Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

So,what do jet pilots breathe then ?

The co-pilots farts.

Spoiler

https://www.calendar-canada.ca/faq/why-do-fighter-pilots-breathe-pure-oxygen

"at altitude, pressure breathing of 100% oxygen at high airway pres- sures enables the pilot's alveolar PO2 to be maintained at a safe level."

"The oxygen system onboard a fighter aircraft delivers a mixture of oxygen and air depending on the altitude the pilot is flying at. At higher altitudes, more oxygen must be added to the air to compensate for lower air pressure. At high enough altitudes, a 100% mixture of oxygen is supplied."

"Breathing 100 percent oxygen at normal pressure can cause acute oxygen poisoning, which can lead to all sorts of symptoms, including: Fluid in the lungs, hyperventilation or labored breathing. Chest pains, mild burning on inhalation and uncontrollable coughing (sometimes with blood)"

• Haha 1

On 05/03/2023 at 12:47, PussEKatt said:

So,what do jet pilots breathe then ?

Modern aircraft have a system called a Molecular sieve oxygen concentrator (or generator), which replaced older style liquid oxygen (lox) tanks. An msoc provides a mix of oxygen and argon for the pilot to breathe. The concentration of oxygen increases with altitude up to about 95%.  The older lox bottle fed systems mixed oxygen from the bottle with atmospheric gases, again increasing the amount of oxygen as altitude increased.

Lox tanks and the filling and refilling of them from cylinders of oxygen scared the bejesus out of me. I only ever acted as a safety bod when it was going on, but the rigger doing the actual job had to garb up in a hat/mask thing, thick leather gloves, thick leather kind of apron thing and so on. All the pipes got covered in ice and the stuff is basically extremely dangerous, being super cold and potentially super explosive if there is any grease contamination during the filling of the aircraft tank from the lox cylinders. And they were all stored well away from anything else in a special compound.

edit. Here’s an internet pic

4EA7D980-20EC-4641-8E35-6F1A7092EC90.jpeg

• Shocked 1

Is there a current way to see the date you started your hotmail account. All the search results online seem to be for formats and options in hotmail that no longer exist.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Is there a current way to see the date you started your hotmail account. All the search results online seem to be for formats and options in hotmail that no longer exist.

They removed it from view sometime back as it was being used by unscrupulous people for email recovery uses , but word is  you can email Microsoft support and they will tell you 

• Like 1

Probably a dumb question, and perhaps not worthy of polling status in Other Football, but it keeps gnawing at me: Would most VTers begrudgingly prefer seeing Birmingham City back in the Premier League (so they could enjoy the rivalry) ... or do VTers just want the club wiped from the face of the earth? People seem to revel in the Bluenose loathing. Don't you want it up close then in our league? But then why do you want the thing you hate back in your faces? I don't get it. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

40 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Probably a dumb question, and perhaps not worthy of polling status in Other Football, but it keeps gnawing at me: Would most VTers begrudgingly prefer seeing Birmingham City back in the Premier League (so they could enjoy the rivalry) ... or do VTers just want the club wiped from the face of the earth? People seem to revel in the Bluenose loathing. Don't you want it up close then in our league? But then why do you want the thing you hate back in your faces? I don't get it. 

I never want to play them again. That is all, don't care how that happens. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Never want to play them again. There is no positive to playing them. We lose and its hell, we win and its expected. Zero upside. 

I'd happily see them go to the wall. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I find the cave paintings of our neolithic ancestors fascnating but I wouldn't want to live next door to them

Suddenly, from 4,500 miles away, it has all been revealed ... 

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

Ok, perhaps I don’t often wonder this, but there’s currently an eBay auction for an empty cardboard box. It’s a nice cardboard box, but it is an old, slightly worn, empty cardboard box. It’s currently up to £24.

I was wondering how they were going to pack it for shipping.

• Haha 1

On 07/03/2023 at 09:35, blandy said:

Modern aircraft have a system called a Molecular sieve oxygen concentrator (or generator), which replaced older style liquid oxygen (lox) tanks. An msoc provides a mix of oxygen and argon for the pilot to breathe. The concentration of oxygen increases with altitude up to about 95%.  The older lox bottle fed systems mixed oxygen from the bottle with atmospheric gases, again increasing the amount of oxygen as altitude increased.

Lox tanks and the filling and refilling of them from cylinders of oxygen scared the bejesus out of me. I only ever acted as a safety bod when it was going on, but the rigger doing the actual job had to garb up in a hat/mask thing, thick leather gloves, thick leather kind of apron thing and so on. All the pipes got covered in ice and the stuff is basically extremely dangerous, being super cold and potentially super explosive if there is any grease contamination during the filling of the aircraft tank from the lox cylinders. And they were all stored well away from anything else in a special compound.

edit. Here’s an internet pic

4EA7D980-20EC-4641-8E35-6F1A7092EC90.jpeg

Now I'm just wondering, who is this @blandy fellow, and how does he know about that 95% thing?

Â