Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

When did Black Friday become a thing this side of the pond?

Yeah I wondered that.  But then if it's a day where you're encouraged to go out and spend money it's always going to make its way over here eventually.

I had never heard of "Black Friday" until yesterday. We're so pathetic these days that we find another cultural bomb of an export to copy.

Why is the Mail doing this article as if it's perfectly normal and we expect these scenes every 'Black Friday'?

Or for that matter, why the Daily Mail just in general?

• Like 2

My wife and #1 daughter have gone out shopping. Just before they went they said: "Hey, hope the Black Friday stupidity doesn't apply over here". 

I said: "Don't be silly, that's just an American thing, nothing to do with us. It'll be a normal weekday". 

• Like 1

I had never heard of "Black Friday" until yesterday. We're so pathetic these days that we find another cultural bomb of an export to copy.

Why is the Mail doing this article as if it's perfectly normal and we expect these scenes every 'Black Friday'?

Or for that matter, why the Daily Mail just in general?

Don't worry, it's not just the UK that's pathetic. The rest of the English-speaking world is too.

I used to think we wrote the dates the way we do (or used to) because, although everyone knew the US did it the other way around, that was them and this was us.

Then, overnight (or so it seemed to me) it all changed because people heard the WTC attacks being referred to as "September 11" and thought "Oh, that's the new way of saying dates". Well, no, it's an old time-honoured AMERICAN way of saying dates.

Same with stuff like "the president travelled to London Tuesday". ON Tuesday, dammit.

Yes, I know, I should get over it.

• Like 2

Â