• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

just watching the Martinez interview on SSN and the chap was pushing him to say he's turne Villa down and said "i believe you had a conversation with Villa yestarday?" to which he replied "no no no" then carried on talking about Wigan, Martinez came out of it looking like a top bloke SSN came out of it looking like prize pricks as per usual.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think Faulkner is way out of his depth as our CEO

Maybe that's a legitimate point, I'm sure he works hard at his job but that role is massive at any club. And as far as managers go he doesn't look that good at it so far. And you could argue he shouldnt have let the wage bill go out of control like it did. And then let the likes of reo Coker go for free.

We should wait and see who we get but I think you might be right.

SSN are making us look like a right bunch of MUGS.

Sky Sports have showed themselves to be fools to be honest, the amount of stories they are trying to push through so that people put a bet on certain managers. So far this week they've pushed the McClaren, FSW and Martinez - with the constant talk about what the betting rate is.

It's all about getting money through Sky Bet. They don't have a clue what's happening.

what he says

And what would have happened if Villa went about it the wrong way, and RM rejected us???? Judging by the way RM and Whelen talk they are friends as well as colleagues. It would have got out and we would have been made out to be a bunch of Rafa's. And we all know how we felt about him after the way he handled the GB situation.

If Whelen never come out no one would have known about this situation at all. Hence the reason we had to release a statement. If people stop and read the official statement I don't see whats embarrassing about this at all.

It seems the general public are buying we were turned down by Martinez and praised how well Dave Whelan handled the situation with his strong relationship. No praises about our 'professionalism', but instead we've now labelled as a laughing stock and a nothing club.

Well done board. Why not keep us in the dark further and leave the media to embarass us some more. That's really gonna make the list of supposely good candidates take us seriously.

The way they've gone about this is all wrong to be honest. They haven't got a clue on how the football world works.

why are you concerned so much about what the media say? they don't like us because they get no info out of the club. add in the fact that so many reporters love MON and they see him as wronged by randy, and we are always going to get the media siding against us.

before january they were all going "villa have no money, no ambition" etc. then when we signed bent (with none of them getting a sniff before it was all practically done-they didn't like that) and all their views had been proved wrong they started on the "well he's massively overpriced and its a waste of money". Contrast to the reaction of torres £50 mil, caroll £35 mil which were "shows of ambition and definitely worth it". well how did that work out? i reckon you could now ask anyone involved in football and they would all say bent was the deal of the window, completely worth the money (if not underpriced) and a big show of ambition. our actions were proved to be the thing that mattered, not what the press said at the time.

as with bent, it will be the end result (ie what manager we get) that defines how embarrassing/unambitious/however you want to describe it, that we are in this manager search. Not what the media say.

It's probably been said already but Whelan has been really cute over the last couple of days. As soon as he realised that Martinez was on a list of candidates rather than being a no.1 target, he put his arm round RM's shoulder publicly while quietly squeezing his neck.

His ultimatum to RM was either gamble on a job that you may well not get and burn your bridges here at Wigan, or stay with uncle Dave where your job is guaranteed. Slick and devious Dave! :thumb:

Professionally and quietly?

Instead of letting the press bash us we could respond. I mean why not tell us yesterday that we hadn't spoken to the Martinez while the media we're claiming he'd spoke to us and was turning us down?

In terms of transfers then yes it's best to keep quiet but when our image is being effected and the press are killing us, releasing information that helps fight our corner wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

We are acting professionally and not spouting everything to the press. Dave Whelan felt that he wanted to do that, we have no control over that.

In regards to responding... we've made 2 statements in the past 3 days. What more do you want? In depth details and phone numbers? Would you like us to come out and slam Sky Sports?? Get real.

Well Matt Kendrick said on Radio WM this morning that we had spoke to Martinez and the board were disappointed that he asked to sleep on the decision.

Somebody somewhere is being less than honest - lets hope that its not our club.

We have released a statement saying we didn't speak to Martinez, he was only a potential candidate

Yeah 24 hours after the press started killing us.

This is my point, all it would have took was a small statement saying we hadn't spoke to Martinez at this point but because we didn't we had the whole of yesterday and today being hammered by the press.

Our public image at the moment is terrible and i think it needs to be addressed.

Just tuned into SSN and no surprise there, I said it yesterday. I think it's quite a romantic love affair Martinez has with Wigan and one I admire - it's just a shame we have come off looking like the mugs at the end of it. To be honest, Randy and Fatty should have seen it a mile off, any sensible fan knew he was attached to that club more so than many a manager in the game at present and we were always going to come off badly. We may have had a disaster on our hands had we even got our man given his somewhat average record and I even may stretch to say that I'd gladly take this embarrassment on the chin if it means we didn't get the fake Pep Guardiola.

No surprise to see the usual suspects squealing on here too. I'd be more than happy with Coyle or Hughes, we need a manager who is going to motivate this team and get us back on the right track to cope with the potential loss of our most influential players - not a gamble on an inexperienced manager in the hope of retaining a fastly fading dream of playing like Barcelona, because guess what, Arsenal are the closest to matching that ethos and they've won **** all.