Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

You should see it tonight in Liverpool, it'll be absolute carnage

Isn't that every Friday night?! 

Another why-are-English-people-this way? one.

I don't get the English obsession with not being "patronising" nor the apparent extra sensitivity about being patronised. I'm always hearing this focus on English telly, in UK news media, etc. Is this all about thin English skin? Or are other countries really annoying? Am I annoying -- don't answer that! 😬🤣.  Is being patronising such an awful assault on the delicate flower that is the 21st century English middle-class bloke? Or maybe we're all just way too advicey and presumptuous outside the UK? Not even sure I really understand what it means to be patronising anymore since England has messed up this handy form of one-up-manship for me. Wait, are you about to patronise me below? Hmmmmm. I wonder and wonder.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Do you think the best times we have had growing up are with our male friends or female friends/girlfriends. Was chatting the other day to a pal I went to Ibiza with when I was a lad, talking old times. Couldn't stop thinking what a great holiday it was with 8 other lads, but then it entered my mind I went to Cancun with my then girlfriend a couple of months after, an enjoyed the holiday and the company much more. Even going to concerts, clubs I have had better nights with girls/women.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Do you think the best times we have had growing up are with our male friends or female friends/girlfriends. Was chatting the other day to a pal I went to Ibiza with when I was a lad, talking old times. Couldn't stop thinking what a great holiday it was with 8 other lads, but then it entered my mind I went to Cancun with my then girlfriend a couple of months after, an enjoyed the holiday and the company much more. Even going to concerts, clubs I have had better nights with girls/women.

Why are you saying we? You are simply talking about your experiences.

10 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Why are Russia and China in the United nations ?

Surely they will always disagree with the west and veto important dicisions.

Because the UN isn't just a club for the west. 

On 22/03/2023 at 21:06, Marka Ragnos said:

Another why-are-English-people-this way? one.

I don't get the English obsession with not being "patronising" nor the apparent extra sensitivity about being patronised. I'm always hearing this focus on English telly, in UK news media, etc. Is this all about thin English skin? Or are other countries really annoying? Am I annoying -- don't answer that! 😬🤣.  Is being patronising such an awful assault on the delicate flower that is the 21st century English middle-class bloke? Or maybe we're all just way too advicey and presumptuous outside the UK? Not even sure I really understand what it means to be patronising anymore since England has messed up this handy form of one-up-manship for me. Wait, are you about to patronise me below? Hmmmmm. I wonder and wonder.  

Quick brainfart: Maybe we in the UK have a bit of ego invested in 'understanding people and situations due to our history of empires and being all great and all that', so when we don't get it quite right we feel like some kind of failure? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Anthony said:

Quick brainfart: Maybe we in the UK have a bit of ego invested in 'understanding people and situations due to our history of empires and being all great and all that', so when we don't get it quite right we feel like some kind of failure? 

That seems perceptive and perhaps correct, but my unreconstructed Anglophilia (I sometimes define England itself, I’m embarrassed to admit, as simply a higher state of consciousness) tells me there’s more to it. 

Â