Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I gave them kids the best years of my life and equipped them with important knowledge of oxbow lakes. 

It really is incredible that the thing *everyone* remembers from Geography is oxbow lakes. Are they just inherently interesting, compared to every other part of the syllabus?

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It really is incredible that the thing *everyone* remembers from Geography is oxbow lakes. Are they just inherently interesting, compared to every other part of the syllabus?

I did O Level Geography. I remember very little, oxbow lakes and rock types. Thats it. 

• Like 2

My nipper did Geography as part of the degree.

My entire contribution, when given an early mapping out draft of the dissertation to read through: ‘I don’t understand how the rise and fall of Nokia has anything to do with oxbow lakes, when are you getting around to oxbow lakes?’

Never saw any other drafts.

• Haha 2

On 23/06/2020 at 22:18, bickster said:

And the first 6 then 7 digits were completely governed by where you lived

021357 or 021358 were both Great Barr, then they became 0121....

Aye, 021382 for Erdington

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I used to press the buttons just to hear the beeps thinking they were something from another planet.

chloe.gif

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Is arms of mary the most famous song most people don’t know who its by? (Obviously some will know)

Arms of Mary?

jmjRm1i.jpg?1

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Now I am concerned that Arms of Mary might have passed you people, yeah, you people by. 
Its a fantastic chunk of soft rock. 

I knew the song...and I couldn't have named the artist in a million years, so your theory could be sound. It is also one of the songs where nobody really know the words, so singing it in the car consists of "uh uuh uh uuuuh uh uh uh, uh huh uh uuuuuh uh uh uh, uh uh uuh uh uh in the arms of Mary" 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Now I am concerned that Arms of Mary might have passed you people, yeah, you people by. 
Its a fantastic chunk of soft rock. 

I have absolutely no recolection of ever hearing that before. I now having listened to it, wish to never hear it again

"The light shines down the valley, the wind blows up the alley." Thats just really shit below par juvenile poetry isn't it

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Is arms of mary the most famous song most people don’t know who its by? (Obviously some will know)

I am 50 years old and feel I have a pretty good knowledge of music, usually do pretty well on BBC Radio 2 popmaster and pub quiz music rounds. 

I've never heard this song before in my life so I would say no it's not the most famous song most people don’t know who its by because I don't think it's a particularly famous song. 

In my experience of pub quizzes pretty much any merseybeat song foxes a lot of people and there are quite a few 70s disco songs that 90% of people can sing word for word but hardly anyone knows who sings it. 

The numbers of times I've sat there disbelieving that I don't know who sang X disco song really amazes me.  Then you have to put Rose Royce or Earth Wind and Fire or something down knowing damn well it's wrong. 

Edited by sidcow

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

**** sake. Its arms of mary, do you lot even listen to music. 

Are you sure you've heard it? You might be suffering from the Mandela Effect. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

**** sake. Its arms of mary, do you lot even listen to music. 

I think your answering your own question about "the most famous song" bit of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Even the mechanical bull crowd would turn their stetsons down at that one

I'm with Seat68 - it's a fecking classic. Up there with 'Maggie May' as a 'remember your first shag' song. Speaking of Rod Stewart, 'Sailing' was also a Sutherland Brothers song (I'm digging myself a deeper hole here, aren't I?)   :)

• Like 1

Â