• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Can't believe the amount of fans turning with this, it's a disgraceful decision and clearly shows no vision, planning of our football club. No doubt the Americans will put on that we're moving forwards, how's that Randy you sell our best player then bring in the most negative manager in football? We are going BACKWARDS! As for this balls bollocks, sorry disagree, McLeish should put a pound on the lottery with his luck, get a team relegated twice in three years, he's getting paid two million a year and you think he has balls do me a **** favour. All I'm saying guys keep your necks ready for long ball. Another thing if Gordon Cowans is sacked from the club I will not step foot in that club.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along the lines of what Ponky just said... I can't make sense of the McLeish thing at all.

We've (presumably) have had a shortlist of who we'd like for a couple of months, since GH was taken ill. McLeish was obviously not on this list.

We've then been interviewing potential managers, although clearly some - McLaren and Martinez for example - haven't reached the interview stage for whatever reason.

Then, after already interviewing some candidates, McLeish has suddenly become available. The board have then thought "excellent, lets give him an interview, quick!"

I can only presume that the "decent" candidates - Moyes, Ancelotti, Hughes - have all said no, and we've got a bit desperate.

I couldn't care less myself that McLeish was Blues manager. And I think the "2 relegations, he's shit" mob overlook the promotions, the cup win and the fact that had to work for complete idiot owners.

But even taking that more balanced perspective, he still falls way short IMO. If we're going for someone of McLeish's level, then for me Allardyce or Curbishley would be FAR better options. Waaaaay better Premiership records. **** me, I'd take John Gregory or Brian Little back any time over McLeish. And they'd probably both jump at the chance!

I won't have a big sulk if AM gets the job. I'll judge him on performance. And part of me thinks that Scottish managers do seem to do rather well most of the time, maybe he'll work out after all. But, with all the names we were being linked with a couple of weeks back, I will certainly be entirely baffled as to how he somehow became the best candidate.

...and as if it couldn't get any worse, I just endured watching Boston beat the Canucks 4-0 in Vancouver in game seven of the Stanley Cup Final. Gutted. What a terrible day. I'm just hoping against all reasonable hope now that McLeish's interview is simply one of a string of interviews involving prospective managerial candidates from all sorts of places who may still be on holidays. One can only pray.

So we turned down Flores, a manager who demonstrated success, cups, nice football at a club similar in stature to us (In Spain) after he said he would jump at the chance, confident he could bring over some La Liga stars, even going as far as saying he has studied the playing staff. COME OFF IT! Something is definitely wrong at the club and I don't quite know what it is. I sadly have to finally agree that it seems we are in decline. Seems no good sponsors want to sponsor us, and even nike take this piss with our kit. Sad.

As someone who had been somewhat supportive of going with McLeish...choosing McLeish over Flores is a total botch.

Randy will live or die with this appointment. McLeish better act on his plans fast and start out fast in the Premier League. If the doom and gloomers are right, then we are **** anyway.

I don't know why they went with such a huge gamble when they had an important appointment on their hands.

They better be right.

http://tgr.ph/cJJyzL

Didn't remember this from last year but apparently Mcleish spent time with Houllier at Lyon after being Rangers manager.

hmm this is interesting.. maybe he will carry on with what Houllier has done? maybe he will bring in the players houllier has/had lined up? i doubt it though who knows..

oh and apparently Flores wants the job! if you want to take a gamble - take it with him!

Sanchez Flores told the agents involved he would jump at the opportunity, especially if he could lean on Ayestaran's knowledge of the Premier League.

Ayestaran, who also worked alongside Benitez at Valencia, fell out with his long-term friend in 2008 when he went to Benfica, then returned to Valencia as assistant boss two years later.

Sanchez Flores, who has a decent command of English but accepts he would have to go on a crash-course if he got the Villa job, has studied the playing staff he would be inheriting from Gerard Houllier.

