• McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

If its between Martinez and Coyle FFS what a depressing state of affairs

There are top managers available but Randy is making a massive statement, he'll take us the same way as The Browns

Name me these said managers please.

1. Van Gaal

2. Rijkaard

3. Rafa Benitez

Has it crossed your mind that maybe they dont want the job or Randy doesnt want to give them the job?

Not sure about option 1, but 2 and 3 applied, 3 was interviewed. If they did not what the job, why apply? :winkold:

Why wasnt i informed about this!? :winkold:

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

End of the day, Steve Bruce outperformed Roberto Martinez at Wigan Athletic.

Steve Bruce at Wigan - 14th and 11th

Roberto Martinez at Sunderland - 16th and 16th

Why isn't Steve Bruce on our shortlist?

Martinez gets less stick because he's a likeable guy and because he's Spanish so people naturally associate that with him playing beautiful, Barca-style football. When in reality, he got outperformed at the same club by an unfashionable Englishman by the name of Stevie Bruce.

Higher and lower glass ceilings with that style of football. Do you think Guardiola would come over here and win the league if he took over a 7th-10th side? Probably not. He'd need to instill his style of play on the team and build on it gradually.

right, instead of people complaining, can someone do some helpful analysis?

For a start, it would be interesting to have a list of every Martinez transfer at Wigan, how much he paid, whether they were a hit or flop.

His transfers have been flops an a lot of people will point to Bosselli.

But positives are Diame, Moses, McCarthy, Al Habsi and McArthur.

If Martinez wants to be a top manager then he has to be ambitious enough to grasp opportunities when they arrive. Villa is his best opportunity so far. He would be mad to turn us down if he's offered the job!

Or mad to take it on, depending what the conditions are :lol:

Touchline at VP or touchline in front of 10,000 at the Dave Whelan stadium? Hmm, let me think about it. :?

The reason Bruce performed better than Martinez is because Bruce plays the type of tactics that will win you a certain amount of games – it’s that direct, tackle hard, hoof it up to the big man when you’ve run out of ideas type of shit that MON perfected.

Martinez plays a much more complex and diverse style, the style Houllier began to implement last season. It’s tough and requires the right players with the right mentality – not easy when you are at Wigan. But that’s who he is and how he wants to do it. I think he’s got a great chance of success playing that type of football with us and could break that glass ceiling which managers like Bruce seem to hit.

Thats all well and good but if we have any ambitions of being a top club we cant afford another poor season

Were falling more and more behind and fading into midtable obscurity

We need a manager to come in and make an instant impact if we appoint Martinez i can't see us being any better than a midtable side for a long time to come.

Don't think Martinez would necessarily be a bad choice as Villa boss, but from what I've heard from his camp Villa will need to be VERY persuasive.

We shouldn't need to persuafde him at all.

Hi Bobby, would you like to manage a real club with a proper history, fanbase, record in the top flite, big name players, a chance to win things or would you like to stay in a shithole like wigan playing football infront of one man and his dog and resigned to the fact that the best you can ever ever hope to achieve is to avoid relegation with one game to spare.

If he does get offered the villa job he should be sectioned if he turns it down.

If its between Martinez and Coyle FFS what a depressing state of affairs

There are top managers available but Randy is making a massive statement, he'll take us the same way as The Browns

Name me these said managers please.

1. Van Gaal

2. Rijkaard

3. Rafa Benitez

Has it crossed your mind that maybe they dont want the job or Randy doesnt want to give them the job?

Not sure about option 1, but 2 and 3 applied, 3 was interviewed. If they did not what the job, why apply? :winkold:

Why wasnt i informed about this!? :winkold:

Proberly because your on here morning and night! :lol:

It scares me how some people are trying to put a positive spin on Martinez being appointed. It shows how desperate we have become.

Who said he's being appointed? I'm kinda getting the vibe he turned us down out of loyalty to Wigan. Probably has a liking for pies or something.... hey maybe he'll buy Dunne as he can recommend all the good pie shops ;-)

Listening to what Martinez's Chairman has said, i dont think he will jion us, even if hes offered the job.

Seems to be a pretty close relationship there.

Dont ask me why, but im still thinking Mark Hughes.

He flew back from his holidays to talk to us, if we offer him the job he will take it. Wigan cant cope with our financial resources.

Did he? From what I read earlier somewhere I took it to be that he was back because his holiday was over and not that he had curtailed his holiday. You are suggesting he cut it short?

Whelan must know he's going to knock us back if he's lined up all the press

Seems like he is trying to save face and show that he did everything he could to keep Bobby including offering him a new contract.