• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

The 'prem experience' prerequisite has put too much constarint on them. If they appointed Flores and he failed no one would have blamed them.

Actually, had they appointed Flores and he had failed people would be ripping Flores and the board apart and I think you know that as well. It doesn't take much for fans to turn on a manager, a few poor results or a streak of boring football and the hunt is on. Football fans are very, very sensitive when it comes to managers and their performances.

I do think that or I wouldnt have said it. I dont think Flores would have failed though. We've just missed so many golden opportunities. Rijkaard and Flores (reportedly) want the job.

Daft you are missing the point though, Flores record brings with it respect. The fans would have respected Flores and given him a chance. McLeish record warrants no respect and so the Fans will give him no time, no patience and no support. How is that a good appointment? to fly in the face of the facts is arrogant and deluded.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most of you, I am reeling from this. I had a really sad moment last night with my 8 year old boy. I told him he couldn't have a new Villa shirt as I am not putting a penny into our club after this.

It's obvious now what our priorities are - Lerner is looking to recoup his cash before selling up. McLeish will be ordered to reduce the wage bill and try and keep the club as stable as possible.

A frightening but logical conclusion - I can't help but agree.

Maybe. So be nice to Randy. He doesn't HAVE to sell to someone with lots of spare money. Piss him off enough and we might find ourselves with the dream team of Alec McLeish and Carson Yeung, for example.

Like most of you, I am reeling from this. I had a really sad moment last night with my 8 year old boy. I told him he couldn't have a new Villa shirt as I am not putting a penny into our club after this.

It's obvious now what our priorities are - Lerner is looking to recoup his cash before selling up. McLeish will be ordered to reduce the wage bill and try and keep the club as stable as possible.

A frightening but logical conclusion - I can't help but agree.

Logical? This board reminds me of South Park or the Simpsons when the town locals form angry mobs over nothing apart from talking amongst themselves till it leads to a comical frenzy.

Then they realise what they were doing was wrong and go back to there normal routine, as if nothing had happened

Totally agree with gazton on this, you can't claim to be villa through and through then not turn up to games because you dont like the manager. So many people sprouting this kind of rubbish. Going to burn my shirt and stuff like that, I mean really?? Also the atmosphere at VP is terrible more recently whatever happened to us getting behind our team. How is it going to help the club if people boo the manager or players in the 1st game of the season. If you truly love our club then turn up when you can, and when you do turn up get behind anyone associated with the club 100%

Some of the posts on here are ridiculous.

Quite a few times ive been slated on here when saying in response to 'no ones bigger than the club' - I think ul find Randy lerner is!!

And he truly is. That man can do what he likes with that club and no amount of numpties (because thats what they are) can stand outside villa park and stop him lawfully.

Now, is that a nice situation. No, but thats football now im afraid. If he wants to make/save money, then fine, after all he is a businessman and its his livelihood at stake.

If you dont want to renew your season ticket - Fine

If you dont want to buy the shirts - Fine

Crack on!!

No its not a great appointment and certainly not the guy we all wanted. Its not a guy we all think can succeed either....... But....

surely we all still want villa to do well??

we dont need to hinder the chances of villa doing well by not supporting them just because we dont like the manager they have brought in.

One thing I am pleased about in Randy not listening to the fans is I now know them tits outside yesterday arent running Aston Villa FC

How does chanting "**** off small health" and "ginger c***" on national television show any integrity whatsoever?

This is Birmingham, not the leafy lanes of Kent. Poor language isnt a barometer of integrity. There was no violence, no vandalism and I haven't heard of any arrests.

I am afraid that poor language chanted en masse is a barometer, unless you believe that there are no decent people in Birmingham and that our women, children and old people should be subjected to this kind of thing.

I had a really sad moment last night with my 8 year old boy. I told him he couldn't have a new Villa shirt as I am not putting a penny into our club after this.

nice

I know but what's the alternative? Mindlessly handing over money when they have committed the biggest betrayal of Villa fans in my lifetime?

There are things Aston Villa Football Club should never do. Tapping up the manager of Birmingham City is one of them.

Buy him a replica from blackheath market?

I literally cannot believe how much wailing, gnashing, howling and grief has been caused over essentially one club statement saying "we're going to interview McLeish". I've re-read that statement over and over again and it reads (to me, anyway) like the club's thinking behind it is thus; "We're going through all of the candidates that match our criteria and McLeish is now available so we'll take the time to look at him too, but we should probably be up front and make an official statement as if the news that we're talking to our former rivals manager is somehow leaked the backlash will be immense".

