What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

Those darlings of Peel, Girls at Our Best! with their only album Pleasure

I learned today that even though I thought I was a completist as far as this band go, I'm not, I'm missing a Strange Fruit Peel Session and Thomas Dolby played synths on this (before he was an artist on his own right)

My Pleasure bag no longer exists

R-477893-1169206677.jpeg.jpg

Used to know these guys a bit, was mates with Terry Swift the bass player and his brother Nigel. I was playing in a band on the same circuit in Leeds, they came to  a few of our gigs and vice versa. I think I've still got all their singles plus the LP. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I've still got all their singles plus the LP.

But but... it was the '80s :mrgreen: Yeah thats what I have, I just never realised the Peel Session was released, I'll probably have to track it down now because it has the great segway track entitled Getting Beautiful Warm Gold Fast From Nowhere where they rip through all of those songs in under 5 mins which is a bit of a Peel Session legendary track

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

But but... it was the '80s

I wouldn't have bought the records if I hadn't known them socially! Come to think of it I probably got them as freebies anyway. As I've said before, I spent that era trying to convince myself I was enjoying stuff that hasn't passed the test of time. Never feel like playing it now. Are they worth anything? 

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wouldn't have bought the records if I hadn't known them socially! Come to think of it I probably got them as freebies anyway. As I've said before, I spent that era trying to convince myself I was enjoying stuff that hasn't passed the test of time. Never feel like playing it now. Are they worth anything? 

Mostly no but Getting Nowhere Fast 7” is in the £10 plus bracket as is the Peel Session. I'm presuming GNF is worth more because The Wedding Present covered it

• Like 1

I've not played this since much after it came out I don't think, not really into Hip Hop that much but I was interested enough back then to buy the odd album

I'm actually shocked that this is actually worth something... It was top 20 and sold by the bucketload but half decent UK copies of this are selling for £25 plus depending on which pressing you have. First pressing US versions on Tommy Boy are selling for £125 plus

R-3715185-1450113724-7157.jpeg.jpg

My Sunday working from home soundtrack consists of the following albums:

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Sideways To New Italy

Bananagun - The True Story Of Bananagun

Pottery - Welcome To Bobby’s Motel

Muzz - Muzz

Sports Team - Deep Down Happy

Buzzard, Buzzard, Buzzard - The Non-Stop EP (not technically an album!) 

all suiting a bright sunny day! 

never really been a fan of live albums but I was definitely a fan of The Woodentops. This is pretty much a standard live album though, it's not in that rarest of categories, the excellent live album

It is however another one out of the unsorted pile

R-810907-1388855692-7764.jpeg.jpg

I'm definitely a fan of the single label sampler album, which are much derided by some. This one's great from Steve's Some Bizarre label. Contains, Foetus, The The, Cabaret Voltaire, Test Dept, VIrginia Astley.... and plenty more.

Various Artists - If You Can't Please Yourself, Please Your Soul. (I also have all the inserts including the origina DaDaist black piece of paper)

Some Bizarre was a great label for artistic freedom and through that gave birth to some really big names like Soft Cell & The The but also allowed the really out there artists like Foetus to flourish too

R-184366-1523413019-6598.jpeg.jpg

See the source image

its alright, a proper mixed bag, some great songs on there and some very questionable ones, what I think it does do is take another step away from them simply being a Liam Gallagher / Courteeners support band loved by the LADS, there's a really good band in there, his voice is stunning too

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

This curates egg came out of the ever dwindling unsorted pile tonight

The album the Bunnymen recorded without Ian McCulloch - Reverberation. Obviously now Mac is back, no longer acknowledged as a real Bunnymen album. It's not great but it's also not as bad my memory had it but without Mac it isn't really the Bunnymen either.

