What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I've always wanted to give Tom Waits a go, but never got round to it.

Which album would you recommend for a first time listener?

His music (and his voice) has changed a LOT over his long career.

Essentially, you can split it up by labels. His early stuff was on Asylum, and is pretty accessible - the voice was gin-soaked, the songs a sort of jazz/country barroom hybrid.

When he moved to Island the voice became a lot more harsh and gruff, the music more percussive and less melodic.

It may well have changed again since, but I leave others to elaborate, as I'm strictly an 'Asylum years' man.

I'd say start with "The Heart of Saturday Night".

His music (and his voice) has changed a LOT over his long career.

Essentially, you can split it up by labels. His early stuff was on Asylum, and is pretty accessible - the voice was gin-soaked, the songs a sort of jazz/country barroom hybrid.

When he moved to Island the voice became a lot more harsh and gruff, the music more percussive and less melodic.

It may well have changed again since, but I leave others to elaborate, as I'm strictly an 'Asylum years' man.

I'd say start with "The Heart of Saturday Night".

Thanks for the info mate :thumb:

The material from the Island label sounds more like me from the description. Will have a google and see what I can find. :D

My fave Waits track:

220px-SmashingPumpkins-SiameseDream.jpg

One of the greatest albums ever recorded IMO. Absolute genius. Billy really had a remarkable vision for this album. I find it funny how he wouldn't let any of the band members be on the recording as they weren't good enough.

I think if I were to be stranded on a desert island and could take one album with me, this would be it. It has everything. The perfect album. What would you take?

Â