Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok here’s one. Don’t worry about trivial things you have no control over. That’s common sense right? But who lives that way? So is it common ?

When I think of common sense, I tend to think of more practical things. For instance not cleaning your car when you know it’s about to rain, or something fairly mundane like that.

Not worrying about the trivial things you have no control over, yes that is the correct thing to do and most would agree with it. But I feel like that people are generally irrational and are prone to worry when it’s not necessary to do so. Whether Villa win next weekend or finish in the top ten this season is in the grand scheme of things quite trivial, it will have pretty much zero impact on my life. But I probably spend more time thinking about it than the subject deserves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

When I think of common sense, I tend to think of more practical things. For instance not cleaning your car when you know it’s about to rain, or something fairly mundane like that.

Not worrying about the trivial things you have no control over, yes that is the correct thing to do and most would agree with it. But I feel like that people are generally irrational and are prone to worry when it’s not necessary to do so. Whether Villa win next weekend or finish in the top ten this season is in the grand scheme of things quite trivial, it will have pretty much zero impact on my life. But I probably spend more time thinking about it than the subject deserves.

Fair points. Maybe the term ‘it’s common sense’ is getting used so much these days it makes me wouldn’t if it is common sense after all? If it was would people keep asking that same question ?

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why do people have a break from drinking instead of just not drinking and have a break now and then from not drinking to have a drink?

waitwhat-im-confused.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Common sense is not worrying about a how a goldfish is gonna be treated by some random guy on a forum, when there are more important, maybe closer to home things to worry about. 😂

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why do people have a break from drinking instead of just not drinking and have a break now and then from not drinking to have a drink?

We'll be hearing about dry January soon enough. 

The trend for people trying to get sponsored not to drink seems to have died out though, thankfully. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s mostly where I’m at.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because they like drinking more than not drinking

• Like 1

Why are British dramas by and large really depressing? People with just miserable lives, having terrible luck, making bad choices in shitty situations.

Then crime dramas are always absolutely horrific! Even the hero is always completely flawed and lives is squalor i.e. Luther I'm not saying everything should be Disney+ but I watched some of "Happy Valley" the other day and good lord those folks are miserable.

• Like 2

We can see millions of stars from Earth. One appears relatively massive.   The others are tiny dots of light. Why aren’t there any stars that appear somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes?  

Is it just coincidence or are all stars similarly distant from one another? 

6 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Because they need to save some money, or give the body a break if they've gone overboard or various other reasons.

Very true. I guess my point is maybe people can  make not drinking the norm and having a drink is an occasional indulgence. Rather than somebody that doesn’t drink almost considered a strange person.  

Right I’ll stop chatting shit now. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Very true. I guess my point is maybe people can  make not drinking the norm and having a drink is an occasional indulgence. Rather than somebody that doesn’t drink almost considered a strange person.  

Right I’ll stop chatting shit now. 

Well that's just something different entirely!

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Why are British dramas by and large really depressing? People with just miserable lives, having terrible luck, making bad choices in shitty situations.

Then crime dramas are always absolutely horrific! Even the hero is always completely flawed and lives is squalor i.e. Luther I'm not saying everything should be Disney+ but I watched some of "Happy Valley" the other day and good lord those folks are miserable.

I think dramas are depressing in general to make people feel better about their own shit lives. Just for that 30 minutes a day. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

We can see millions of stars from Earth. One appears relatively massive.   The others are tiny dots of light. Why aren’t there any stars that appear somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes?  

Is it just coincidence or are all stars similarly distant from one another? 

The 'relatively massive' light you perceive as a star is probably the sun's light reflecting off a planet. For example, Jupiter has been visibly bright in the recent night sky. 

As you noted, the actual stars typically visible by the naked eye are fairly dim and can. appear very similar. In reality, some stars will be bigger (and brighter) but being much further away, appear similar to smaller stars that are closer.

Don't forget, in thinking there's nothing in between, you're comparing a planet (much, much closer than stars reflecting a much closer star, the sun) with the thousands of stars you can barely see. You're ignoring the trillions of stars that, in theory, should be visible from earth, but the combination of their size and distance means their light isn't enough to be registered by the limitations of the naked eye by the time it has passed through earth's atmosphere with its air and light pollution.

Â