• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

It's probably been said already but Whelan has been really cute over the last couple of days. As soon as he realised that Martinez was on a list of candidates rather than being a no.1 target, he put his arm round RM's shoulder publicly while quietly squeezing his neck.

His ultimatum to RM was either gamble on a job that you may well not get and burn your bridges here at Wigan, or stay with uncle Dave where your job is guaranteed. Slick and devious Dave! :thumb:

Well yes you may be right, but you've got to therefore say he got the job done for his club. At the end of the day they still have their manager and they've come out of it int he press pretty well. Whereas being straight up and honest has left us looking like mugs and without a manager.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have released a statement saying we didn't speak to Martinez, he was only a potential candidate

Yeah 24 hours after the press started killing us.

This is my point, all it would have took was a small statement saying we hadn't spoke to Martinez at this point but because we didn't we had the whole of yesterday and today being hammered by the press.

Our public image at the moment is terrible and i think it needs to be addressed.

What are you on about, how were we being hammered?

The only thing being said was that Martinez was either choosing Villa or staying at Wigan. What was we being hammered about?

:?

just watching the Martinez interview on SSN and the chap was pushing him to say he's turne Villa down and said "i believe you had a conversation with Villa yestarday?" to which he replied "no no no" then carried on talking about Wigan, Martinez came out of it looking like a top bloke SSN came out of it looking like prize pricks as per usual.

It doesn't really matter how SSN come out looking. The fact is, you still buy their product and watch their programmes and that is all that matters to them.

Err no interest?

Where does it say that then?

The statement clearly says we wanted to talk to Martinez and he decided not to talk to us.

So how was Martinez interested?

So he took the whole week to let us know he wasn't interested?

Could he have not just said that on day one?

Your claiming he had no interest is ridiculous.

Villa said nothing to the press until Whelan started chatting, conveniently just before he was due to meet Martinex to find out what was happening.

For all you know this might have happened a few times before with other managers.

Say what you want about whelan, but whilst we have been acting like mi5 he has just been open and done us.

i agree he's done us but IMO he's been far from open, he suggested that villa had made noises that RM was the number 1 choice, which could easily be a fabrication, and he suggested YESTERDAY that RM was still thinking about it, whereas we all know we gave up on him a few days back

like someone else said DW has been really cute, its a trumpet blowing exercise that on one hand buttered both us and RM up so no one would take offense and on the other hand made him look great and put pressure on RM to extend his 1 year left contract

the mans a **** clearing in the woods

Right so this media polava pretty much only leaves;

Moyes

Hughes

Coyle

in the realistic running for the job, hughes is obviously the fav as hes unnattached, I wish people would focus on the facts with martinez too, the guy was pushed into a corner and had to take a massive gamble on possibly not having a job next year, he didnt take it, however HUGHES HAS

so failing hughes going to chelsea I cant see why the club wont apprach him?

Also surely he cant be working now that JOL is at the club so surely villa just have to approach fulham for a chat!!

Guys, not been given any info here, but everything thats going on, has got me convinced that Mark Hughes will be our Manager.

In fact, its beginning to look nailed on, despite all the smoke and mirrors!

me too and fact Jol was signed so quickly means i think Fulham knew for a while as well

I'm starting to think Faulkner is way out of his depth as our CEO

I agree, from the outside it seems everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong since he joined. I dont like what ive seen from him in interviews either, seems like a smug git.

It's ridiculous how long it has taken them. This is not that complicated, you decide who you want,(should of been done when houllier fell Ill) if he is interested you interview him and either give him job or turn him down.

Repeat the process with next manager.

He was Lerners 1st choice 12 months ago so yes, Hughes looks nailed on

I would be very happy with that.

The guy has something about him that marks him out as a winner. But he will need time, and hopefully some on here will give him that time.

Big, big job sorting out the squad alone.

We just need to get this crap over and done with now. I can't believe Fulham wouldn't just let us appoint Hughes now that they have a new manager.

However, I still think that RL will take one last look at the Moyes situation and Coyle will be linked v.soon too.

Can't access oddschecker at work but anyone know who the current favourite is?

It's ridiculous how long it has taken them. This is not that complicated, you decide who you want,(should have been done when houllier fell Ill) if he is interested you interview him and either give him job or turn him down.

Repeat the process with next manager.

But if we cant appoint our main target until July the first?

Look, if we admitted it was Hughes, or showed any sign that it was him, then they could rightly assume we had approached him before he quit.

Might not be true, but thats how it would look to a lot of people, and Randy likes to keep the clubs name clean, hence Whelans kind comments yesterday.

So all you do, is carry as if your still searching, when in reality, the choice has been made.

Smoke and Mirrors! :winkold: