he changed his name from Derek Dick to Fish Dick?

He’s not fully thought that through has he.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Hang on, he changed his name from Derek Dick to Fish Dick?

He’s not fully thought that through has he.

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Yeah, I'd lose Derek Dick, too. But... Fish? 

That's like going from Harold Jenkins to Conway Twitty. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I'd lose Derek Dick, too. But... Fish? 

That's like going from Harold Jenkins to Conway Twitty. 

I think it was a nickname he'd picked up as he used to drink like one.

Anyways, I'm really dragging them out of the depths of the collection now

Loved by a few to this day, it's actually not as bad as I feared. (It's not brilliant either though) File under Indie Amusement

R-728525-1248690221.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Still plumming the depths... Various Artists - Small Hits and Near Misses. Wah!, China Crisis and (early Pre-fame) Dead or Alive together with some alltogether less well known Scouse outfits (including Dalek I Love You) from the Inevitable Label, released in 1984

FIle under mildly interesting

R-1503951-1224604841.jpeg.jpg

One for all you people that like Oasis, The Las

Rain - A Little Taste of...

I used to move in the same circles as these guys, they got a deal, thought they'd made it... they even bought new leather jackets... they didn't. Nice enough people to be honest but this album's nothing special. It could be a thousand Scouse bands from the late '80s / early '90s

R-428365-1112844804.jpg.jpg

Those darlings of Peel, Girls at Our Best! with their only album Pleasure

I learned today that even though I thought I was a completist as far as this band go, I'm not, I'm missing a Strange Fruit Peel Session and Thomas Dolby played synths on this (before he was an artist on his own right)

My Pleasure bag no longer exists

R-477893-1169206677.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

Louder now with seminal American Hardcore outfit Big Black, the band that gave the world Steve Albini. Controversial... Oh yes. I doub they'd get away with haldf the stuff they did now. Not exactly PC

Big Black - Songs About F**king

Includes an excellent cover of The Model (by Kraftwerk)

R-389833-1587856689-3953.jpeg.jpg

Â