• McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Prove it.

Show me the figures.. and 600 morons shouting "**** off Small Heath!" doesn't count.

You're just being silly now. People might be accepting McLeish now because they have no choice and wish to remain loyal to the club, but don't confuse that with wanting him.

Can't you see that this is a massively divisive and dangerous appointment? I've seen Villa fans fighting amongst themselves on the terraces at Selhurst Park over the merits (or otherwise) of Brian Little - a bona fide Villa hero. What sort of reaction do you think McLeish will inspire if we lose a few games?

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't help thinking that some of the venom on here towards Houllier has contributed to our current predicament - with the Board seemingly seriously considering AM. Houllier was frequently criticised for being out of touch with the Premier League and often for being French. The level of vitriol on here was mental. Against this backdrop I can see how Lerner could have been persuaded to identify the current criteria for the next manager. I can also see how, unfortunately, of the managers available, in Lerner's eyes, AM seems the best candidate.

The club dont appear to acknowledge anything that a LOUD proportion of their fanbase is saying.

Wrong, no ifs or buts about it the majority of the fans do not want Alex McCleish at our club.

[\quote]

Prove it.

Show me the figures.. and 600 morons shouting "**** off Small Heath!" doesn't count.

Read this thread, the threads on other messageboard. Listen to the phone ins. Look at the people talking on the street.

Basically, use your eyes and ears, and then your brain to compute.

Well trying to think of some positives.

Its going to happen and as with anything in football you never know, better players and resources might bring out the best in AM, i doubt it but trying to think of something positive.

Players are not bothered about all this, they are bothered about playing in Champions League and money.

If Randy is ignoring all the pressure and just doing what he thinks best then he'll be backing him with money to sign players.

We'll have Foster and Dann their best two players please, thats it mind.

He might have been limited by the players and not be so stupidly negative with some better ones?

Errr not much else :(

I support Villa though i might not agree with the manager but when(if) we win i'll cheer and be happy and that will be partly down to the manager in charge.

Its the biggest gamble of Randys reign and we'll see how bothered he is by how much backing AM gets.

Read this thread, the threads on other messageboard. Listen to the phone ins. Look at the people talking on the street.

To be fair that is just anecdotal evidence and nothing really concrete if you're looking for numbers. Not saying the lad is right, just pointing it out...

If you've accepted McLeish, that's fine. No problem with that, although I massively disagree.

But how anyone can argue with the opinion that the majority, in fact the VAST majority, of Villa fans don't want mcLeish is baffling. It's pretty clear from any source that most fans don't want him.

I can't actually beleive that Lerner and his directors really want mcleish. I just think he is the only or least risky option left to them.

This for me goes deeper than Mcleish - why can club who have finished 6, 6,6, & 9th - struggle to get anyone better than a guy who has 2 relegations to his name in 3 premiership seasons. For me unless the people making the appoinment change - I can't see a way forward.

McLeish is a massively unpopular appointment. I cant believe anybody is arguing that.

Agreed! Very few people want him here and some are saying they will back him because they love the club. I can't see many jumping for joy that we are appointing McLeish!

I still can't help thinking that some of the venom on here towards Houllier has contributed to our current predicament - with the Board seemingly seriously considering AM. Houllier was frequently criticised for being out of touch with the Premier League and often for being French. The level of vitriol on here was mental. Against this backdrop I can see how Lerner could have been persuaded to identify the current criteria for the next manager. I can also see how, unfortunately, of the managers available, in Lerner's eyes, AM seems the best candidate.

I agree with this, as I suggested a few pages back I think the feisty nature of the Villa fan-base has spooked Mr Lerner somewhat, from those who booed MON towards the end of his regime, then the ongoing problems with Houllier and then, finally, the uproar against McLaren, I get the feeling Lerner may have the idea that he's going to get criticised no matter what he does and has to draw the line somewhere.

Unfortunately for him it's a massive FAIL in terms of where he has decided to draw it.

I've had my season ticket for 26 years but based purely upon the last 5 days events I wont be renewing. The same goes for the other 5 who I sit with. I've followed Villa home and away but next year it will be the reserves and the academy for me. I won't be going until AM gets the bullet.

Driving home from a meeting in London late last night I stopped outside the Holte End and sat there for 20 minutes and felt saddened at the total disregard for the fans from Lerner and that prick Faulkner. Our club has been turned into a laughing stock

To be fair that is just anecdotal evidence and nothing really concrete if you're looking for numbers. Not saying the lad is right, just pointing it out...

Normally I think website views aren't representative but this is just overwhelmingly across the board. The newspaper polls and the protest bear this out.

If you've accepted McLeish, that's fine. No problem with that, although I massively disagree.

But how anyone can argue with the opinion that the majority, in fact the VAST majority, of Villa fans don't want mcLeish is baffling. It's pretty clear from any source that most fans don't want him.

This. I can only guess the agument is for arguments sake, or it's a head in the sand type moment. I can't believe anyone would argue any different.

Yes the message board is a small percentage of the fan base, but I think it is a fairly decent reflection of peoples opinions. You get a wide range of characters on the message boards, ranging from ranters to more lay backed people. The vast majority seem to agree on this matter, I have only read a handful of people who like the idea, and I've read various message boards and the message is the same on all of them.

I think as with most fans on here, I’m really trying not to over react and to see any positives that this may have. I just can’t – he’s been relegated twice, he has spent money and failed, he has no supporters on side and he will not attract or attempt to attract the players we want. This Graham Taylor Mk2/latter O’Leary appointment.

Welcome back the modern equivalents of Mark Kinsella, Oyvind Leonhardsen, Ulises De La Cruz and Ronny Johnsen. Devastated. Remember this man rates Liam Ridgewell.

I won't be going until AM gets the bullet.

Even if we get back in the top 6? Speculative I know but we don't know how it's going to turn out. Our displeasure with the appointment of McLeish should be aimed at Lerner, Faulkner and Krulak, not Alex.

Fair enough not renewing but you are saying you will go back when McLeish is gone. You are okay with the people that appointed him then?

I'm Villa till I die, I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Villa till I die.

But I'm going to burn my kit and refuse to go to the games until McLeish is gone. It's not because he's an ex-Blues manager, I just don't think he's good enough for this club.

But, having said that, he's a Bluenose scum and he's not welcome here as a result. All together now... Shit on the city tonight.

If people claim to be Villa till they die, yet contribute to a cacophony of boos the first time McLeish emerges from the tunnel at VP, then I call them liars and hypocrites.

There's a strong chance I won't be going to any games next season. The reason for that is my dismay at the actions of other Villa fans; both in the last 2 weeks but also in the previous 9 months. Villa Park has had an almost poisonous atmosphere and I can only see it getting worse.

I'll support the team next season, regardless of who the manager is. But my absence is not due to the new manager, or the board. When you boo, it won't be in my name.

The 'prem experience' prerequisite has put too much constarint on them. If they appointed Flores and he failed no one would have blamed them.

Actually, had they appointed Flores and he had failed people would be ripping Flores and the board apart and I think you know that as well. It doesn't take much for fans to turn on a manager, a few poor results or a streak of boring football and the hunt is on. Football fans are very, very sensitive when it comes to managers and their performances.