Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Why is there so much traffic on the road... ALL. DAY. LONG? 

It's not so long ago, that there was an obvious increased volume during the morning and evening commuter periods - and a bit of a mid-afternoon peak for the school run, but - say - mid-morning, even the main roads would be relatively quiet, with most people at work. WFH should cause a reduction. And I know that people shift their hours a lot, but the road I live on is solid, regardless of time. I can be waiting several minutes to get off the drive, even mid-morning. Where are they all going

It's not 'they' though is it? You are also the traffic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

It's not 'they' though is it? You are also the traffic.

Yes, that did occur to me. And @bickster's 'ageing population' theory would support that. I still find it hard to believe that the A65 is jammed with hundreds of pensioners simultaneously nipping out for a bottle of milk. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

FTFY

Not guilty, m'lud. 

And I'd be happy if more of them did, as it might give me a better chance of getting out of my drive and into the endless stream. 

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

It would be @Xela obviously but I think due to age and IBS I could give him a good…..run for his money. 

Quantity not quality for me mate :( 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Why is there so much traffic on the road... ALL. DAY. LONG? 

It's not so long ago, that there was an obvious increased volume during the morning and evening commuter periods - and a bit of a mid-afternoon peak for the school run, but - say - mid-morning, even the main roads would be relatively quiet, with most people at work. WFH should cause a reduction. And I know that people shift their hours a lot, but the road I live on is solid, regardless of time. I can be waiting several minutes to get off the drive, even mid-morning. Where are they all going? 

I nipped out about 2pm today, just wanted to get some petrol. Yep, like rush hour around Sutton! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Why is American-style "sincerity"/sincerity/sincerity (choose your level of intensity) so uncomfortable and weird for some British people?

Dunno, but you're right, it does. I suspect it offends our preferred style of insouciant, understated cynicism. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

holes in the socks is a new one :D 

Most people get holes in their socks. Typically 1% hole to 99% sock. If untreated, this ratio can increase to as much as 10% hole to 90% sock. You have simply taken this to its ultimate conclusion, the Sock Event Horizon, with 100% hole, 0% sock. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Most people get holes in their socks. Typically 1% hole to 99% sock. If untreated, this ratio can increase to as much as 10% hole to 90% sock. You have simply taken this to its ultimate conclusion, the Sock Event Horizon, with 100% hole, 0% sock. 

Funny you mention event horizon.  The ratio of hole to sock increases, yet the amount of material in the sock remains the same. Only the hole gets bigger. So the sock gets denser, and if you bring it to 100% hole and 0% sock you get infinite density and something beyond a black hole. This is currently only theoretical of course, as it's asymptotic, and I believe Einstein was working on it when he passed away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, BOF said:

Funny you mention event horizon.  The ratio of hole to sock increases, yet the amount of material in the sock remains the same. Only the hole gets bigger. So the sock gets denser, and if you bring it to 100% hole and 0% sock you get infinite density and something beyond a black hole. This is currently only theoretical of course, as it's asymptotic, and I believe Einstein was working on it when he passed away.

There remains a massive gap in mankind's understanding of this. They are looking for an explanation that they believe will contain some still undiscovered and undetected matter. Scientists have dubbed this The Stocking Filler. 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

There remains a massive gap in mankind's understanding of this. They are looking for an explanation that they believe will contain some still undiscovered and undetected matter. Scientists have dubbed this The Stocking Filler. 

String theory?  Thread theory?

• Like 1

Â