Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've done it fairly recently using AncestryDNA.com (I don't THINK I'm a celebrity, but they let me off ;) )

I had pretty boring results. Mostly Irish and British, which I knew about anyway. Then some very small percentage of random places like Micronesia. 

Then it matches you up with people who are related to you and have also done the DNA test. So I had loads and loads of 3rd and 4th cousins showing up. And my mom, which would have been amazing if it wasn't for the fact that I know my mom and bought the test for her :D

I think if you know little about your background then it would be really interesting. Girl from work did it with her mom and found out they had Irish heritage (they had no idea) and her mom ended up finding close family members she never knew she had (she didn't know her father).

It's pretty interesting.

Interesting. I might have a look into that.

I suspect I would come back mostly British. To my knowledge there isn't even an Irish element in my family background. Although I know next to nothing about my mom's family so that could throw up some interesting stuff.

About the only odd thing I can think genetically about my family is there is an weird mix of people either being obscenely pale, or quite tanned. One of my dad's aunts looked like she was Italian or something, very olive skinned (to the point she didn't even look much like her sisters, who looked very alike), my dad often was quite tanned looking (until he was ill), whereas others are very pale. I'm so pale I look unwell, my nan was pale etc etc. Which probably would mean theres a mix in there somewhere I guess.

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

Do comment sections attract the worst of humanity, or are more people words removed than I ever dared think?

Daily Mail or Youtube?

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think Ruge had visions of you hanging out with the Dead and the Airplane on Haight. 

When I referred to myself as old, I didn't mean Mooney-level old! B)  I spent the summer of love checking out the Norwegian children's music scene in Oslo.

I did see my share of Dead shows over the years, including a couple of New Year's Eve shows in SF in the mid-80's.  But by that time the vibe was quite different from what I imagine it was like during the flower power days.  You still had all the superficial trappings, with barefoot people in tie-dye dropping acid and following the band on tour, selling or bartering hand made products and food in the parking lot at the shows.  But it felt more like a traveling nostalgia festival compared to the Haight days where that was all just a part of a bigger subculture.

I saw some of the grim stuff Ruge mentioned, like a woman at a New Year's Eve after-show party in SF who was seriously wired on coke or meth, and impoverished youngsters with "I need a miracle" signs (ie., free ticket) at shows who were disappointed that they missed out on the 60's and were trying live their own version of it in the 90's by following the tour.  By the end, the Dead were just as corporate as any of the others.  They just happened to be their own corporation rather than having to partner with Coke or Microsoft.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Daily Mail or Youtube?

I don't visit the Heil thankfully, and never look at YouTube comments, but pretty much everywhere else is a parade of words removed and morons and everything in between, and often a mix of both.

8 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

When I referred to myself as old, I didn't mean Mooney-level old! B)  I spent the summer of love checking out the Norwegian children's music scene in Oslo.

I did see my share of Dead shows over the years, including a couple of New Year's Eve shows in SF in the mid-80's.  But by that time the vibe was quite different from what I imagine it was like during the flower power days.  You still had all the superficial trappings, with barefoot people in tie-dye dropping acid and following the band on tour, selling or bartering hand made products and food in the parking lot at the shows.  But it felt more like a traveling nostalgia festival compared to the Haight days where that was all just a part of a bigger subculture.

I saw some of the grim stuff Ruge mentioned, like a woman at a New Year's Eve after-show party in SF who was seriously wired on coke or meth, and impoverished youngsters with "I need a miracle" signs (ie., free ticket) at shows who were disappointed that they missed out on the 60's and were trying live their own version of it in the 90's by following the tour.  By the end, the Dead were just as corporate as any of the others.  They just happened to be their own corporation rather than having to partner with Coke or Microsoft.

I could quite easily spend a night in a bar with you. It would have to be in San Francisco though. Again, you're a jammy sod, for seeing the dead live. You're correct in what you say though about them, and their entourage during that time. I think Garcia was still on heroin, and cocaine during that time period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

I spent the summer of love checking out the Norwegian children's music scene in Oslo.

So Egner and Prøysen, then? While maybe not very rock and roll, they are timeless classics and my son and I are big fans :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

So Egner and Prøysen, then? While maybe not very rock and roll, they are timeless classics and my son and I are big fans :) 

Exactly.  Got a CD of Egner songs when the kids were young, but being non-Norwegian speakers who had not yet gotten curious about their ancestral home, they didn't show much interest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

Do comment sections attract the worst of humanity, or are more people words removed than I ever dared think?

I really don't get the trolls, and how they inflict so much misery on people. What a weird , bloody, bunch , they are. Spouting dog's abuse to complete strangers, foaming at the mouth in the hope of a reaction. It seems to really effect some, which I suppose is the whole point. As for myself, I like to think I'm made of a finer timber, so I certainly wouldn't let my head be effected by the ramblings of some faceless coward.

Â