Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It was either here or in Interesting Maps. 

Screenshot_2022-09-16-10-15-30-50_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Amazing. Without having heard it before, I'm fairly sure I use the German one when I kick something with a bare toe.

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Why is it that when a guy is born, he comes out of a womens virgina,and

Spends the rest of his life trying to get back in ?

Speak for yourself. Re entering my mother's vagina has nevertheless ever crossed my mind you filthy pervert. 

You see so much written and talked about the British obsession with queueing. 

What do they do in other countries? A series of arm wrestling to decide who's next? General fisticuffs? Draw lots? Generally jostling to get to the front?

Whats so wrong with a fair orderly system to get someone served? Why's it seen as a weakness and a bit of a joke? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

What do they do in other countries? A series of arm wrestling to decide who's next? General fisticuffs? Draw lots? Generally jostling to get to the front?

Whats so wrong with a fair orderly system to get someone served? Why's it seen as a weakness and a bit of a joke? 

I'd say it's pretty good here too, at worst it's like trying to get served at a busy pub most people observe it but there's a few trying to non aggressively sneak their way down the sides 

Other than supermarkets and shops I'm not sure where I actually queue to do anything, public transport is a free for all

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd say it's pretty good here too, at worst it's like trying to get served at a busy pub most people observe it but there's a few trying to non aggressively sneak their way down the sides 

Other than supermarkets and shops I'm not sure where I actually queue to do anything, public transport is a free for all

Would never happen in Britain. Imagine the angry glares they would get, maybe even a severe tutting. No one could live with that, no one. 

Edited by sidcow

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Everyone just pushes in until a que is formed.

On 16/09/2022 at 11:25, tonyh29 said:

to give it more flavour ?

A bloke who used to knock around with our lots party piece was to suck the blue disinfectant blocks  out of urinals. Never had much luck with the ladies funnily enough

Queuing is just good manners and politeness, for outside observers it’s seen as formality, which are all considered quintessential characteristics of Britain.

Queuing is just a recognition that someone was there before you and you’re not special. Not everyone adheres to it though of course and some do think they’re special.

It’s in the same category for me as when you go to a bar, if I think someone’s been there longer than me but the barman comes to me first I’ll always offer it to that other party (though admittedly, this is a decent way to seem polite whilst also guaranteeing you get served after that person/party). But you still get the dicks who just rock up and are happy to be served first with zero consideration for anyone else who may have been there before them (and yes, a good bartender should know the order but good bartenders are few and far between these days).

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Queuing is just good manners and politeness, for outside observers it’s seen as formality, which are all considered quintessential characteristics of Britain.

Queuing is just a recognition that someone was there before you and you’re not special. Not everyone adheres to it though of course and some do think they’re special.

It’s in the same category for me as when you go to a bar, if I think someone’s been there longer than me but the barman comes to me first I’ll always offer it to that other party (though admittedly, this is a decent way to seem polite whilst also guaranteeing you get served after that person/party). But you still get the dicks who just rock up and are happy to be served first with zero consideration for anyone else who may have been there before them (and yes, a good bartender should know the order but good bartenders are few and far between these days).

When the bars reopened after covid and it was all app driven orders only it was like heaven , you ordered and the drinks arrived  without some  bloke elbowing his way in front of everyone and trying to shout to their mate 200 foot away asking what he wants to drink.

It’s a shame a lot of the pubs have gone back to the old way again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

When the bars reopened after covid and it was all app driven orders only it was like heaven , you ordered and the drinks arrived  without some  bloke elbowing his way in front of everyone and trying to shout to their mate 200 foot away asking what he wants to drink.

It’s a shame a lot of the pubs have gone back to the old way again 

It had obvious perks but I missed being able to go straight to the bar and get a drink so I’m happy it’s back.

The app / order to the table thing depended a lot on how good the staff were, and in some places around here they were shite.

Â