• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I'm not a supporter of the decision to employ McLeish but I have been doing some research. Earlier I posted the link to that story about his time with Houllier at Lyon. Here is another story where Dick Advocaat speaks of McLeish's qualities when he got the Rangers job. It is interesting stuff.

http://bbc.in/mphWWw

Those will be the same qualities that saw McLeish lead Ranger to 3rd place in a 2 team league I presume?

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Benitez's time at Liverpool fall apart when that Ayestaran chap left? In fact, wasn't everything good Benitez ever achieved done with Ayestaran at his side?

According to that Mirror article, Ayestaran left for Benfica in 2008.

The 2008-2009 season was arguably Liverpool's most impressive in recent history (even though they won nothing). A close second in the League with a huge points total and only two defeats all season.

So if Ayestaran leaving was the reason for Benitez's failure in his last season at Liverpool, it must have been a delayed effect.

Not being funny but I would be far more concerned if we brought in another Euro-sop with no Premiership experience than I would if we sign AM. Where are the European coaches who have genuinely proven themselves over here ?

Wenger

Mancini

Ancelotti

Mourinho

Benitez

Hiddink

I think he meant which we could employ right now.

How many of them 'had proven themselves in the prem' when appointed in the prem?

It doesn't matter about the prem when these managers have done what they have. They were already proven top managers.

Benitez had won the Spanish league. Mourinho has won the ueafa cup and European cup back to back. Ancelotti had won the European cup. Mancini had won back to back league titles and Italian cups.

Know any European managers with those track records we could employ right now?

Not being funny but I would be far more concerned if we brought in another Euro-sop with no Premiership experience than I would if we sign AM. Where are the European coaches who have genuinely proven themselves over here ?

Wenger

Mancini

Ancelotti

Mourinho

Benitez

Hiddink

I think he meant which we could employ right now.

Benitez

Ranieri

I don't know if the rumours are true about Benitez but a 30m kitty doesn't seem totally unreasonable given the number of shirts that need filling. The appointment of AM is financial suicide so it must mean we aren't that strapped for cash!

I'm not a supporter of the decision to employ McLeish but I have been doing some research. Earlier I posted the link to that story about his time with Houllier at Lyon. Here is another story where Dick Advocaat speaks of McLeish's qualities when he got the Rangers job. It is interesting stuff.

Those will be the same qualities that saw McLeish lead Ranger to 3rd place in a 2 team league I presume?

He also won it a few times. People said they would prefer Benitez who took Liverpool to 7th and 5th in a 4 team league.

McLeish will be our manager. I was just trying to look beyond the obvious and attempt to find something positive and try and understand why our board have decided he is the man to lead our club.

You're right. If Randy so much as lines up an interview with him we should all hold a protest, and also write loads of rude stuff about RL and PF on this thread.

Sick thing is that if he does get made manager, then it is very likely we actually did tap him up - embarrassing!

A 'tapping up' would be a complete about turn in the conduct and policy of the ownership of Aston Villa. Simply, it didn't happen.

McLeish has undergone huge interference from, and suffered several bouts of irrational behaviour, howvever well meaning, from the board at Blues since they took over. They have signed players without his knowledge and, as we and McLeish saw on Sunday morning, they have put his better players up for sale, again without his knowledge.

If AM were to look around there are/were some interesting jobs out there, the biggest of which is Aston Villa, and he would consider that a buoyant vacancy market would be the best time to leave. The news from the Roger Johnson camp was merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

As I have stated before, the general media and protest furore over any potential appointment has played right into the hands of the Blues board, as no one is pointing the finger at the true reasons for AM's resignation, their actions.

Its either 1;

We've tried and failed with every manager we've attempted to get. We've panicked McCeish has become available and we've just thought he will do. If this is the case, the board are an utter shambles.

Or 2;

McLiesh was tapped up, which quite frankly is even more embarrassing than the 1st option and the board are a shambles.

Or maybe it's 3):

McCleish was already friendly with and well respected by people at Villa, and would have been a leading candidate from the start if he had been available, but poaching the local rivals' manager was not considered as an option. Then he resigned (without any prompting from Villa) and the situation changed.

Although I'm not thrilled about having McLeish as manager, I tend to think the truth is more like 3) than 2), although there may also be a bit of 1) (other managers were approached but were not interested or demanded too much money to spend on players).

All just speculation, of course...

Still feeling sick about this.

MAn I think I have lived a sheltered life or something, not having to deal with rejection/disappointment as I actually dont remember feeling this bad about something ever in my life.

Feel hurt, betrayed and disappointed. Low point!

IMO Randy is going for the cheap option, surely he must have had his lawyers crawling all over the McLeish/scum fallout and they must have given him positive signs that no compensation would be due, I really think he is looking to stop spending the money now and that spells big trouble, we need a new owner with loads of money now to push on, all the money spent on things off the pitch is all well and good and also having no income from sponsors for 2 seasons was a nice touch for acorns but ultimately everyone is judged by what goes on on the pitch and sadly we are in decline once again and are showing no signs of ambition anymore.....

MAn I think I have lived a sheltered life or something, not having to deal with rejection/disappointment as I actually dont remember feeling this bad about something ever in my life.

Think positively mate - if this is the worst thing that's ever happened to you then you've been alright up until now!

Sick thing is that if he does get made manager, then it is very likely we actually did tap him up - embarrassing!

A 'tapping up' would be a complete about turn in the conduct and policy of the ownership of Aston Villa. Simply, it didn't happen.

McLeish has undergone huge interference from, and suffered several bouts of irrational behaviour, howvever well meaning, from the board at Blues since they took over. They have signed players without his knowledge and, as we and McLeish saw on Sunday morning, they have put his better players up for sale, again without his knowledge.

If AM were to look around there are/were some interesting jobs out there, the biggest of which is Aston Villa, and he would consider that a buoyant vacancy market would be the best time to leave. The news from the Roger Johnson camp was merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

As I have stated before, the general media and protest furore over any potential appointment has played right into the hands of the Blues board, as no one is pointing the finger at the true reasons for AM's resignation, their actions.

Generally spot on sir, except the backtracking now going on at the Sty and statements from the LMA now being reported suggests that the tide is turning on that front

And from reading Wikipedia, go on a winless streak that lasted 2 months and ten games. Their is a good chance they met someone poor during those games!

I believe Randy and the board appointed McLeish but they respect him and think he can take this club forward.

I disagree completely.

I think they are an absolute bunch of arseholes who havnt got a scooby between them, there's not an ounce of footballing nouce running through the upper hierarchy of our beloved club. Stupid American clueless words removed, I'm actually really starting to hate the lot of em.

All seems like it was well sorted ages ago to me as well, this dialouge between McCrap and Randy has been going on for sometime. All of a sudden we are getting snippits of info from the club, press statements and there seems to be a lot of talk on every step of the negotiations supposedly ongoing.

I dont think there are any negotiations, they are just dipping each others cocks in glasses of champagne and sucking each other off down in London.

Ahh, I'm so annoyed.

Think positively mate - if this is the worst thing that's ever happened to you then you've been alright up until now!

Haha, yeah I guess I've been lucky or something...up till now.

Something is definitely wrong at the club and I don't quite know what it is.

I'm starting to suspect that Mr Lerner is planning an exit. If Downing follows Young out and the nose is appointed as manager it will only reinforce that suspicion.

Guess he'll need the extra cash to get his AVFC tatoo removed.