• Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its between Martinez and Coyle FFS what a depressing state of affairs

There are top managers available but Randy is making a massive statement, he'll take us the same way as The Browns

How is it Randy's fault if the "top managers" DON'T WANT to come and manage here? He could offer them massive transfer budgets and dancing girls but if they are not interested in the Villa, they are not interested, and there is nothing that you, Randy, The General or any of us can do about it.

Support whoever they DO appoint and stop bitching.

Because IF that happens it no longer is speculation and then becomes fact. At which point you could fairly criticise the board if you didn't like the decision. But don't criticise them for what might happen. :bang:

What the hell are you on about? I'm not criticising them for what might happen. I'm discussing the possible appointment of Martinez and my feelings if that were to happen.

As McClaren has confirmed AVFC have made NO contact with him at all, then that just goes to show Pat "know it all" Murphy actually knows

very little of what's going on these days at VP.

Perhaps Radio 5 Live need to consider the facts before sticking him on as the voice of authority.

Talksport have also been spouting tosh also and if anyone wants to get their viewpoint over concerning the manager vacancy and fan power (or lack of it)

then please contact Catherine, one of the programme's researchers. I've just been texted her number if anyone wants it.

You couldent accidentally put it on here? :lol:

There are top managers available but Randy is making a massive statement, he'll take us the same way as The Browns

Name me these said managers please.

Don't think Martinez would necessarily be a bad choice as Villa boss, but from what I've heard from his camp Villa will need to be VERY persuasive.

I think I would be far more concerned if Martinez turned us down than the fact that we were considering a younger, more inexperienced manager.

Whatever loyalty he may feel toward Wigan and Dave Whelan, there's no doubting the huge difference in the size of Wigan and Villa and this is one of those cases where the job should be selling itself if the man in question has serious ambition. If Villa genuinely believe he is our man and we fail to persuade him - if he really needs persuading - given all that we can offer, serious questions would then have to be asked.

I worry about the message it sends it Martinez turns us down.

We can't attract top quality players

When we sign players and turn them into top quality we can't keep them

And now it seems we can't attract a top class manager.

But he has a villa tattoo and is a nice guy so Randy is still a god!!!

In all honesty i'd be slightly disappointed in Martinez as i was hoping for a bigger name but he's a guy i could get behind and there's potential to do well.

Because he feels he needs another season at Wigan before stepping up with a bigger club. He has a good thing at Wigan why risk it for us? The fans will instantly turn on him, least at Wigan he can make mistakes while learning and not be judged on it.

Great, so we're going to get turned down by a man who most of us dont think is even up to the job.

Where does this leave us? Knocking on Rafa's door I'd hope.

I think we have already made that choice. All we are doing is going through the list we had drawn up........just in case!

How does he have a good thing at Wigan? No money, no direction, average players and hardly any fans. Frankly if it was a young player coming from Wigan and he had doubts and needed the club to be sold to him then all of you would be saying how you dont really want someone who needs to be convinced of the club.

This keeps getting wheeled out.

Its so stupid its unbelievable.

I worry about the message it sends it Martinez turns us down.

We can't attract top quality players

When we sign players and turn them into top quality we can't keep them

And now it seems we can't attract a top class manager.

But he has a villa tattoo and is a nice guy so Randy is still a god!!!

In all honesty i'd be slightly disappointed in Martinez as i was hoping for a bigger name but he's a guy i could get behind and there's potential to do well.

We can't attract quality players - which is why we needed a top manager in who can persuade them to join.

Can't imagine Martinez doing that.

All depends on what the plan is at board level. If they want to cut out any further investment, flog off what we've got left and try to 'survive', Martinez is a decent shout. If we want to progress, improve our standing in world football then he's clearly not.

End of the day, Steve Bruce outperformed Roberto Martinez at Wigan Athletic.

Steve Bruce at Wigan - 14th and 11th

Roberto Martinez at Sunderland - 16th and 16th

Why isn't Steve Bruce on our shortlist?

Martinez gets less stick because he's a likeable guy and because he's Spanish so people naturally associate that with him playing beautiful, Barca-style football. When in reality, he got outperformed at the same club by an unfashionable Englishman by the name of Stevie Bruce.

1. Van Gaal

2. Rijkaard

3. Rafa Benitez

Can the people who are saying this is all Faulkner's fault and he's ruining the club please substantiate these beliefs with proof?

All I see on this board is hear say, wild stabs in the dark and blame mongering.

The life of a Villa fan!

No they can't.

However it his first position with a football club. and things seem to have gone downhill since he became involed.

He doesn't strike me as a very authorative figure.

but make your own up if he is good CEO or not.

Whatever loyalty he may feel toward Wigan and Dave Whelan, there's no doubting the huge difference in the size of Wigan and Villa and this is one of those cases where the job should be selling itself if the man in question has serious ambition. If Villa genuinely believe he is our man and we fail to persuade him - if he really needs persuading - given all that we can offer, serious questions would then have to be asked.

Weve had the applications, it seems to be something we are telling them, that is turning them off.

And i dont believe we turned Maclaren down because he was unpopular with the fans.....

So was Houllier, and the board were prepared to stand by him for another couple seasons :winkold:

1. Van Gaal

2. Rijkaard

3. Rafa Benitez

Has it crossed your mind that maybe they dont want the job or Randy doesnt want to give them the job?

The Brown's fans are more optimistic about this season. They've appointed a new relatively young and inexperienced head coach (to work with a vastly experienced president, and have some young and potentially good draft players to play alongside their vets.

It's not all doom and gloom. :lol:

Don't think Martinez would necessarily be a bad choice as Villa boss, but from what I've heard from his camp Villa will need to be VERY persuasive.

I think I would be far more concerned if Martinez turned us down than the fact that we were considering a younger, more inexperienced manager.

Agreed. If Paul Faulkner cannot persuade the manager of Wigan to manage Aston Villa he should resign on the spot.