Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I find it fascinating how someone blind from birth can read a book and picture what is going on.

I don't know how somebody blind from birth can comprehend anything. Everything I think is based on pictures in my head. How do they apply descriptions or what they get from their other senses to anything?

Touch gives them shapes, language gives them descriptions and the imagination puts the 2 together I suppose. As for colours, I guess they can't know what is what. Apart from black.

I find it fascinating how someone blind from birth can read a book and picture what is going on.

I don't know how somebody blind from birth can comprehend anything. Everything I think is based on pictures in my head. How do they apply descriptions or what they get from their other senses to anything?

Touch gives them shapes, language gives them descriptions and the imagination puts the 2 together I suppose. As for colours, I guess they can't know what is what. Apart from black.

Racist.

But without being able to form an image I can't imagine how things could make sense.  It's the glue that holds all my understanding together.  If I was to suddenly become blind I would always refer to what I'd seen in the past.

But without being able to form an image I can't imagine how things could make sense. It's the glue that holds all my understanding together. If I was to suddenly become blind I would always refer to what I'd seen in the past.

Hence my wonderment :-)
  • Like 1

How do you know they see black ? ( which was my question earlier )

When their eyes are closed, like ours, I'm going to assume the lack of light means it is black. Therefore we can describe that to them. The rest we can't. We can't even assume they ever see white in any particular scenario. Unless they look directly at the sun, which they mustn't because that'll damage their ... never mind.

In the film Mask (with Eric Stoltz not Jim Carrey) the character works on a blind camp because of his disfigurement. He attempts to describe colours to a blind person by heating up a stone and saying this is red. The stone cools and this is blue. Can't get my head around that.

That is not far off.

But you had dreadlocks last week.  Now you're bald?  I am disappoint.  

I didn't say it was 'spot on' did I?

Although the sides and back of my head are shaved, funnily enough I was thinking about this yesterday, I bet VA, Ginko, 91 and you think my hair is like this

dreadlocking.jpg

but it's more like this at the moment -

scene-blonde-and-black-hairstyles.jpg

Bit longer on the top though...and shorter on the back and sides...ok, not like that either but it's the closest I could find...without posting a picture of myself...which I shall never do....

S1e11_SMOKEBOMB.gif

Ha! Ha! 

• Like 1

That is not far off.

But you had dreadlocks last week.  Now you're bald?  I am disappoint.  

I didn't say it was 'spot on' did I?

Although the sides and back of my head are shaved, funnily enough I was thinking about this yesterday, I bet VA, Ginko, 91 and you think my hair is like this

dreadlocking.jpg

Oh, but please.

• Like 1

Â