• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

While I would be quite disappointed if we did appoint Martinez (I'd still support him though) it may not be him. How many managers has it appeared the Villa job is nailed on for so far?

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go fans go into hysterics. Trust me we do better with these type of managers who have fire in their belly to win.

Oh no, we've been linked with a manager I didn't have my heart set on!!!

BURN EVERYTHING

Sorry Martinez not good enough - no ambition in this club what so ever, complete and utter farce, the Villa's a joke - enjoy the mid table finishes and odd relegation scraps!

Now we know why Doug sold to Randy Lerner, reminded him of his younger self!

We're a football club, not a **** bank.

Randy or the board if youre reading this were not all this moronic please believe me.

Here we go fans go into hysterics. Trust me we do better with these type of managers who have fire in their belly to win.

I agree with you there, I would much rather us have a manager who thinks Villa is a big job and wants to succeed. They will always give that extra 10%.

How can the board not even consider Mark Hughes (told Fulham we didn't want to speak to him etc) yet we ask Wigan for permission to speak with Roberto Martinez?

Do the board really think that Martinez > Hughes ?

Problem with Hughes is he would be gone within 2 years. The bloke has absolutely no loyalty

Ask Swansea fans about Martinez' loyalty. If he came to us and was moderately successful and was then approached by Valencia, he'd be off like a shot too.

(To be fair he might not BUT he doesn't deserve a loyalty badge!)

Sorry Martinez not good enough - no ambition in this club what so ever, complete and utter farce, the Villa's a joke - enjoy the mid table finishes and odd relegation scraps!

Now we know why Doug sold to Randy Lerner, reminded him of his younger self!

We're a football club, not a **** bank.

I remember feeling distinctly deflated with the appointments of Brian Little and John Gregory, but they did a good job and took us pretty close. What had Guardiola done before being appointed at Barcelona?

How can the board not even consider Mark Hughes (told Fulham we didn't want to speak to him etc) yet we ask Wigan for permission to speak with Roberto Martinez?

Problem with Hughes is he would be gone within 2 years. The bloke has absolutely no loyalty

Go where?

He'd have to be doing exceptionally well to go anywhere bigger would he not?

Martinez could well do a good job at Villa.

But I'm not sure my trust in the board will quite be the same. Talk of aiming for the top four is starting to sound a bit cheap. Yes we spent a tonne of cash on Bent but was the timing of his arrival coincidental or because we stood to lose a lot more money if we got relegated?

This appointment would say to me that we want to follow in Everton's footsteps. Aim for the Europa League and get some decent results in the league every season, maybe go on an occasional cup run too.

The thing is why would Martinez be any better than O'Neill? I could see him getting us into Europe but again, like O'Neill, I can't see him attracting the one or two players that could give us that little extra. For me it would only be a matter of time before us fans become frustrated again.

I wish we could just get a big name in and have one big go at cracking the top four but it looks like I'll just have to watch some pretty passing football instead.

Lol Martinez's current club is listed as Grumpster FC on wiki!

Didn't realise he was only 37 either.

Go where?

He'd have to be doing exceptionally well to go anywhere bigger would he not?

This

I think some people are missing the point about Martinez. It's his footballing philosophies which make him an attractive proposition.

You could give Steve Bruce a better set of players and be would produce the same mid table muck. Give Martinez a better set of players and his ideas would at least achieve top 6-8.

Based on what?

Look at the facts.

Steve Bruce outperformed Roberto Martinez at Wigan Athletic.

My god. Bruce had the likes of valencia and palacios in that team not to mention their best player by far for the past two seasons nzogbia. The first two were sold probably against martinez' will and the other will be off in the summer - here with a bit of luck.

Do you not think the squad bruce had to work with was far far better than the one martinez had?