What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

See, this wasn't true for the disc I wanted last year. I got it for £5 cheaper a few days later, and now there are still plenty knocking about on eBay £15 cheaper!

Unfortunately most of the ones i want but couldn't get seem to be the ones everyone else is looking for and are selling today for between 60-100 on ebay despite being £20-30 in the stores that did actually have them. I swear the guy in front of me at the second store had the same wishlist as me, He bought the last copies of 5 things i wanted simply by being one step in front of me. Bastard

I've never heard The Wall. I just heard the Another Brick single, and detested it so much, I avoided the whole thing. 

And I loved Floyd, until Dark Side. 

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've never heard The Wall. I just heard the Another Brick single, and detested it so much, I avoided the whole thing. 

I find that amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

You really should give it a spin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Not even “Comfortably Numb”? 

What about ““Wish you were here” or “Animals”? 

For my money, “Another brick in the wall (pt 2)” isn’t representative of “The Wall” as a whole. Although I do love it. Some of it is a right dirge. But the good stuff is bloody good.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

You really should give it a spin.

Perhaps I should. But bear in mind that I LOVED the Saucerful, UmmaGumma, Meddle era, but from DSotM onwards, I found each album more 'impressive', but less enjoyable. By Animals, I'd lost interest. Then I heard Another Brick, and I hated it. I got the feeling it was stark and depressing. And those annoying cockney kids. The theme didn't interest me, and I hated the whole 'big subject/theatrical' approach to rock music. While I wasn't a big punk fan, I could see their point. 

Edited by mjmooney

It’s definitely a bit miserable at times and can be Roger Waters having a bit of a whinge. I could happily do without several tracks on there.

If you’re more of a fan of the dreamy, experimental stuff then I suspect you won’t enjoy a large amount of it. 

Inevitably the better songs are the ones where Gilmour’s influence is more prevalent  - “Young Lust”, “Comfortably Numb” and “Run Like Hell” in particular.

I'm sure this will be no surprise, but I also haven't heard that brick album, other than the 'famous' track that was unavoidable.

But then I also don't think I've heard anything off Dark Side of the Moon, either. Wouldn't even be able to identify the title track unless it happened to have those words clearly repeated throughout.

Then other than those two albums, I'd struggle to name a third thing by Pink Floyd. I think it was them that did 'shine on you crazy diamond', but whilst I know that track name, I wouldn't know what it sounds like. But, as of 24 hours ago I'd know it was about Syd Barrett.

I know this 'cos my mate (the chunky fella) had his picture taken outside his house yesterday.

DbVcGn1W4AMWNyi.jpg

There's a strong chance I'm being spoofed here!

Anyway, horses for courses.

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

But then I also don't think I've heard anything off Dark Side of the Moon, either. Wouldn't even be able to identify the title track unless it happened to have those words clearly repeated throughout.

You will have heard stuff from it, you just don’t know you have. And there isn’t a title track, though the title pops up in the lyrics, iyswim.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

You will have heard stuff from it, you just don’t know you have. And there isn’t a title track, though the title pops up in the lyrics, iyswim.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure it's been on in the background in some kaftan shop, or been part of a late night BBC 4 guitar heroes programme, or the incidental music in a scene in a marvel comic book film.

Perhaps I didn't mean heard, perhaps I meant listened.

It wasn't in my old man's collection, which feels like a missing tooth from the cheesy grin of his 1970's tastes. I shall ask him later why no Pink Floyd...

anyhoo, had this on last night, and it's back on now, very Sunday morning

39800427280_9046fc7e13.jpg

* nerd notes: look at the track lengths, same on the other side. An album that about 55 minutes long. Not much bass on it though, piano, guitar and percussion, so I guess that's how they managed it.

Edited by chrisp65

There's no question in my mind that DSotM is a great, great album. But I so rarely feel like playing it. It was the point where Floyd became less fun, for me. 

Incidentally, I feel that Porcupine Tree (who started out very Floyd-influenced) went the same way. I preferred them as a psychedelic underground act than the mega flash stadium act that Steven Wilson has turned into. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There's no question in my mind that DSotM is a great, great album. But I so rarely feel like playing it.

I always skip "Great Gig In The Sky", if I want to hear wailing like that I'll go to a funeral. Ugh.

29 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I always skip "Great Gig In The Sky", if I want to hear wailing like that I'll go to a funeral. Ugh.

Yeah, I remember you saying that. I'm OK with Great Gig. On the rare occasions I play the album, I play the whole thing. 

Â