Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Spirit(us band, not spirits of dead people because they don't exist apparantly) are trying to stop zep releasing the remastered four symbols album. They claim zep should credit their late guitarist randy california for the song stairway to heaven. Spirit claim stairway was nicked from their 1968 song tauras, stairway came out in 71. I have both albums and you can see where they are coming from to a degree. Its another case against the supposedly greatest band ever(i agree sometimes). So I wonder if it really was stolen in anyway, either way it don't take away the fact its a great song.

all music is theft  I reckon

just about every song I hear on the radio I think ..they stole that bass line ,or borrowed that guitar lick

Cigarettes and alcohol = Bang a Gong

Beautiful day = sun always shines on TV

Do you think I'm sexy = taj Mahal

various obscure music = bucket loads of Beatles song = bucket loads of Oasis songs  .. i.e lonesome tear  and  ballard of John & Yoko

even music greats like Big Country somehow managed to borrow  from INXS  - Bella v Baby Don't Cry

thing is, how many notes are there? about 8? 10 tops.

there's only so many different orders you can put them in

The Beatles were probably the last totally original music

Chuck Berry sued The Beatles over 'Come Together' being ripped off from 'You Can't Catch Me'.

must admit of all the plagiarism that goes on those 2 aren't the most obvious .. other then the "Flat top " line  ... at least Lennon did some work on it rather than juts copy it straight out like Jimmy Page appears to have done  with Stairway  (just listened to both songs , think some of the rumoured £300m Stairway to heaven has made is going to a new home very  soon )

Edited by tonyh29

As much as I love zeppelin they really have ripped a lot of songs off, listen to never by moby grape, then listen to since I've been loving you by zeppelin. Did not realise until the other week but deep purple have done the same. As tonyh29 said a lot of music is ripped off, I suppose its hard not to have a song that don't sound like blah blah. The first 4 zep albums are full of rip offs.

Black sabbath's self titled song, the riff of that was taken off gustav holst's the planets mars. Paranoid was communication breakdown, nib was sunshine of your love. The bridge in children of the grave was influenced from another classical song.

Did The Jam get permission to record 'Start'?

don't know if they had 'permission' as such, but they certainly never pretended it was anything but a straight lift as an homage

Black sabbath's self titled song, the riff of that was taken off gustav holst's the planets mars.

Think Diamond Head win the award for "most amount of Holst's 'Mars' in one song"...

Bands that started off in the 60s like The stones, The who and zep later in the decade, they grew up listening to the blues, RnB. Their live shows would consist of a lot of covers in the early days. Then you find your own sound and style, then bands that come after them are influenced by them.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Black sabbath's self titled song, the riff of that was taken off gustav holst's the planets mars.

Think Diamond Head win the award for "most amount of Holst's 'Mars' in one song"...

metallica done a cover of that song on their debut album, I'm not into diamond head but I saw an interview once where they said they swiped the riff off sabbaths symptom of the universe for one of their songs. Obviously with metal bands its pretty easy for songs to sound the same.

Deep Purple's "Black Night"? Have a listen to The Blues Magoos' "(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet". 

The Eagles' "Hotel California"? Check out Jethro Tull's "We Used to Know". 

Merry Xmas  - War is over  - is part  I love how you love me

What ever Lennon borrowed , you have to say he borrowed it well

I think it's more a subconscious thing rather than a blatant attempt to steal as much as anything  ..McCartney always said he woke up with the tune of "yesterday"  in his head and was convinced it was already someone else song

I saw a documentary once  where they compared some music of Beethoven (I think) to the tunes of various  birds ... there were a remarkable amount of similarities between the various pieces ... to some extent the talent is still in interpreting  it and making it your own 

If you get into classical the list of take offs goes on and on.

But then again the composers of that time did the same.

'La Folia' has proper done the rounds, so has 'Air On A G String'.

Deep Purple's "Black Night"? Have a listen to The Blues Magoos' "(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet".

The Eagles' "Hotel California"? Check out Jethro Tull's "We Used to Know".

I saw this thing on youtube about purple ripping off songs. black night was on there, its a complete rip off from the blue magoos.

Â