Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I have a few mates who have all played at a decent level (championship and league 1) last time I played at all with them was an embarrasment. I consider my self a decent sunday league player and in brum played in sunday leagues highest league, but they are miles and miles ahead. The speed of thought is incredible.

So based on that Id set my self the target of 2 goals in a season for man united (both taps in from within the 6 yard box) but tbh doubt id finish many games due to exhaustion so would probably end on 0

Some of you older folks might remember a TV show from many years ago called Jim'll Fix It - Jimmy Saville making peoples' dreams come true, basically.

One guy on there was a Liverpool fan whose ambition was to play at Anfield. So they let him play 15 minutes in Tommy Smith's testimonial. Obviously he was thrilled. He played at a fairly high amateur level (about tomzep's I would imagine), and was optimistic that he could give it a decent go.

He was humiliated. He spent his whole time on the pitch helplessly chasing the balll around and being laughed at by the Kop. The players did eventually take pity on him and let him touch the ball a few times. Afterwards he was red-faced and sweating profusely, and swore that he woud NEVER again call any pro player "useless". The gap from his level to the pro's was a huge chasm.

Food for thought.

I agree. I think if I played up front for Manchester United for a season I'd be lucky to score once. Even if I had a year to get "professional footballer" fit before I made my debut I'd still be hopelessly out of my depth every single week. Maybe they would let me take a penalty?

It was a similar story when I watched the Villa legends play a local side. The legends couldnt do much running but they dominated the game and left young guys chasing shadows. Even players I didnt like down the villa looked like maradona. Being fit is only part of the game, reading the situation, technique, composure and decision making all out weighted the younger lads fitness

I dont think that amateur footballers are anywhere near as fit as professionals either, especially professionals in the top two divisions. An amateur has to hold down a job, while a professional gets paid to train for 20 hours a week and at the richest clubs has the undivided attention of a sports scientist to come up with exercise routines and a nutritionist/chef to cook his meals for him during the daytime. You see it time and again when big clubs meet small clubs in the cup, the small club just runs out of steam after an hour or so. A lot of that is down to the fact that they are chasing the ball for most of the game, but conditioning is a factor too.

I've played with a then premier league footballer in a close season in a friendly with all our pals. The best lads in our Sunday team, who you think could just do a job at a decent level, couldn't get near him. And he wasn't trying. I still think playing 90 mins week in, week out at Utd you'd get a couple of tap ins.

You wouldnt even get he tap ins, youd be strgugling to keep up with play and after 30 theyd probably have to carry most of us off. Liek at Emile Heskey, someone we could onyl dream of having as much ability as, someone 100 times teh footballer if not more of any person on this board, and he gets 3 in as season!! We need to admit to ourselves, we're less than the worst player in the confrence, wed get a big fat zero for the season

I have a few mates who have all played at a decent level (championship and league 1) last time I played at all with them was an embarrasment. I consider my self a decent sunday league player and in brum played in sunday leagues highest league, but they are miles and miles ahead. The speed of thought is incredible.

So based on that Id set my self the target of 2 goals in a season for man united (both taps in from within the 6 yard box) but tbh doubt id finish many games due to exhaustion so would probably end on 0

I was going to do something like this, well I mean post wise. I'd love to play a game at a professional level to see how far away I was. Not Premier League i.e. Man United as we are talking World class players but league 2, I'd love to think that with a bit of fitness work, extra bit of sharpness, I could give a real could do. (not excelling, just enough to not look stupidly out of place) It is most likely delusion, although a player at our saturday club last year for first month or two, started oldhams first game of season. I'd love to have a try at least. (not saying I could do it, would just love to give it a go)

Premiership though, well I think within 5 minutes, you'd just want to walk off the pitch and have a cry to yourself.

so that's what I always wonder to myself. like anything though, looks easier than it would be....

I wonder what all my 'life sats ' would be. heres some examples.... how many pints have i had, how many miles have i travelled, how many times i have stubbed my toe...how many times ive sneezed....had sex.....kicked a ball.

None of them are important but i'd be fascinated to know them.

I wonder how, I wonder why,

Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky,

And all that I can see, is just a yellow lemon-tree

(that's in your head now :nod: )

Why is Hampshire shortened to Hants. Whenever I encounter this at work I wonder, and it annoys me. It should be Hamps tbh
Even worse. Why is Shropshire shortened to Salop?

Why when something good happens to me, something equally bad happens to me straight afterwards and vice versa. Seems to be very equal in goodness and badness. Happened again today, something great happened this morning and then something of equal measure in my mind anyway of badness happened this afternoon. I even expect it these days. If something bad happens I expect something good later to happen.......instant balance in the world. I know I sound loopy.....

Â