Italian Football

Troglodyte

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Conspiracy alert. Stefan De Vrij concedes late penalty to allow Inter to beat Lazio in Champions League decider, he is taken off immediately

De Vrij joins Inter for next season

There's no history of that kind of behaviour in Italian football, right? 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

There's no history of that kind of behaviour in Italian football, right? 

No this would be a first.

• Haha 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Has to be said, the Lazio manager is a complete **** moron for playing him in the first place. If ever there was a case for putting a footballer on gardening leave it would have been for that match.

Totally agreed.

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm fine with that.  I like cyclical football and don't want the same old teams at the top necessarily.

A whole generation of football fans know Ajax to be just another average Dutch side, but that mid-90's side was incredible.  Van der Sar, the de Boer brothers, Davids and Seedorf, Overmars and Kluivert - just such a good Dutch production line.  Also, Jari Litmanen!  Pretty sure a load of that Ajax side (who beat Milan in the CL final) ended up going to Milan as well.

I don't think we will ever see the likes of Ajax be a major force again due to the way the game has gone with the money. You'll never see a Red Star Belgrade, Steaua Bucharest or PSV Eindhoven lift the Champions League.  I think Porto under Mourinho were the last team from a small nation to win it in 2003. 

• Like 2

On 21/05/2018 at 14:57, Dr_Pangloss said:

Has to be said, the Lazio manager is a complete **** moron for playing him in the first place. If ever there was a case for putting a footballer on gardening leave it would have been for that match.

It was absolute insanity to play him given the conflict of interests involved.

On 21/05/2018 at 12:16, Xela said:

I don't think we will ever see the likes of Ajax be a major force again due to the way the game has gone with the money. You'll never see a Red Star Belgrade, Steaua Bucharest or PSV Eindhoven lift the Champions League.  I think Porto under Mourinho were the last team from a small nation to win it in 2003. 

So sad. Money has ruined football.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Sarri left Napoli, Ancelotti appointed as replacement.

Think Napoli will start losing key players over next 12 months, don't really see Ancelotti as a great fit for a rebuilding process.

Sarri to Chelsea then?

and pay them incredibly well...

Zenit are an interesting team, flying last year until the director or whatever role he had died, apparently key to bringing all the players in and looking after them, after his death they went to shit, finished 5th which is shocking for them, mancini has done well to get his role with the national team

spent £85m last summer, they have some high potential Argentinians like mammana, kranevitter, rigoni, druissi, paredes, as well as buying russian internationals Kuzyayev, Ozdoyev, Nabiullin, Zabolotny and poloz, in their newly built 60k stadium, they should be a good team

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Monchi is a maestro in transfer market. Imagine Olsen costs a fraction of what Allison went for

Reported figures are between £7-10 million depending on source, but either way a liiiitle bit less than the Brazilian.

players in - pastore, kluivert, defrel, santon, schick, coric, bianda, cristante, zaniolo, mirante, fuzato, marcano - potentially maclolm and olsson 

players out - alisson, nainggolan , skorupski, iturbe, tumminello

net spend - £10m

Roma are one of those teams to me that never win anything but always sign interesting players and are good fun to watch, same as Bayer Leverkusen who also have great scouting network. Every league needs a team like that.

Shame that midfield they had two years ago of Leandro Paredes-Strootman-Naingollan has broken up as that was great fun.

Think that Turkish young player they have called Cengiz Under is one to watch. Struggled v Liverpool but he's looked very exciting in Seria A so could be the next 70-80m player to hit premier league in next few years, reminds me of Coutinho.

• Like 1

Â