I mean, think about it. Everyone's seemingly pissed that the club has told us they were talking to McLeish, imagine if they'd said **** all and it was suddenly plastered around the news instead? The likely reaction in that scenario would make last night's protest look like a quiet afternoon of tea and crumpets.

Nowhere does that statment say he's first-choice, or he's a shoe-in for the role. I don't see how it alludes to the possibility that we've tapped him up. In fact, the only place I've seen all of the aforementioned is in the various media outlets and on here. Is it not possible that we've been jumping the gun, somewhat?

Some of the posts on here are ridiculous.

Quite a few times ive been slated on here when saying in response to 'no ones bigger than the club' - I think ul find Randy lerner is!!

And he truly is. That man can do what he likes with that club and no amount of numpties (because thats what they are) can stand outside villa park and stop him lawfully.

Now, is that a nice situation. No, but thats football now im afraid. If he wants to make/save money, then fine, after all he is a businessman and its his livelihood at stake.

If you dont want to renew your season ticket - Fine

If you dont want to buy the shirts - Fine

Crack on!!

No its not a great appointment and certainly not the guy we all wanted. Its not a guy we all think can succeed either....... But....

surely we all still want villa to do well??

we dont need to hinder the chances of villa doing well by not supporting them just because we dont like the manager they have brought in.

One thing I am pleased about in Randy not listening to the fans is I now know them tits outside yesterday arent running Aston Villa FC

Exactly Tom, our fans can be our worst enemy at times

How does chanting "**** off small health" and "ginger c***" on national television show any integrity whatsoever?

This is Birmingham, not the leafy lanes of Kent. Poor language isnt a barometer of integrity. There was no violence, no vandalism and I haven't heard of any arrests.

I am afraid that poor language chanted en masse is a barometer, unless you believe that there are no decent people in Birmingham and that our women, children and old people should be subjected to this kind of thing.

Poor language? You having a giraffe? What do hear at every match across the country?

Poor language? You having a giraffe? What do hear at every match across the country?

Right??

And that makes it right does it??

I'm in that acceptance stage. I really do not want this man appointed, at all. But my love for the club overshadows this one man. When I get my season ticket this season, I will not be singing about Mcleish, but about how much I love the club i've supported since I was a child. And untill Mcleish does something that proves to me HE is the man for the job, then i'll feel this way for the rest of his regin in charge. I think more people need to get off that high horse and realise that OUR beloved club becomes before any one man, and we will support that club through anything.

Totally agree with gazton on this, you can't claim to be villa through and through then not turn up to games because you dont like the manager. So many people sprouting this kind of rubbish. Going to burn my shirt and stuff like that, I mean really?? Also the atmosphere at VP is terrible more recently whatever happened to us getting behind our team. How is it going to help the club if people boo the manager or players in the 1st game of the season. If you truly love our club then turn up when you can, and when you do turn up get behind anyone associated with the club 100%

This! Last year people booed after we played well and drew games or lost, I said then that I would rather have empty seats next to me than have them their as they were glory hunters who had expectations that we win every game (well the ones they turn up to)

Yes I am not happy but I love the Villa.

The guy on talkshite this morning who says its a bad as someone sleeping with his wife :lol: That would be a reality check sir and I am sure football would be the last thing on your mind :lol:

That a precious argument. All I can say is that I've heard bad/poor language every time I've been to Villa Park or any other ground from day one (1974).

I am EVEN more annoyed IF the following article is true from the Mirror...

Aston Villa turned down the chance to install former Valencia, Benfica and Atletico Madrid coach Quique Sanchez Flores as manager.

I know its the mirror, but the article goes into a lot of detail about who he wanted as his Asst Man, he has studied the villa team, only needs 2 or 3 signings to make us top 6 etc....

I don't want AM as manager by any means, mainly because there has to be other candidates that would be better for the club at this moment. I don't mind that he has managed Small Heath, but because there is a lot of fans who do, AM and the board will have extremely small margin for errors. Say that we appoint AM and then sell both Young and Downing, fans will start complaining and saying it's because the club shows no ambition in appointing AM and therefore all are players that are any good will leave. That will be what fans say even if the players desire to leave has nothing do with the appointment of AM.

But at the same I think fans have been overacting enormously. And on this board fans are writing insults that are not worthy of a fan of AVFC. It’s so easy to write these things hiding behind an alias, and when you don’t have to say it straight to Lerner or Faulkner’s face.

I will support AM if appointed BUT I hope they could consider someone else. The whole “Premier League experience” thing it’s important but not crucial for success. If we can attract a manager such as Quique Sanchez Florez, I think PL experience is not critical for him being able to take this club forward or not, especially not if his number two has that experience. As mentioned before in this thread, Wenger, Ancelotti, Mourhino and so on did not have did ok didn’t they? :P