• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

End of the day, Steve Bruce outperformed Roberto Martinez at Wigan Athletic.

Steve Bruce at Wigan - 14th and 11th

Roberto Martinez at Sunderland - 16th and 16th

Why isn't Steve Bruce on our shortlist?

Martinez gets less stick because he's a likeable guy and because he's Spanish so people naturally associate that with him playing beautiful, Barca-style football. When in reality, he got outperformed at the same club by an unfashionable Englishman by the name of Stevie Bruce.

Because Randy agrees his face looks like a Spud!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It scares me how some people are trying to put a positive spin on Martinez being appointed. It shows how desperate we have become.

Who said he's being appointed? I'm kinda getting the vibe he turned us down out of loyalty to Wigan. Probably has a liking for pies or something.... hey maybe he'll buy Dunne as he can recommend all the good pie shops ;-)

Listening to what Martinez's Chairman has said, i dont think he will jion us, even if hes offered the job.

Seems to be a pretty close relationship there.

Dont ask me why, but im still thinking Mark Hughes.

He flew back from his holidays to talk to us, if we offer him the job he will take it. Wigan cant cope with our financial resources.

The only facts we know is that we have asked permission to talk to Martinez , good business sense says make a list of possilbe candidates , interview them and make a descision. We do not know who else has been or will be interviewed. If the board reads the comments on here and acts on them then no-one would ever get the job.

Wow. Each day so much shit happens :D........... but not really.

I like Martinez.. he seems like a nice bloke who gets his side to play the right away. I think hes great for clubs like Wigan.

But this is Aston Villa. We always finish in the top 10. Mainly the top 6. We need a manager to keep our stars (besides Young) and rebuild a squad to challenge for the top 4 or at very least europa positions.

Martinez is not ready. He is 37 years old.. he has no experience at such a big club and will probably not get the respect from the high calibre players.. certainly not bring them in.

We may as well hire Laursen or Dublin who are similar aged and have passion for the club. Its no time to get a manager who has very little experience.

A move such as this would show the lack of ambition.. and would prove Bent signing was smack of desperation to protect his investment ( as an Premier League club ).

I hope its not Martinez.. if it is.. i wish him luck.. but we must aim higher.

Time will tell..

Because he feels he needs another season at Wigan before stepping up with a bigger club. He has a good thing at Wigan why risk it for us? The fans will instantly turn on him, least at Wigan he can make mistakes while learning and not be judged on it.

Because if he gets Wigan relegated next year, he wont get a job in the premier league again

I wonder how the Wigan fans feel about Martinez possibly coming here? Would be nice to know their views.

Id look myself but im not the type of weirdo to go trawling through other teams fan forums

(im looking at you Redman and Glastonspur!)

If its between Martinez and Coyle FFS what a depressing state of affairs

There are top managers available but Randy is making a massive statement, he'll take us the same way as The Browns

Name me these said managers please.

1. Van Gaal

2. Rijkaard

3. Rafa Benitez

Right first of all these are all available are they?? (I'm not sure van Gaal would say yes to us)

van Gaal - undoubtedly brilliant. He is 59 though and would want another CL club.

Rijkaard - Reputedly difficult but I would have spoken to him.

Benitez - **** off.

Comparing Bruce and Martinez is not worthwhile at all.

Why? Age and different squads, the latter being totally uninteresting as well.

History is full of managers getting that ONE big chance to form their careers. And history is full of people switching jobs all the time, never performing any better elsewhere.

Steve Bruce is the definition of mediocre, he will never bring any club forward.

Martinez, he is talented. What he has done with crappy Wigan does not judge him completely in my view. He is very young, managers need time to develop their gamebook.

There are top managers available but Randy is making a massive statement, he'll take us the same way as The Browns

1. Van Gaal

2. Rijkaard

3. Rafa Benitez

Has it crossed your mind that maybe they dont want the job or Randy doesnt want to give them the job?

Not sure about option 1, but 2 and 3 applied, 3 was interviewed. If they did not what the job, why apply? :winkold:

Steve McClaren overlooked for Roberto Martinez.

McClaren - Eredivisie league champions, League Cup winners, UEFA Cup runners-up

Martinez - ...

Surely it's a no-brainer...

1. Van Gaal

2. Rijkaard

3. Rafa Benitez

Has it crossed your mind that maybe they dont want the job or Randy doesnt want to give them the job?

Not sure about option 1, but 2 and 3 applied, 3 was interviewed. If they did not what the job, why apply? :winkold:

right, instead of people complaining, can someone do some helpful analysis?

For a start, it would be interesting to have a list of every Martinez transfer at Wigan, how much he paid, whether they were a hit or flop.

I wonder how the Wigan fans feel about Martinez possibly coming here? Would be nice to know their views.

Id look myself but im not the type of weirdo to go trawling through other teams fan forums

(im looking at you Redman and Glastonspur!)

They dont seem too happy, although they have less than a handful of fans talking about it for obvious reasons(they dont have many)