Despite the imminent loss of Ashley Young and the likely departure of Stewart Downing, Sanchez Flores believes he would only need to make "two or three changes" to produce a squad that would achieve a top six position in his first season in charge.

A friend said: "Quique was very optimistic about achieving his targets and felt he was extremely confident of attracting top La Liga stars to join him at Villa."

Those players could have included rejuvenated former Arsenal striker Jose Antonio Reyes, who revelled under Sanchez Flores at both Benfica and Atletico.

Despite Sanchez Flores' interest and his reputation as a persuasive and intelligent technical coach, Villa owner Randy Lerner switched targets to McLeish, sparking a hugely negative response among the Villa supporters.

Sanchez Flores is still prepared to listen if fan power forces Villa to come calling again.

The friend added: "Quique wants the job and wants to come to England.

"He feels that he and Pako would make a really good team at a club with great potential and is not fussed about where he will have been on their initial preference list."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Aston-Villa-news-Quique-Sanchez-Flores-who-lead-Atletico-Madrid-to-Europa-League-triumph-2010-wants-job-if-fan-anger-keeps-Alex-McLeish-out-article747872.html#ixzz1PPpl7cds

Didn't Benitez's time at Liverpool fall apart when that Ayestaran chap left? In fact, wasn't everything good Benitez ever achieved done with Ayestaran at his side?

Quote:

Sanchez Flores told the agents involved he would jump at the opportunity, especially if he could lean on Ayestaran's knowledge of the Premier League.

Ayestaran, who also worked alongside Benitez at Valencia, fell out with his long-term friend in 2008 when he went to Benfica, then returned to Valencia as assistant boss two years later.

Sanchez Flores, who has a decent command of English but accepts he would have to go on a crash-course if he got the Villa job, has studied the playing staff he would be inheriting from Gerard Houllier.

Despite the imminent loss of Ashley Young and the likely departure of Stewart Downing, Sanchez Flores believes he would only need to make "two or three changes" to produce a squad that would achieve a top six position in his first season in charge.

A friend said: "Quique was very optimistic about achieving his targets and felt he was extremely confident of attracting top La Liga stars to join him at Villa."

Those players could have included rejuvenated former Arsenal striker Jose Antonio Reyes, who revelled under Sanchez Flores at both Benfica and Atletico.

Despite Sanchez Flores' interest and his reputation as a persuasive and intelligent technical coach, Villa owner Randy Lerner switched targets to McLeish, sparking a hugely negative response among the Villa supporters.

Sanchez Flores is still prepared to listen if fan power forces Villa to come calling again.

The friend added: "Quique wants the job and wants to come to England.

"He feels that he and Pako would make a really good team at a club with great potential and is not fussed about where he will have been on their initial preference list."

Oh I think I just produced pyjama glue reading that!!!

I think we should start a petition to get Randy sectioned under the mental health act if we end up with that sweaty ginger loser word removed!!

Not being funny but I would be far more concerned if we brought in another Euro-sop with no Premiership experience than I would if we sign AM. Where are the European coaches who have genuinely proven themselves over here ?

Not being funny but I would be far more concerned if we brought in another Euro-sop with no Premiership experience than I would if we sign AM. Where are the European coaches who have genuinely proven themselves over here ?

Wenger

Mancini

Ancelotti

Mourinho

Benitez

Hiddink

Wenger

Mancini

Ancelotti

Mourinho

Benitez

Hiddink

Vialli

Houllier!

Wenger

Mancini

Ancelotti

Mourinho

Benitez

Hiddink

I think he meant which we could employ right now.

Wenger

Mancini

Ancelotti

Mourinho

Benitez

Hiddink

I think he meant which we could employ right now.

How many of them 'had proven themselves in the prem' when appointed in the prem?

I'm not a supporter of the decision to employ McLeish but I have been doing some research. Earlier I posted the link to that story about his time with Houllier at Lyon. Here is another story where Dick Advocaat speaks of McLeish's qualities when he got the Rangers job. It is interesting stuff.

http://bbc.in/mphWWw