Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 14/11/2022 at 20:22, PussEKatt said:

I dont know how much it cost to make a fridge in the USA.What I meant was the price of anything is cheaper in Asian countries than western countries,so if you buy a fridge in Oz for $1000 and you can buy the same fridge in Bangcock for $300,then are you bieng ripped off ?

In addition to what others have said, the "cost" of a fridge is also made up of non-recurring and recurring costs.

The non-recurring costs are the one of costs to the Company - so the design costs, the prototyping, the new tooling, the new Logo and advertising budget, head office wages etc. - they pay those same costs, whether they Make a million fridges, or 7 fridges.

The recurring costs are the raw materials and labour and power.

Western companies obviously outsource a lot of the manufacturing (recurring) costs to cheap Eastern Labour. They will generally recover the overall cost base at different ratios - in the West "we" can afford to pay more and cover the non-recurring costs for the Company. In the poorer nations, if those non-recurring costs are not part of the recovery equation, then the fridge can sell for way less. Plus the sales and transport costs will be lower there, too.

There's a stereotype that Irish families have a lot of grudges and fight a lot, and I'm thinking that's mostly a pernicious holdover from the English and patrician Americans as a way to dehumanise Irish peoples and immigrants, but then I look at the Irish side of the family and my in-laws, and jeez, there has been a lot of brawling and grudges, and I wonder ... is it a real thing?    

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

There's a stereotype that Irish families have a lot of grudges and fight a lot, and I'm thinking that's mostly a pernicious holdover from the English and patrician Americans as a way to dehumanise Irish peoples and immigrants, but then I look at the Irish side of the family and my in-laws, and jeez, there has been a lot of brawling and grudges, and I wonder ... is it a real thing?    

You're going on the list!

But when you say Irish, you mean American right?

Edited by Mr_Dogg
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think the question is do we do it any more than any other nation. That, I don't know. I have family on one side who love a grudge and I have family who get along. But I don't think that's particularly strange to have both types. The phrase 'you can choose your friends, you can't choose your family' isn't even a particularly Irish saying AFAIK, and it's usually used to imply familial strife suggesting it's fairly widespread and common.

But we're lacking the hard data and it's not the kind of thing people will own up to in a straw poll :lol:

• Thanks 1

The Fighting Irish nickname was first coined for the Irish immigrant soldiers who fought for the Union during the Civil War in what became called the Irish Brigade, including three regiments from New York. Their valor was later memorialized in the poetry of Joyce Kilmer. That’s also the Irish way: Ireland’s poetry is often better than its fighting, turning defeat into eternal glory.

Notre Dame University

• Thanks 1

Grudge bearing isn't a particularly Irish thing, it's a some humans thing.

To my knowledge I've no Irish ancestry (well, I probably do, but that's more of a Charlemagne's ancestors thing) but my family bears grudges to an extreme degree. My dad cut off family members over very small things - he lent a cousin a fairly small amount of money which he never got back, that person's name was never uttered again and they may as well have never existed, he cut off an entire family when the father didn't repay a favour. I've been marginally slighted by people and can honestly say as a result I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire now.

I think it just comes down to how much of a bastard you are. Which isn't nationality focused. Mostly.

• Like 1

I've never thought of grudge bearing as a particularly Irish stereotype. My English mother was a terrible grudge holder, my Irish father not in the slightest. OK, I can see at in N.I. at a community level (FFS, get over Oliver Cromwell and the Battle of the Boyne already), but I thought family level blood feuds were more of an Italian/Sicilian/mafia thing. 

The Irish cliché among the Engish (and, I suppose, Americans) is hard drinking and a short temper, brawling and fisticuffs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've never thought of grudge bearing as a particularly Irish stereotype. My English mother was a terrible grudge holder, my Irish father not in the slightest. OK, I can see at in N.I. at a community level (FFS, get over Oliver Cromwell and the Battle of the Boyne already), but I thought family level blood feuds were more of an Italian/Sicilian/mafia thing. 

The Irish cliché among the Engish (and, I suppose, Americans) is hard drinking and a short temper, brawling and fisticuffs. 

When my folks came over from Ireland in the late 50s they received plenty of resistance when looking for lodgings, mainly due the "fact" that the Irish are always fighting  - themselves and others. Many a landlord took that stance, so my folks never stood a chance. Many hardworking immigrants suffered the same stereotype affliction. My parents just wanted to work, send money back home and support each other. Sure there were one or two wronguns but not as many as portrayed.

The "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish" attitude certainly was in considerable effect at that time. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

You're going on the list!

But when you say Irish, you mean American right?

I guess I do, although I had an Irish roommate in London and lots of Irish friends and the only thing I noticed about them that seemed different about them from the English is that they liked to talk and talk and talk and talk ... for hours ... whereas the English seemed more phlegmatic and reserved.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I think the question is do we do it any more than any other nation. That, I don't know. I have family on one side who love a grudge and I have family who get along. But I don't think that's particularly strange to have both types. The phrase 'you can choose your friends, you can't choose your family' isn't even a particularly Irish saying AFAIK, and it's usually used to imply familial strife suggesting it's fairly widespread and common.

But we're lacking the hard data and it's not the kind of thing people will own up to in a straw poll :lol:

Love this, thanks.

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

the only thing I noticed about them that seemed different about them from the English is that they liked to talk and talk and talk and talk ... for hours ... whereas the English seemed more phlegmatic and reserved.

Once again, I'm going to reference my parents. My mother (Brummie) could talk the hind leg off a donkey. My dad (Dubliner) was quiet and shy - unless he'd had a couple of pints, when he did become slightly more chatty, but only with friends or family. 

Me, I'm a right gobshite. :) 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Once again, I'm going to reference my parents. My mother (Brummie) could talk the hind leg off a donkey. My dad (Dubliner) was quiet and shy - unless he'd had a couple of pints, when he did become slightly more chatty, but only with friends or family. 

Me, I'm a right gobshite. :) 

It's almost like ethnic stereotypes are kind of stupid.   

• Thanks 1

Â