• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

The Premier League experience is a myth the fact he's been relegated twice in his 3 seasons.

Have to agree. That kinda statistic puts him on par with Avram Grant and you don't see us interviewing him... Well I hope not!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eames - Look at his record. Alex Ferguson it is not (who I bet has recommended him because he's from Govan)

I dont understand why you discredit fellow Villa supporters who acted with great integrity yesterday.

How does chanting "**** off small health" and "ginger c***" on national television show any integrity whatsoever? :shock:

As for his record:

League and Cup triumphs in Scotland

70% win record with the Scottish National team

League Cup victory with a minor midlands club....

Apart from his international record his CV is remarkably similar to MONs.

The only stain is getting a Championship standard club into the PL and then returned to the Championship.

I don’t care now and I’d never though I’d be saying that.

The way football in a whole is run and to some extent the way the Villa have gone about their business over the last few years has killed it for me.

From the amount of money in the game to bigging up so called world class players every min, listening to Sky Sports get a hard on because Wayne Rooney was seen at the local shopper to Harry Redknapp having an opinion on everything is just plain boring. Football as a game is dead.

So to Villa, the team I fell in love when my dad took me to my first Villa game age 7 some 25 years ago is not the same these days

Three years ago Villa was on a high as was I, we had just finished 6th, scored some 70 odd goals, the emergence of Young, Barry, Carew backed with the gritt and class of Melberg and Laursen the future looked great, the five year plan was fully in swing. Great results against Chelsea home and away, 5-1 against the blues the list was massive. Could it be any better………

Then one night in Moscow and it all started to change. From bailing out in Europe to the negative publicity we now have every time we do something to money wasted on average players that just simply do not care. A manager walking out on us 5 days to the start of the season, the taking forever to sign players, buy players for silly money, make no money on them, its all well Learner paying for fancy TV screens outside the ground and a nice brick work above the holte…but the business end starts on the pitch and works it way out.

Add to the fact this managerial fiasco has been nothing sort of embarrassing. The protest and vandalism at Bodymore Heath only adds to it. I’m lucky to meet lots of people in my work and the common ground has always been football, the moment I say I’m a Villa fan the laughter that follows is such a same, the club I love is now seen as a laughing joke.

In between this we have had two days out at Wembly…would this be our time…bar a poor ref decision to not sending off Vidic because ‘It was early I didn’t want to ruin the final’ who knows…….

However, will I still see how they get on a Sat or Tuesday, will I still try and find some dodgy internet feed to watch the game stutter for 90 mins…..Yes….because that’s what I do….thats what being a football fan is. I have a 6 week old and already he has been down to the ground and as a Villa baby grow……this is how it is….from my grandad to my dad and him to me, that’s four generations that in some way even though I moaned above are still proud to be Villa fans.

If McLeish does come I do hope that it works out and can look back at all this and say what the hell were we thinking….but I don’t know…add to all the events I have mentioned and some that I have missed I just cant see that magical light at the end of the tunnel, its there but the tunnel is long.

I only hope that when I take my little one to his first game the game will still have some parts to it that fell in love when I did when I was 7…….how I would love to be that 7 year old again.

Like most of you, I am reeling from this. I had a really sad moment last night with my 8 year old boy. I told him he couldn't have a new Villa shirt as I am not putting a penny into our club after this.

It's obvious now what our priorities are - Lerner is looking to recoup his cash before selling up. McLeish will be ordered to reduce the wage bill and try and keep the club as stable as possible.

I had a really sad moment last night with my 8 year old boy. I told him he couldn't have a new Villa shirt as I am not putting a penny into our club after this.

nice

I'm Villa till I die, I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Villa till I die.

But I'm going to burn my kit and refuse to go to the games until McLeish is gone. It's not because he's an ex-Blues manager, I just don't think he's good enough for this club.

But, having said that, he's a Bluenose scum and he's not welcome here as a result. All together now... Shit on the city tonight.

If people claim to be Villa till they die, yet contribute to a cacophony of boos the first time McLeish emerges from the tunnel at VP, then I call them liars and hypocrites.

There's a strong chance I won't be going to any games next season. The reason for that is my dismay at the actions of other Villa fans; both in the last 2 weeks but also in the previous 9 months. Villa Park has had an almost poisonous atmosphere and I can only see it getting worse.

I'll support the team next season, regardless of who the manager is. But my absence is not due to the new manager, or the board. When you boo, it won't be in my name.

Spot on Gazton, spot on. It's a slippery slope that started down during MON's latter days, and it does effect performances on the pitch, no matter how much people claim it is within their rights too boo and jeer the manager and players. It creates a negative atmosphere that really doesn't help the club at all in any way shape or form. It's just about some peoples need to vent and lash out. Nothing constructive can come from it.

I had a really sad moment last night with my 8 year old boy. I told him he couldn't have a new Villa shirt as I am not putting a penny into our club after this.

nice

Tough love

nice

I know but what's the alternative? Mindlessly handing over money when they have committed the biggest betrayal of Villa fans in my lifetime?

There are things Aston Villa Football Club should never do. Tapping up the manager of Birmingham City is one of them.

