Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

How deep the Rabbit Hole goes.

How prejudice can be so consuming and blinding for people.

How corrupt and unethical some of our most 'legitimate' agencies are.

What kind of man Fred Hampton might've grown to be.

found yet another scuff on my car today where someone has driven into a parking space , judged it incorrectly and scratched my car .. driver front this time , last one was rear passenger side

that's the 5 time this has happened to me in 3 years ..everytime the other driver has just driven off even though its obvious they have damaged my car

Is Surrey home to every inept driver in the world ..or is Surrey trying to tell me something  ?

Edited by tonyh29

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

found yet another scuff on my car today where someone has driven into a parking space , judged it incorrectly and scratched my car .. driver front this time , last one was rear passenger side

that's the 5 time this has happened to me in 3 years ..everytime the other driver has just driven off even though its obvious they have damaged my car

Is Surrey home to every inept driver in the world ..or is Surrey trying to tell me something  ?

Dirty cockney Tories, what do you expect? 

You wouldn't get that with good, honest northerners. 

An old geezer left a hefty scrape on my car a couple of years ago, he left a note saying "call me, I have driven into your car" - but I didn't have the heart to follow up. 

I'm such a nice guy. 

One for the mods I guess, but what marks a topic thread on VT as "hot" ?  Is it the number of replies in a certain amount of time ? Or if it gets the next, say 10 updates before any other thread gets one ? ?

On 05/07/2018 at 20:31, lapal_fan said:

An old geezer left a hefty scrape on my car a couple of years ago, he left a note saying "call me, I have driven into your car" - but I didn't have the heart to follow up. 

I'm such a nice guy. 

I wonder, were you conflicted at all about that choice? You seem jovial and easy going, perhaps you weren't.

I loaned someone some money recently, they didn't repay it when they said they would, and ignored my calls for a month.

In that time I deliberated with myself over it, as I never will lend anything I can't afford to lose, I didn't need the money with any urgency, but I wondered what stance and decision to make.

Every principle has a promise and I wasn't going to end the follow up or wipe the debt without speaking to this person first.

But I heavily considered just writing it off as it was of little consequence to me, on the other hand though I wondered if that really helped anyone, me being 'nice' and writing it off. I would be without some money and it teaches this person not to be accountable.

Different situations I know, just curious to know if yours was an easy decision or not?

5 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I wonder, were you conflicted at all about that choice? You seem jovial and easy going, perhaps you weren't.

I loaned someone some money recently, they didn't repay it when they said they would, and ignored my calls for a month.

In that time I deliberated with myself over it, as I never will lend anything I can't afford to lose, I didn't need the money with any urgency, but I wondered what stance and decision to make.

Every principle has a promise and I wasn't going to end the follow up or wipe the debt without speaking to this person first.

But I heavily considered just writing it off as it was of little consequence to me, on the other hand though I wondered if that really helped anyone, me being 'nice' and writing it off. I would be without some money and it teaches this person not to be accountable.

Different situations I know, just curious to know if yours was an easy decision or not?

I have no idea who did it. I just had a note which was clearly written by an old person.

My car is hardly prestigious, so I figured the old person could probably do without the stress of having multiple phone calls and his premiums going up.  I could have done without it all to be honest.

Just didn't feel like the right thing to do, so I didn't bother.  If I'd have had a lovely new car, I'd have probably gone through the process. So I guess my "niceness" was actually cost based. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

One for the mods I guess, but what marks a topic thread on VT as "hot" ?  Is it the number of replies in a certain amount of time ? Or if it gets the next, say 10 updates before any other thread gets one ? ?

Ten or more posts made within the previous two hours (that was something I had wondered too).

You can have multiple threads being “hot” at the same time. When Villa get off to a bad start this coming season, expect On topic to be a like a scene from “The Towering Inferno” (Tony is William Holden, I suppose).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Did you get the money back in the end? 

I lend a mate a few hundred quid a ten years back and he never paid it back when he said he would and then stared ignoring the subject. In the end I had to exert a bit of pressure and lo and behold, he paid. 

We're still friends and he has grown up a lot in the subsequent years as he has got married, started a family etc, but it still irks me to this day when I think about it!

9 hours ago, Xela said:

Did you get the money back in the end? 

I lend a mate a few hundred quid a ten years back and he never paid it back when he said he would and then stared ignoring the subject. In the end I had to exert a bit of pressure and lo and behold, he paid. 

We're still friends and he has grown up a lot in the subsequent years as he has got married, started a family etc, but it still irks me to this day when I think about it!

Partially. There's $200 remaining.

His girlfriend and I have been friends for years and has always done the honest thing by me, I think it's her influence that saw something returned.

I think I will write off the rest unless this guy decides of his own accord to pay me back, I don't think he's been honest with himself about his ability to pay me, despite having the best of intentions.

Know what you mean, can certainly be a source of tension!

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Partially. There's $200 remaining.

His girlfriend and I have been friends for years and has always done the honest thing by me, I think it's her influence that saw something returned.

I think I will write off the rest unless this guy decides of his own accord to pay me back, I don't think he's been honest with himself about his ability to pay me, despite having the best of intentions.

Know what you mean, can certainly be a source of tension!

I get annoyed at myself for having my good nature taken advantage of in situations like this. It's like I never learn that some folk dont treat others as they would like to be treated themselves.

On 05/07/2018 at 11:31, lapal_fan said:

I'm such a nice guy. 

The old person might think that the note blew off in the wind and he might feel guilt every day that he has left because you didn’t call him.

I hope you’re happy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I get annoyed at myself for having my good nature taken advantage of in situations like this. It's like I never learn that some folk dont treat others as they would like to be treated themselves.

Having a good nature, I think it's important to learn to be good to yourself as you would others. Which is going to involve disappointing people at times.

I have learnt the hard way from both sides of the coin. I have put people at a disadvantage due to a lack of consideration or ability to make amends, and I have suffered as a consequence of others taking advantage of my generosity.

I have a friend, who's homeless. Great guy, can't understand why he's living that way if I'm honest. He came very close to moving in with my Father at a very cheap rate of rent, I have given him money, we get along well. Yet the response I often get when I ask for a spare cigarette is that he's running low, and that, to him, might mean having 30 grams left!

I'd pick your battles and only get annoyed with yourself if you knowingly go in to a situation that has an unfavourable outcome.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Lend us some money mate :P

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Lend us some money mate :P

You've got no chance, I'm a Nigerian Businessman with a slight problem getting money out of the country but I have a great opportunity for him :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

On 02/07/2018 at 13:55, HanoiVillan said:

I'd be interested in people's answers to this:

Never thanked people for the answers to these. Mine: 

For the general public - it is perfectly possible to teach English to people who don't speak any English, it just requires patience and creativity. 

For government ministers and NHS trusts - the IELTS test is an abysmal way to evaluate somebody's English level in terms of whether or not they could cope working in a hospital. How does struggling to write an essay in 40 mins on, say, the virtues or otherwise of open-plan office spaces suggest that a gastroenterologist won't be able to perform her daily duties? We lose literally thousands of medical professionals each year through this stupidity. 

Anyway, someone turned the question around:

My answer on this one would be 'every time we, as an industry, celebrate as a 'success' getting someone who doesn't speak any English at all on to a Master's program, where they are inevitably going to cheat because they don't speak the language, we help to devalue a British university education even more'. 

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:25, turvontour said:

What would actually happen the morning after, if England were to win the world cup, in terms of people going to work? It would be the Monday morning after winning it the Sunday evening.

The media reported a rise in people off sick or coming in late the day after we beat Tunisia.

I suppose it would come down to the attitude of the individual business.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Â