What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

secondalbumcovernew.jpg

Saw this guy supporting The Zombies last night, and bought the album. Laid-back Americana (think: Ray LaMontaigne) by a bloke from Staleybridge.

celebrationrock.jpg

I was a little unsure for the first couple of listens. Certainly didn't have the immediacy of Post Nothing.

Now? well quite simply I think it's **** awesome.

3483uc4.jpg

S.I. Futures aka Si Begg.

Quite like Si Begg, he's got quite a bit of material out there under different aliases.

This one has a couple of

on it - though I usually prefer his other electronica stuff. He does a cracking trip hop version of 'A Summer Place' by Percy Faith too.

celebrationrock.jpg

I was a little unsure for the first couple of listens. Certainly didn't have the immediacy of Post Nothing.

Now? well quite simply I think it's **** awesome.

Surprised you like it to be honest. It felt to me like they completely scrapped what made the first album so good, loads of interchanging within the music which made a 2 piece band sound really fresh. There was loads of hooks in the first album which made it a grower. For me this album just feel like an American Teeny pop-punk album. Was really gutted.

RicahrdHawleyStandingAtTheSkysEdge600Gb020512.jpg

This album is very very good.

Missus' sister in law has dumped a load of old cassette tapes on us...just as I was about to bin them I remembered my car still has the original (and I believe unused) cassette player in it.

So I've been testing out stuff on the way to and back from a trip to Somerset.

Mountain, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, T Rex, Nazareth, Bowie, Brian Eno, Steve Winwood, Vanilla Fudge, Motorhead and Iron Butterfly are amongst some of the good stuff!

Bananarama, Sting, U2, UB40, Madonna and the likes are already in the recycle bag

Must investigate the new Hawley. I get the impression it's much more rock-oriented than his previous work.

Spot on, it's much heavier. There's less acoustic and more riff-based songs on this one.

Must investigate the new Hawley. I get the impression it's much more rock-oriented than his previous work.

Spot on, it's much heavier. There's less acoustic and more riff-based songs on this one.

It has about a 65/35 % split of good to filler, the good being in the majority

20u4l0k.jpg

Squarepusher - 'Hard Normal Daddy'

Caused a bit of a splash when it landed in 1997.

Tom Jenkinson's drum programming was a light year ahead of the field. Then he'd pick up a bass and play like Jaco Pastorius. Technical and musical, a rare and potent mix in one person.

'Vic Acid' was the single.

Listening to John Mayer shows girlies that you have a sensitive side.
Listening to John Mayer shows that I already have a massive collection of stuff like Neil Young, CSN, Jackson Browne, James Taylor and many more obscure mellow Californians that provided the influences!

Rush_Clockwork_Angels_artwork.png

Only just noticed that the clock is showing 9:12, referencing both 2112 and Neil Peart's birthday (12 September).

IT SEEMS LIKE A LIFETIME AGO -- which of course it was, all that and more. For a boy, life on the farm was idyllic, but for the young man I became, that very peace and predictability were stifling, unbearable. I had big dreams, and needed a big place to explore them: the whole wide world.

Near our village of Barrel Arbor, the steamliners touched down and traveled on rails along the Winding Pinion River toward Crown City. Watching them pass in the night, how I prayed to get away...

WE WERE ALWAYS TAUGHT that we lived in "the best of all possible worlds." The Watchmaker ruled from Crown City through the Regulators; the alchemist-priests gave us coldfire for power and light, and everything was well ordered. We accepted our individual fates as inevitable, for we had also been taught, "Whatever happens to us must be what we deserve, for it could not happen to us if we did not deserve it." None of it seemed right to me...

THE PLACE I HAD MOST WANTED TO SEE -- Chronos Square, at the heart of Crown City. I had seen many images of the city before, and Chronos Square, but nothing could convey the immensity -- the heaven-reaching towers of the Cathedral of the Timekeepers, or the radiant glory of the Angels -- Land, Sea, Sky, and Light -- bathed in the brilliant glow of the floating globes.

