Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

different languages would be used for different words, creole as Mooney says

I'm fairly confident that the Welsh contingent would get their word for microwave adopted by all the others: popty ping

schnell schnell stick the pizza a la popty ping, klootzak

You would need to list all 100 languages before I could answer that.

English

Mandarin

Spanish

German

French

Portuguese

Japanese

Swahili

Hungarian

Swedish

Finnish

and 89 others

English because it's likely that some of the couples that don't natively speak it would at least understand it somewhat.

Lots of countries teach English in school.

Edited by Rovers13

Assuming nobody spoke a second language, English might have the edge when it comes to writing.

Anyone ever noticed how when a passage of text is translated into several languages, the English version tends to be the shortest by far? - it's a very precise language. But maybe that makes it harder to learn.

Assuming nobody spoke a second language, English might have the edge when it comes to writing.

Anyone ever noticed how when a passage of text is translated into several languages, the English version tends to be the shortest by far? - it's a very precise language. But maybe that makes it harder to learn.

It's not as precise as some surely, that's why it's shorter.

Yeah should have made no second languages a criteria in my original post...

Im sure I read a theory somewhere that Latin would be the best universal language ... Any doctor for example would probably be familiar with the Latin terms for the human body and same goes for plants and animals

I took Latin for years... I'm in great shape for this alpha centauri trip!

(Slight problem, no one knows anything besides the medical terms)

My theory, if you have no second languages, is that a Romance language would win out. It's relatively easy for speakers of one to learn another.

The strongest personality idea isn't bad though. That makes a lot of sense.

It's not as precise as some surely, that's why it's shorter.

Seeing as we're calling each other Shirley, Shirley the more precise language says the thing you want to say without having to explain itself with extra words, don't you think Shirley? :)

The other thing is that you'd think a lot would depend on the personalities of the individual deep space travelers.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

Shut it Sheila

Careful, if you're going to assume I'm an Aussie I might have to bore you with my life story. It will not end well.

Edit: To save this page from now turning into guess-CrackpotForeigner's-life-story, I'm from the wonderful city of Cape Town, but mrs CrackpotForeigner is from the almost-as-wonderful city of Sydney. It turns out that mrs's get the final say in where you live. So the moral of the story is, if you like where you're from, make sure you hook up with somebody from somewhere at least as nice as Sydney (and btw if it IS Sydney, make sure it's not out west, because that can be a bit grim).

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 2

Shut it Sheila

Careful, if you're going to assume I'm an Aussie I might have to bore you with my life story. It will not end well.

So are you a whinging pom?

Why do the thoughts in my head sound like my voice. Even if I try and do an English accent, it'll sound like me doing an English accent, or if I try to make them sound like Morgan Freeman it'll be a piss poor me impression.

• Like 1

Â