• Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope faulkner can't convince Martinez to manage us

Don't you think the owner is going to have a say in this.

Faulkner bashing is cretinous.

He's the usual blame guy. Always happens, the fans don't have a clue what is going on and if they don't like the situation they pick the easiest target.

At the end of the day none of us know anything.

Im just responding to what somebody else said

I don't think Martinez is ready to manage a big club yet. If he'd steered Wigan to a couple of top 10 finishes, with maybe a good cup run - he'd be worth considering.

To put in perspective, he's not achieved as much as Curbishley did at Charlton - and I think we all feel the same way about Curbishley as Villa manager.

What did Moyes achieve before going to Everton??

What did Villas Boas achieve before managing Porto??

What did Mourinho achieve before managing Porto??

What did Wenger achieve before going to Arsenal??

See where im going with this??

Edit: You can also add Pep Guardiola to that list...a manager who had achieved absolutely sweet fook all before taking over at Barca

If Martinez wants to be a top manager then he has to be ambitious enough to grasp opportunities when they arrive. Villa is his best opportunity so far. He would be mad to turn us down if he's offered the job!

Or mad to take it on, depending what the conditions are :lol:

Touchline at VP or touchline in front of 10,000 at the Dave Whelan stadium? Hmm, let me think about it. :?

10,000 happy with you saving them from relegation, or 36,000 baying for you blood, when its apparent you are out of your league :winkold:

Whatever loyalty he may feel toward Wigan and Dave Whelan, there's no doubting the huge difference in the size of Wigan and Villa and this is one of those cases where the job should be selling itself if the man in question has serious ambition. If Villa genuinely believe he is our man and we fail to persuade him - if he really needs persuading - given all that we can offer, serious questions would then have to be asked.

Weve had the applications, it seems to be something we are telling them, that is turning them off.

And i dont believe we turned Maclaren down because he was unpopular with the fans.....

So was Houllier, and the board were prepared to stand by him for another couple seasons :winkold:

Houllier may have been unpopular but he didn't attract quite the same level of vitriol as we saw toward McLaren this week.

Even if he had, the board would have been sensible to conclude that having gone down that road once they weren't going to stick their necks out again quite so soon unless they really believed the man was worth that kind of commitment in the face of such overwhelming hostility.

I really don't know what we are telling the candidates, if in fact we've actually said anything directly to any of them. It seems that all of the most likely have been 'contacted' or 'sounded out' but none have actually made it to an interview yet. It even sounds as though Villa haven't yet had the chance to 'persuade' Martinez contrary to Whelan's assumption that the interview has already taken place and that we are still gearing up for it.

To be honest, this is what is frustrating me most now - the club has proved highly adept at keeping things very close to their chest but clearly the likes of McLaren, Benitez and now Martinez have been pinpointed as legitimate candidates. That they have since been dismissed before an interview has even taken place - or that we are still waiting to speak to Martinez having been granted permission - whilst the list of possibles continues to shorten, whether it be by offers at other clubs (in the case of Jol) or publicly ruling themselves out (as we are led to believe in the case of Ancelotti) or us supposedly declaring that we are not interested (in the case of Hughes), leaves me wondering if the club actually has as tight as grip on the situation as we think/hope.

I find Faulkner's statement this morning slightly worrying because it reads as though they are still some distance away from announcing anything. It could just have been in response to the fact that the Martinez story came out last night and there is something tangible to respond to but I just don't know.

What I do know is that the longer things drag on - and I appreciate that it is only a week since Houllier's exit was confirmed - then the uncertainty will grow. Because the media don't seem to have any more of a clue than we do, it's essentially becoming open season for the press to portray the club in negative terms, and if nothing were to materialise from the Martinez link, they will go to town on the fact that we couldn't entice an unproven manager from a much smaller club. I realise that I'm falling into the trap of condemning the board for sins yet to be committed but I can see where the tabloid press is going to take this, not to mention the more reactionary supporters among us, if things aren't resolved relatively soon.

And it's worth remembering that there is only just over a week to go before supporters lose the option of applying for the interest-free credit option on any season ticket purchase - and it seems evident that a lot of fans are hedging their bets until the situation becomes clearer.

The media thought it was Hughes. Then they threw in Ancelotti. Followed by McLaren and Benitez. Now it's Martinez.

I wont believe anything until the club release a statement. There's too much smoke and mirrors going on along with journos putting two and two together and getting seven.

Martinez

• Avoided relegation on the last day of the season.
    No experience at the top end of the league.
    Only honour on his CV is a League One title with Swansea.

Is this really the standard of manager we’re looking for?

I’m hoping that there’s no truth to this.

He's the usual blame guy. Always happens, the fans don't have a clue what is going on and if they don't like the situation they pick the easiest target.

At the end of the day none of us know anything.

I also see people praising the board that were aiming high before a manager is in place and the fact we don't really know anything.

It works both ways, but I don't see you and others saying anything when that happens.

Being optimistic and then disappointed is a downhill slope to be fair.

We should have got Jol

Why don't you take a little break from posting?

Are you happy with the direction the Club is going in ?

I'm delighted that the club is taking its time during the close season to get the right appointment. Its a shame that you're so emotionally involved in something you know so little about.