A foggy woodland road, a crowded village square, the busy streets of Crown City -- a wandering pedlar travels the land, uttering the ageless call: "What do you lack?"

WALKING AMONG THE PEOPLE -- who are so content, so blind -- the Anarchist hears the pedlar's call, and sneers derisively. "What do I lack? Ah... vengeance?"

I FOUND WORK WITH A TRAVELING CARNIVAL, and for the Midsummer Festival in Crown City, our games and rides were set up right in the middle of the Square, beneath the Angels. One night, amid the noise and confusion of the crowded midway, I saw a man working with wires and wooden barrels. He stood and turned -- the Anarchist! -- holding a clockwork detonator in his hand. I called out to warn the crowd, the suddenly he threw the device at me, and I caught it automatically -- just as the people turned to look my way. I escaped, but in disgrace, and fled down the Winding Pinion River to the sea.

I HAD FALLEN HELPLESSLY IN LOVE with one of the performers. She was so different from "the girl I left behind," and I was beginning to understand I had only pretended she was right for me. I pursued my beautiful acrobat obsessively until she let me be with her -- then I suffered her rejection and contempt. Once again, I had created an ideal of the perfect soulmate, and tried to graft it onto her. It didn't fit. Such illusions have colored my whole life.

THE LEGEND HAD PASSED DOWN FOR GENERATIONS. Far across the Western Sea, where the steamliners could not fly, lay a wilderness land hiding seven cities of gold. I dared the crossing on one of the stout ships that followed the trade route to Poseidon, a tough port city. I worked there for a while on the steamliners that served the alchemy mines, then eventually set out into the Redrock Desert. The stones were sculpted into unearthly monuments, and the country grew cold as I traveled north in search of the most famous City of Gold: Cibola. Its name had sounded in my dreams since childhood.

NARROWLY ESCAPING A FROZEN DEATH IN THAT DESERT, I made my way back to Poseidon, and found a berth on a homeward ship. Caught in a terrible storm, we seemed to find salvation in an unexpected signal light. Steering toward it, we soon learned it was false -- placed by the denizens to lure ships to their doom on the jagged reefs. They plundered the cargos and abandoned the passengers and crews to the icy waves.

I was the only survivor.

THINKING BACK OVER MY LIFE, AND TELLING STORIES ABOUT MY "GREAT ADVENTURES" -- they didn't always feel that grand at the time. But on balance, I wouldn't change anything. In the words of one of our great alchemists, Friedrich Gruber, "I wish I could do it all again."

The ever-wandering pedlar. "What do you lack?"

THOSE FATEFUL WORDS, "What do you lack?" spark an inner monologue about all that I have lost. No more boundless optimism, no more faith in greater powers, too much pain, too much grief, and too much disillusion. Despite all that, I realize the great irony that although I now only believe in the exchange of love, even that little faith follows the childhood reflex that "I was brought up to believe."

VICTIMIZED, BEREAVED, AND DISAPPOINTED, SEEMINGLY AT EVERY TURN, I still resist feeling defeated or cynical. I have come to believe that anger and grudges are burning embers in the heart not worth carrying through life. The best response to those who wound me is to get away from them -- and wish them well.

LONG AGO I READ A STORY FROM ANOTHER TIMELINE about a character named Candide. He also survived a harrowing series of misadventures and tragedies, then settled on a farm near Constantinople. Listening to a philosophical rant, Candide replied, "That is all very well, but now we must tend our garden."

I have now arrived at that point in my own story. There is a metaphorical garden in the acts and attitudes of a person's life and the treasures of that garden are love and respect. I have come to realize that the gathering of love and respect -- from others and for myself -- has been the real quest of my life.

"Now we must tend our garden."

What do you think of the Hawley album, Mike?

I think there's two tracks that i'm not keen on. But I have a feeling it may be a bit "heavy/boring" for you?

(I could be massively wrong though!)

Â