Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

54 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Why a Villa chant of Holte Enders in the sky's tune is in no way related to Ghost riders in the sky. Almost as if the people chanting it have never heard Ghost riders in the sky. This makes me wonder and pisses me off equally. 

Hilarious when they play Ghost Riders in the Aston Social.  Everyone sings along to it but it turns into a mess when it hits the chorus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Why a Villa chant of Holte Enders in the sky's tune is in no way related to Ghost riders in the sky. Almost as if the people chanting it have never heard Ghost riders in the sky. This makes me wonder and pisses me off equally. 

I think I’ve heard the actual song twice in my entire life. 

On 2/4/2018 at 13:36, Rugeley Villa said:

Our two cats are keeping me awake. All they seem to do at night is fight, and run after each other..

Ours decide to start doing that at about 4:30 AM  every night and we sometimes have to put them out.   We try to avoid doing that because we've lost at least one to a coyote in the past and another failed to come home after a night out.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think I’ve heard the actual song twice in my entire life. 

I think I may have heard 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' before I was even aware of Aston Villa. As a VERY small kid (I'm talking late 1950s here), I was obsessed with all things cowboy-related, and GRitS was a regular play on the radio - this was long before the Johnny Cash version, possibly Gene Autry. 

I was delighted when, many years later, it was adopted as the Holte anthem. But, as others have said, it's become horribly mangled. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think I may have heard 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' before I was even aware of Aston Villa. As a VERY small kid (I'm talking late 1950s here), I was obsessed with all things cowboy-related, and GRitS was a regular play on the radio - this was long before the Johnny Cash version, possibly Gene Autry. 

I was delighted when, many years later, it was adopted as the Holte anthem. But, as others have said, it's become horribly mangled. 

Slower songs just seem to get sped up by football fans, similar to the mess Liverpool fans make of YNWA when not doing it pre match (when the actual song is playing).

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

how do bank card readers work

its like they're online but they're not

This is sadly my area of expertise.

Online. So you dip a card and the chip is read, this communicates with a card provider who in turn communicate with a bank, that info is passed back to the card reader and value of funds released. If you swipe, the magnetic strip does the same. Keyed again, the same but a second level of security is introduced with the signature receipt.

Offline. Cards have floor limits associated and when a retailer is offline and communication can not happen, if the amount is between certain floor and ceiling limits the transaction processes without any issue. If it falls outside of this it will either be declined or go to voice authorisation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Ours decide to start doing that at about 4:30 AM  every night and we sometimes have to put them out.   We try to avoid doing that because we've lost at least one to a coyote in the past and another failed to come home after a night out.

Where do you live? 

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This is sadly my area of expertise.

Online. So you dip a card and the chip is read, this communicates with a card provider who in turn communicate with a bank, that info is passed back to the card reader and value of funds released. If you swipe, the magnetic strip does the same. Keyed again, the same but a second level of security is introduced with the signature receipt.

Offline. Cards have floor limits associated and when a retailer is offline and communication can not happen, if the amount is between certain floor and ceiling limits the transaction processes without any issue. If it falls outside of this it will either be declined or go to voice authorisation.

I think he means the little calculator type devices that you have to use for some online banking rather than the methods you are explaining  ?

best I can tell the card reader  verifies the pin against the chip on the card and then generates an algorithm of the amount being paid & your pin  .. that it matches the code generated on your online account gives the illusion they are communicating when they aren't  as they are both using the same algorithm 

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I think he means the little calculator type devices that you have to use for some online banking rather than the methods you are explaining  ?

best I can tell the card reader  verifies the pin against the chip on the card and then generates an algorithm of the amount being paid & your pin  .. that it matches the code generated on your online account gives the illusion they are communicating when they aren't  as they are both using the same algorithm 

Ah, I see, wasn't aware of them.

I wish I was in a position to tell you.   I'm just an old family man living in the suburbs 40+ miles away.  Last time i saw live music in SF was nearly 15 years ago, and it wasn't anything local but a British group!   Not that I was keeping up with the local scene before that anyway.   I've been living mostly in the past for a while now when it comes to music.

Damn page break!   I would have quoted had I known.

Edited by il_serpente

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I wish I was in a position to tell you.   I'm just an old family man living in the suburbs 40+ miles away.  Last time i saw live music in SF was nearly 15 years ago, and it wasn't anything local but a British group!   Not that I was keeping up with the local scene before that anyway.   I've been living mostly in the past for a while now when it comes to music.

Living in the past is the place to be. 

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I think Ruge had visions of you hanging out with the Dead and the Airplane on Haight. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think Ruge had visions of you hanging out with the Dead and the Airplane on Haight. 

I certainly did. It's never like it's painted to be though. I watched a documentary on it, and although it was great to start with, it went downhill very quickly. Drugs, infection, and sexual diseases took over, and it went pretty grim, with loads of people strung out, and in a bad way. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

With the news today about Cheddar Man being dark skinned and blue eyed, I'vee always had an interest in what my DNA would say about me, where my ancestors came from etc etc. As far as I know my family is as dull as ditchwater British as it comes (even my surname seems to have only managed to move about 40 odd miles in hundreds of years) but I'd love to see what else was in there. You sometimes see those celebrities take a test to see where they came from and get whacky stuff like finding their DNA is part Native American. I'd love to try that. 

Ancestry can be fascinating I think.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

With the news today about Cheddar Man being dark skinned and blue eyed, I'vee always had an interest in what my DNA would say about me, where my ancestors came from etc etc. As far as I know my family is as dull as ditchwater British as it comes (even my surname seems to have only managed to move about 40 odd miles in hundreds of years) but I'd love to see what else was in there. You sometimes see those celebrities take a test to see where they came from and get whacky stuff like finding their DNA is part Native American. I'd love to try that. 

Ancestry can be fascinating I think.

I've done it fairly recently using AncestryDNA.com (I don't THINK I'm a celebrity, but they let me off ;) )

I had pretty boring results. Mostly Irish and British, which I knew about anyway. Then some very small percentage of random places like Micronesia. 

Then it matches you up with people who are related to you and have also done the DNA test. So I had loads and loads of 3rd and 4th cousins showing up. And my mom, which would have been amazing if it wasn't for the fact that I know my mom and bought the test for her :D

I think if you know little about your background then it would be really interesting. Girl from work did it with her mom and found out they had Irish heritage (they had no idea) and her mom ended up finding close family members she never knew she had (she didn't know her father).

It's pretty interesting.

Â