Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

My Dad repeatedly said he would get me and my brothers onto Tiswas but he never did 😔

I was on it when I was about six. Kid in school was invited and he took me along. Single most terrifying experience of my childhood. 
A large room full of grown ups shouting at you, telling you what to do. I’d never seen the show so had no idea what was going on. 
I remember doing the dying fly next to Tarrant and my mum gave me pelters when I got home for getting custard pie foam all over my Sunday best. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The first time I flew in a plane the captain let me sit in his chair and hold the controls.

I don't remember it as i was about 4, but a flight from South Africa, we got upgraded to an empty first class and I got to go in the cockpit and hold the controls. 

• Like 1

I've been in the cockpit of plenty of planes mid air, as a kid. It was pretty much the done thing - the kids got invited up. Fascinating. I think this was pre-digital gauges, so you had the flight engineer in there as well. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Xela said:

6vbxdxR.gif

Oh my dear lord. I shit you not I just read this post as the opening scene of Airplane is on the telly!

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid the Dock Police used to chase us off the docks in their police van.

When I got work experience at a timber yard on the dock, part of the job was to go to the bank every Friday in the back of the police van to pick up the factory wages.

I told them that I was one of the kids they used to chase off the docks, and they let me have a go at driving the police van.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Xela said:

I've been in the cockpit of plenty of planes mid air, as a kid. It was pretty much the done thing - the kids got invited up. Fascinating. I think this was pre-digital gauges, so you had the flight engineer in there as well. 

I’ve been in the cockpit during take off for a transatlantic flight. Can’t remeber if it was a 747 or an A350-900. 

It was spectacular. 

I was 25 at the time and felt like the biggest kid in the world. 

• Like 3

On 17/01/2022 at 09:20, El Zen said:

I’ve been in the cockpit during take off for a transatlantic flight. Can’t remeber if it was a 747 or an A350-900. 

It was spectacular. 

I was 25 at the time and felt like the biggest kid in the world. 

Did they have to use those extendable seat belts on you?  Or did you just not fit into a normal seat? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Did they have to use those extendable seat belts on you?  Or did you just not fit into a normal seat? 

You jest, but at 6ft4 and with the revenue maximalising leg space available on modern aircraft, that question brings out more traumatic memories than you realise 😔

Why did English motocycles go from the top of the heap to virtually non existant ?

I remember,when I was a teenager ( about 100 years ago ) all you saw was English bikes.Triumph,Norton,BSA,Matchless,AJS etc.I myself had an Aerial 600 Huntmaster and after that 5 ( one after the other ) Triumph Tiger T110s.I dont know for sure,but I would not be surprised if a Triumph Trident of BSA Road Rocket or Norton Dominator would leave a Harley for dead,yet British bikes are all but extinct ?!

8 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Why did English motocycles go from the top of the heap to virtually non existant ?

I remember,when I was a teenager ( about 100 years ago ) all you saw was English bikes.Triumph,Norton,BSA,Matchless,AJS etc.I myself had an Aerial 600 Huntmaster and after that 5 ( one after the other ) Triumph Tiger T110s.I dont know for sure,but I would not be surprised if a Triumph Trident of BSA Road Rocket or Norton Dominator would leave a Harley for dead,yet British bikes are all but extinct ?!

They weren’t in competition with Harley.

They were in competition with Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha.

I don’t know from first hand experience, but I know one by one all my dad’s mates came around to accepting that the imports were a lethal combination of cheaper and better.

Yes,your probably right.I remember when the first Honda came out ( the Honda Dream ) It was heaps slower than any British bike but it had key ignition ( You started it like a car ) which made it unusual at the time but for me personally I would have a Triumph anytime.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

On a related-ish note, it's not until quite recently (about 3 or 4 years ago) I found out Triumph cars and Triumph bikes were 2 completely separate companies. I just assumed they were 2 divisions of the same company, as with the likes of other companies who make both cars & bikes like Suzuki and Honda etc. But nope, they rather weirdly operated with the same name as each other and no links whatsoever. Mad that they were even allowed to do that.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Yes,your probably right.I remember when the first Honda came out ( the Honda Dream ) It was heaps slower than any British bike but it had key ignition ( You started it like a car ) which made it unusual at the time but for me personally I would have a Triumph anytime.

I had a Honda SS 50 as a starter bike, it was slow as ****. All my mates had 50cc bikes too and mine was the **** slowest.

So when I could get a 250 I got a Suzuki X7, now that could shift.

Even back in the early 80's only older bikers were riding British. All the kids wanted the speed and reliability of Japanese.

Â