R-3402206-1411727686-6992.jpeg.jpg

I worked three gigs while this line-up was active, which wasn't very long. One of them, Central Hall in Liverpool. I just remember it being a gig and being there. Did the load in, went home, came back watched the gig , did the load out and probably went on the piss

The other two, however, were somewhat more memorable. They were essentially a benefit for Marsh Lane Community Centre in Bootle. As well as Benny Profane supporting, a certain former manager of the Bunnymen and his mate Jimmy played their first ever gigs... this was the (very unmemorable) debut of the KLF. Add to that myself, Damon Reece (Later of Massive Attack and married to Elizabeth Frazer) and Jake Brockman, both Bunnymen at the time were outside the front door and just having a right good laugh about something got refused entry back into the gig on the second night because "we were on drugs", we laughed some more, not really being able to do anything but laugh at the absurdity of the situation. So, then I saw a woman whose name I seem to remember was Nora, who worked in the University but had something to do with the Community Centre and had to get her to explain to the meathead, that there would be no gig without the keyboard player and the drummer. Bill Drummond saw all this happen and was just stood there howling with laughter the whole time

Anyway, thats what this album reminds me of.

I have said it before but its worth repeating I love it when people give background or anecdotes about an album. 

• Like 3

Wally Stott became Angela Morley. An impressive career as a man was followed by an amazing career as a woman.

Morley was also the composer, conductor, arranger and orchestrator for the Sherman Brothers' musical film adaptation of the Cinderella story, The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella in 1976, however she was only credited as conductor and arranger.[13] She was again nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Music, Original Song Score and Its Adaptation or Best Adaptation Score for this film along with the Sherman Brothers[2][14] and again was present at the award ceremony.[6] Though initially reluctant, citing lack of preparation and unfamiliarity with the novel, Morley wrote most of the score for the animated Watership Down film, released in 1978.[1] She had to work quickly based on work drafted by Malcolm Williamson, then Master of the Queen's Music, who left the project.[1][2][15] At this time, she was a regular guest conductor of the BBC Radio Orchestra[2] and BBC Big Band.

Work in the United States

Following the success of Watership Down, Morley lived for a time in Brentwood, Los Angeles, where she began working for Warner Bros.[6] She permanently relocated to Los Angeles in 1979[3] and began working primarily on American television soundtracks, including those of Dynasty, Dallas, Cagney & Lacey, Wonder Woman[1], and Falcon Crest,[2] working with the music departments of major production companies, including Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox Television.[6]

Thanks to a mutual friend, Herbert W. Spencer, Morley collaborated with John Williams throughout the 1970s and 1980s, arranging for the Boston Pops Orchestra under Williams' direction and working on films such as Star Wars, Superman, The Empire Strikes Back, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Hook, Home Alone, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, and Schindler's List,[6][16] though in an uncredited capacity.[11] She also collaborated with André Previn,[7] Lionel Newman,[7] Miklós Rózsa,[2][7] and Richard Rodney Bennett.[2] Later, she would work with soloists such as Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman.[7] She was nominated six times for Emmy Awards for composing[2] and won three times for music direction,[2] notably of two Julie Andrews television specials.[17]

Morley continued to work in television until 1990.[2] She relocated again to Scottsdale, Arizona in 1994, where she recorded two CDs with the John Wilson Orchestra.[4] She also lectured at the University of Southern California on film scoring[4] and founded the Chorale of the Alliance française of Greater Phoenix.[6] Her last film credit was for the Disney film The Hunchback of Notre Dame II in 2002, where she worked as an additional orchestrator and composer of additional music.[11]

Wiki

• Like 1

Someone has been record shopping for the first time since lockdown... First out of the bag, stalwarts of the Paisley Underground scene, Steve Wynn's The Dream Syndicate and their latest album - The Universe Inside

This one is one of my more speculative purchases. It's a double album (Coloured vinyl) that contains only 5 tracks. Psychedelic jazzy jams are what I'm expecting and the first track (The Regulator) weighs in at 20 plus minutes and is pretty much that

R-15093216-1588077996-7330.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Â