Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Once again, I'm going to reference my parents. My mother (Brummie) could talk the hind leg off a donkey. My dad (Dubliner) was quiet and shy - unless he'd had a couple of pints, when he did become slightly more chatty, but only with friends or family. 

Me, I'm a right gobshite. :) 

Similar for me all be it my parents were born in St Neots (mum) and Coventry (Dad)   

tbh I’ll  talk to anyone , the other week in Guildford we were late cause I was having  a conversation with the man emptying the bins for about 15 mins , he was clearly looking for someone to talk to and whilst everyone else looked at their phones and pretended to be busy,  I engaged …turned out he lived with his mum and she was unwell and in hospital and he just wanted to talk about it with someone …  as we walked off my daughter kinda rolled her eyes and said Dad is there anyone on the planet you don’t have long conversations  with  , but then gave me a kiss and told me I was a kind person :)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bickster said:

nah they all drink Guiness ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think my parents must have swapped brains. She liked Guinness, he didn't (I do, btw). 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I don't care what nationality you are. Guinness is bloomin awful. 

I always roll my eyes at people that go to Dublin and go visit the Guiness factory like it's some kind of Wonder of the World .. if they then follow up saying they enjoyed the "craic" i walk away muttering under my breath before I go full Lian Neeson on them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure I've said this before but when I went to the Guinness factory (which is a very good museum tbf) I got to the top where you can pour your own Guinness or the next floor where you can be served a Guinness and look around the city

I got to the bar and ordered my mine, a straight off love island couple strolled up next to me and started milling around... "have you got any fosters?"

I was trying my hardest not to be judgemental but failed miserably

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

It's awful loud in here, I can't really here you. Come outside and say that again?

Yeah, I must be a little hard of hearing as well. I’ll join ya! 

On 17/11/2022 at 17:09, villa4europe said:

I'm sure I've said this before but when I went to the Guinness factory (which is a very good museum tbf) I got to the top where you can pour your own Guinness or the next floor where you can be served a Guinness and look around the city

I got to the bar and ordered my mine, a straight off love island couple strolled up next to me and started milling around... "have you got any fosters?"

I was trying my hardest not to be judgemental but failed miserably

I did the Guiness Storehouse one morning before work when I was working in Dublin, it would have been rude not to given I was working about 200 yards up the road. I quite enjoyed it, the smells were glorious and the pint of Guiness in the tower was very good. Great spot for minesweeping pints of Guiness as all the people who didn't like Guiness had one sip and left them. Must have had 4 pints before going in for the last day babysitting the staff I'd been training.

The best pint of Guiness I had was in McCanns Bar just opposite where I was working, it was the closest pub to the Storehouse gate iirc, that was a magnificent pint

• Like 2

I never thought grudge bearing was an Irish thing, but my Irish grandma refused to speak to her entire extended family for about 50 years and has never told anyone why. She has dementia now so we’ll never find out.

I think it’s just a personality trait. Also, for all I know, maybe they did something awful to her, and it was completely justified. One of life’s mysteries.

I think stereotypes are partly true… different cultures give more leeway to different personality quirks. If you’re born with these quirks, some cultures celebrate or ignore them, while others try to correct them.

So like a tactile English boy who likes dancing and expressing his emotions will have it drummed out of him with cold stares. An American kid who loves irony and jokes that are actually funny will find himself dying in front of an audience that demands loud obvious humour. Etc.

We are all born in certain ways and then moulded by the people around us. That’s why all Spanish people have a lisp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

I did the Guiness Storehouse one morning before work when I was working in Dublin, it would have been rude not to given I was working about 200 yards up the road. I quite enjoyed it, the smells were glorious and the pint of Guiness in the tower was very good. Great spot for minesweeping pints of Guiness as all the people who didn't like Guiness had one sip and left them. Must have had 4 pints before going in for the last day babysitting the staff I'd been training.

The best pint of Guiness I had was in McCanns Bar just opposite where I was working, it was the closest pub to the Storehouse gate iirc, that was a magnificent pint

You think that was good, wait until you try the Guinness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The taking 10 mins to pour a pint thing is very obnoxious

Good things come to those who wait :D

Guinness Cold  (which was invented to dispense with the long pouring time) is far more obnoxious

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Good things come to those who wait :D

Guinness Cold  (which was invented to dispense with the long pouring time) is far more obnoxious

Either way, nothing is as obnoxious as the desiccated ruins of Pompeii that come out the next day. Dublin hangovers are beaten only by Belgian hangovers for sheer brain hell

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Either way, nothing is as obnoxious as the desiccated ruins of Pompeii that come out the next day. Dublin hangovers are beaten only by Belgian hangovers for sheer brain hell

Not something I generally suffer from tbh

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That was the best part of the museum, they have a floor showing you all the marketing campaigns

The old artwork is absolutely brilliant. Might dig out the old framed poster now that I’m allowed to have it on the wall again 🤔

Â