What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

24 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Give it a spin, see what you think.

A lot of people who would normally dismiss them will like this, equally a lot people that like them will hate it.

It's a complete departure and I can't think of anything else out there like it, certainly not from a 'mainstream' act anyway. 

Sounds like how Talk Talk got from The Party's Over & It's My Life via The Colour of Spring to Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock. From Synth Pop to the more Adult Pop of CoS to pretty much inventing Post-Rock and Quiet / Loud in one album with SoE

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Pretty sure the only time I've ever heard anything by the Arctic Monkeys was on the 2012 Olympics ceremony, when they did that "Dancefloor" thing, and the Beatles' "Come Together". They seemed OK. I'm quite intrigued by the descriptions of this new album, sounds like they're being proper musicians with ideas, rather than just pandering to their fans' expectations. 

I dont know, id say humbug and suck and see have already done that once before but when the fuss died down people acknowledged them as good albums, this will be the same , there are ideas through the last 3 albums just not as clear cut as this one, this is every song 

If anything you might even argue the best musician in the band is the drummer and this is his weakest album

Listened to it about 7 times yesterday, will give it another couple today, spent last night listening to the vinyl with the lyric book out that came with it, some of the stuff is genius but its so dense its hard to pick it up especially if you treat this album as background noise, this needs listening to, the headphones is a good shout 

The new Arctic Monkeys album is brilliant, I have had it on repeat for much of the last 24 hours.

It's a very different sound for them, but I am someone that will always applaud a band for trying new things even if it means their fan base jump ship.

I haven't looked into how the Arctic Monkeys fans are taking this, but given Arctic Monkeys rose to fame because radio presenters told the mainstream fan to like them, I can't imagine this record is going down well.

It'll be nice if some mainstream fans accept this sound though and broaden their horizons, I mean it's not often a mainstream act drops a jazz-influenced lounge pop record on the world. 

• Like 2

Its not going down well..."no bangers" seems to be the general consensus 

Ive only seen them once and that was before the first album came out so im not sure what the average AM fan is, the reaction seems to be that they have an element of fans similar to bands like oasis, libertines, courteeners etc that "lad" culture band who are disappointed they wont be able to throw beer in the air and jump around to batphone 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Sounds like how Talk Talk got from The Party's Over & It's My Life via The Colour of Spring to Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock. From Synth Pop to the more Adult Pop of CoS to pretty much inventing Post-Rock and Quiet / Loud in one album with SoE

Thank you for reminding me, time to play some Talk Talk. Those two late albums always sounded like Steve Winwood jamming with Miles Davis to me. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thank you for reminding me, time to play some Talk Talk. Those two late albums always sounded like Steve Winwood jamming with Miles Davis to me. 

Two of my favourite albums ever, the Mark Hollis solo album is pretty much in the same vein 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Its not going down well..."no bangers" seems to be the general consensus 

Ive only seen them once and that was before the first album came out so im not sure what the average AM fan is, the reaction seems to be that they have an element of fans similar to bands like oasis, libertines, courteeners etc that "lad" culture band who are disappointed they wont be able to throw beer in the air and jump around to batphone 

They do appear to have attracted some of the 'Certain Romance' crowd over the years.

I'm starting to really enjoy it, but it's hard to shake the feeling that the rest of the band are being held back.

The Bass and understated drumming are exquisite throughout, but it just feels like they are prowling around underneath Turners piano.

It's the musical equivalent of peak Mike Tyson trying to stop himself from blitzing an opponent because his corner are telling him to stick to the game plan. He's doing it, but really you know he just wants to let rip. 

On 04/05/2018 at 15:39, LakotaDakota said:

Digital version until i get home but this is waiting for me there & will call in to grab the new Belly album on the way home too :)

Pcj2rYf.jpg

Hadn't heard of them but I'd been looking for something new to listen to.  Put it on Spotify in the car earlier.  Cracking listen - thanks man :thumb:

I think the new Arctic Monkeys album is fantastic. Probably listened through about 6 or 7 times now, each time on headphones.

Ive seen a lot of criticism on twitter but not really sure which direction people were expecting them to go in. They’ve changed their sound pretty much on every album so far. If you’d listened to the most recent Last Shadow Puppets album this is sort of where you’d expect them to go.

I’m a bit concerned what it will mean for the crowd at their gigs (I’m coming to see them in Birmingham in September), hopefully people won’t talk through the new stuff because they aren’t indie bangers. Seeing them in Paris later this month too, can’t wait.

Sonically it’s a fascinating album. Been away for the weekend so just opened the LP now. Interested to see the break down of who plays what on each song.

Early favourites are Four out of Five, One Point Perspective and The Ultracheese.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Cannot stand AM, but hearing people comment on their new album has me intrigued. 

I'm with Bicks, fingers-down-a-blackboard stuff to me

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Are you feeling OK? Have you been to the doctors? It's modern!

Yeah, I thought that might raise a few eyebrows. I didn't say I liked it, just that I was playing it.  :)

bought it from a charity shop for the princely sum of one Pound, purely because I liked the cover. 

But it's OK - in parts. I will always have a problem with music based on drum loops (which are an abomination), but I can hear bits of Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, Weather Report and Mike Oldfield in there. I quite like "Travelling Man" and "Return to Patagonia". 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Â