Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Why do the thoughts in my head sound like my voice. Even if I try and do an English accent, it'll sound like me doing an English accent, or if I try to make them sound like Morgan Freeman it'll be a piss poor me impression.

It's the same with music for me. I can only focus on one instrument at a time, and it sounds like me going "diddly diddly dee" (shredding guitar solo).

Edited by stwefano

I don't actually hear a voice in my head when I think. Is that weird? It just sorta... happens really. It's not like I hear anything specific. I can't really explain what I'm trying to describe very well and it's annoying me.

I know one thing - the voice in my head isn't the voice that I hear when I've been recorded. 

Is there ANYBODY who likes the sound of the recorded version of their own voice?

EDIT: This is exactly analogous to the recent discussion on how you think you look all right in the mirror, but if you see yourself video'd - ugh. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I was referring to my 'thinking' voice, but regarding the voice I hear when I speak, I'm the same as you. I sound like I'm all treble and no bass when I hear a recording of myself.

Crossing over a bit with the musicians' thread, being able to listen to your recorded voice is a major obstacle that all singers have to overcome. 

Ah the recorded voice, makes no sense at all.

It kind of does actually. Unfortunately, your recorded voice is how you sound to everyone else. The voice you hear is a combination of what you sound like and vibrations in your skull made when you speak.

I used to hate my recorded voice, but now I don't mind it as much.

I think Vines and watching my wedding speech made me feel better about it.

Although I still think I sound high pitched to myself, when you compare it to other people talking and actually listen, it's not so bad.

I make a point of not talking if I see a video camera pointing at me or if I'm  recording the children doing something  ... we've got hundreds of videos of the kids and not a squeak from me on them , even to the point where I won't shout out "STOP" as the kid starts cycling off onto the dual carriageway .. the camera suddenly goes like Cloverfield as I chase after them to catch them  :)

I think I am on various wedding video's saying  oh Piss off or **** off  as a camera has been intentionally pointed in my direction ..

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â