The 'prem experience' prerequisite has put too much constarint on them. If they appointed Flores and he failed no one would have blamed them.

Actually, had they appointed Flores and he had failed people would be ripping Flores and the board apart and I think you know that as well. It doesn't take much for fans to turn on a manager, a few poor results or a streak of boring football and the hunt is on. Football fans are very, very sensitive when it comes to managers and their performances.

I do think that or I wouldnt have said it. I dont think Flores would have failed though. We've just missed so many golden opportunities. Rijkaard and Flores (reportedly) want the job.

Like most of you, I am reeling from this. I had a really sad moment last night with my 8 year old boy. I told him he couldn't have a new Villa shirt as I am not putting a penny into our club after this.

It's obvious now what our priorities are - Lerner is looking to recoup his cash before selling up. McLeish will be ordered to reduce the wage bill and try and keep the club as stable as possible.

A frightening but logical conclusion - I can't help but agree.

The 'prem experience' prerequisite has put too much constarint on them. If they appointed Flores and he failed no one would have blamed them.

Actually, had they appointed Flores and he had failed people would be ripping Flores and the board apart and I think you know that as well. It doesn't take much for fans to turn on a manager, a few poor results or a streak of boring football and the hunt is on. Football fans are very, very sensitive when it comes to managers and their performances.

Yes, the board would have been ripped apart... but how many people would have been saying 'we should have gone for McLeish'?

nice

Although kind of irrelevant as we don't have a new shirt anyway!

Really wish i'd never said ANYBODY apart from McLaren!

I will support Villa through good and bad times, and it certainly looks like bad times ahead.

It will be interesting to see what type of players he can attract this summer, i'm expecting average prem players and championship players. Cant see any massive signings.

The Premier League experience is a myth the fact he's been relegated twice in his 3 seasons.

Have to agree. That kinda statistic puts him on par with Avram Grant and you don't see us interviewing him... Well I hope not!

Using the same kind of analogy, over the same period of time, a domestic trophy win puts him on a par with Ancelotti, Hiddink, Ferguson, Mancini and Redknapp, with all others excluded.

Eames - Look at his record. Alex Ferguson it is not (who I bet has recommended him because he's from Govan)

I dont understand why you discredit fellow Villa supporters who acted with great integrity yesterday.

How does chanting "**** off small health" and "ginger c***" on national television show any integrity whatsoever? :shock:

As for his record:

League and Cup triumphs in Scotland

70% win record with the Scottish National team

League Cup victory with a minor midlands club....

Apart from his international record his CV is remarkably similar to MONs.

The only stain is getting a Championship standard club into the PL and then returned to the Championship.

2 wins. That's all it will take, 2 wins for the needle of approval to swing in McLeish's favour.

I would despair but I kind of expect it.

On O'Neill after a win: 'One of the best in the world, we're so lucky to have him'

On O'Neill in March: 'Taken us as far as he can. Best if he left now. Limited. We're Leicester Deluxe'

On Houllier after a last minute loss: 'Awful sideways football. Can't motivate the players. Past it. F off, Frenchie'

On Houllier after a last minute win: 'Some of the passing was incredible, it's a new era at Aston Villa'

On McAllister before the final 2 games: 'Awful, uninspiring idiot. Not a clue, shouldn't be anywhere near our great club'

On McAllister after the final 2 games: 'He must be doing something right. He's proved himself so has the right to be our manager'

And so it will go

On McLeish now: 'Ginger cvnt. F Off Bluenose Scum. $vitriol'

On McLeish after w2 d1: 'Looks far better than at SHA, real team to work with now. Gets the best out of the players. MON with subs'

A frightening but logical conclusion - I can't help but agree.

It is hard to argue against it but its not McLeish has a good record with working within a budget and a reduced wage bill... Took SHA down twice.

Also when the Generals comments were leaked he was saying imagine what he can do with the backing from the board and etc... So we can only hope that if it is him he does get some backing financially.

Unfortunately Randy is proving the Cleveland Browns fans right. He's a nice guy but he appears clueless about appointing a manager. His obsession with a "shared vision" always obscures his ability to see the wider picture beyond.

Browns fans are now reasonably optimistic over the appointment of their recent head coach. Why? Because Randy didn't appoint him. For the first time in his ownership of the Browns he allowed his vastly experienced President Mike Holmgren to do the job, which he did quickly and efficiently.

Randy's idea of a "criteria list" is quaint and old fashioned and it prevents some potentially very good candidates from being interviewed. I hope RL recognises the urgent need to appoint a vastly experienced football administrator at AVFC. He needs to replace the muddled good intentions of a couple of nice guys (RL and PF) who have clearly shown that they are way out of their depth in the dog eat dog world of Premiership football.

Given the high profile of this candidacy, if AM is not being appointed I expect some kind of announcement from the club this afternoon.

If he is, then the announcement may come today, or later if finer contract details need to be sorted.

How does chanting "**** off small health" and "ginger c***" on national television show any integrity whatsoever?

This is Birmingham, not the leafy lanes of Kent. Poor language isnt a barometer of integrity. There was no violence, no vandalism and I haven't heard of any arrests.