Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Merry Xmas  - War is over  - is part  I love how you love me

What ever Lennon borrowed , you have to say he borrowed it well

I think it's more a subconscious thing rather than a blatant attempt to steal as much as anything  ..McCartney always said he woke up with the tune of "yesterday"  in his head and was convinced it was already someone else song

George Harrison was successfully sued over "My Sweet Lord" being the same as "He's So Fine". He admitted that it was, but insisted that it was unconsciously done - and I believe him. 

Coversely, Nick Lowe admitted that he constantly and deliberately ripped off other peoples' stuff, but said that the skill lay in cleverly disguising the fact with different combinations and musical arrangements.

Stand By Me? ;)

He never claimed to have written that.

'Borrowed' it though, in the form of possibly the worst cover of anything, of all time.

Stand By Me? ;)

funny enough that was part of the settlement  from stealing the Chuck Berry song you mentioned earlier  .. think he agreed to release 2 albums on that record label as part of his settlement  ...so one of them he knocked out a covers album

Stand By Me? ;)

'Borrowed' it though, in the form of possibly the worst cover of anything, of all time.

cough 

Stand By Me? ;)

cough 

Hmm... they were more of a novelty act though, you could expect better from John Lennon.

Stand By Me? ;)

Matter of opinion. I quite like it. Certainly my favourite track on the Rock'n'Roll album.

Look, it's not as good as the original, obviously. And the Spector production is undeniably plodding. But Lennon's voice is perfectly suited to that song. And the slide guitar (Harrison?) is a nice touch. I like it, so sod the lot of you.

• Like 1

Look, it's not as good as the original, obviously. And the Spector production is undeniably plodding. But Lennon's voice is perfectly suited to that song. And the slide guitar (Harrison?) is a nice touch. I like it, so sod the lot of you.

not on that Rock n roll session the released recording came from , therer is a version from the let it Be sessions with George on it though , probably in Bootleg version so it may depend which version you hear  ... there is also a bootleg recording of it somewhere with Lennon, McCartney , Stevie Wonder, Jesse Ed Davis, Bobby Keys and Harry Nilsson.

I agree with you though , I think it's a great cover , its got that raw Lennon power to it

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I listened to sgt peppers lonely hearts club band the other day, for the first time in ages. Now I'm not a huge beatles fan although I do like them and have some albums, but what an album. I don't even think its slightly overrated, such a fun album to listen to. Must admit I've never gave their solo stuff a listen really, obviously I've heard the well known ones. I don't mind lennons version of stand by me, although obviously the original can't be matched.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Stand By Me? ;)

Whereas this is one of the best.  Haunting.

NSFW

Edited by NurembergVillan
  • Like 1

I listened to sgt peppers lonely hearts club band the other day, for the first time in ages. Now I'm not a huge beatles fan although I do like them and have some albums, but what an album. I don't even think its slightly overrated, such a fun album to listen to. Must admit I've never gave their solo stuff a listen really, obviously I've heard the well known ones. I don't mind lennons version of stand by me, although obviously the original can't be matched.

Their best songs were:" I should have known better" and "It wont be long"

As far as "stand by me " type of song goes, you cant beat "Twylight time" by the Platters. 

not on that Rock n roll session the released recording came from , therer is a version from the let it Be sessions with George on it though , probably in Bootleg version so it may depend which version you hear  ... there is also a bootleg recording of it somewhere with Lennon, McCartney , Stevie Wonder, Jesse Ed Davis, Bobby Keys and Harry Nilsson.

I agree with you though , I think it's a great cover , its got that raw Lennon power to it

Have you heard the bootlegged "Imagine" (album) outtakes? Some good stuff there, especially the alt. versions of "How Do You Sleep". 

Â