Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 9/30/2016 at 07:44, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

How or why do diamond drill bits gt replaced ? Unless it is drilling diamonds itself I don't get it.

Diamond drill bits can wear out, whilst they're stronger than most everything in a one on one scientific match up, they are used relentlessly and they will wear. Easiest way to describe that, is that rock is 'stronger' than a drip of water or some wind blown sand. But rock erodes when dripped on.

But most often it's the fixing of the diamond to the metal drill bit that's the weak point. They basically get knocked out and go missing. The weak link, is that whilst a diamond is strong, at some point it has to be fixed in to a bit or a shaft or on the end of a stick with something that isn't as strong. So they get knocked out. Like a tooth in a gum, or flint tied to the end of a spear.

Your bog standard domestic home use diamond drill bit really has diamond dust bonded to a metal shaft. That'll wear out after a number of goes depending on what you are drilling. Drilling dainty little holes through some sea glass necklace your making? You might get a hundred goes at it. Through flint, less goes.

Drilling for oil? That's a different monkey. That's tiny pieces of synthetic or man made diamond mixed in with super strong metals. So they aren't bonded or stuck on the surface, they're mixed in with the metal. They still wear our or wear down though. Synthetic diamond comes in different specifications and if your willing to pay, can be stronger and longer lasting than natural diamond.

There you go!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Diamond drill bits can wear out, whilst they're stronger than most everything in a one on one scientific match up, they are used relentlessly and they will wear. Easiest way to describe that, is that rock is 'stronger' than a drip of water or some wind blown sand. But rock erodes when dripped on.

But most often it's the fixing of the diamond to the metal drill bit that's the weak point. They basically get knocked out and go missing. The weak link, is that whilst a diamond is strong, at some point it has to be fixed in to a bit or a shaft or on the end of a stick with something that isn't as strong. So they get knocked out. Like a tooth in a gum, or flint tied to the end of a spear.

Your bog standard domestic home use diamond drill bit really has diamond dust bonded to a metal shaft. That'll wear out after a number of goes depending on what you are drilling. Drilling dainty little holes through some sea glass necklace your making? You might get a hundred goes at it. Through flint, less goes.

Drilling for oil? That's a different monkey. That's tiny pieces of synthetic or man made diamond mixed in with super strong metals. So they aren't bonded or stuck on the surface, they're mixed in with the metal. They still wear our or wear down though. Synthetic diamond comes in different specifications and if your willing to pay, can be stronger and longer lasting than natural diamond.

There you go!

No way. thanks for the reply and info.  "Easiest way to describe that, is that rock is 'stronger' than a drip of water or some wind blown sand. But rock erodes when dripped on.",  this is good as I totally get it now.  It's quite surprising that the ground is so damm tough compared to technology,  we have had ages to work on this and we still need to change drill bits as the cavemen and spear users did.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Seat68 said:

One for the Irish posters. The Saw Doctors years back had a rather splendid song Michael D Rocking In The Dail. Who was Michael D, was he popular?

That would be our current president and yes in fact he's more popular now than ever :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

China

and that's a serious answer btw

Yep, in the same way that America won when war broke out in Europe

only this time tbf I don't think there'd be much left, keep thinking that when I see the Middle East cities such as Aleppo, there's going to be nothing left to claim as a "victory" they've decimated huge areas 

what would be interesting is post war if somewhere rose again like Tokyo did, in a way the damage operation meetinghouse (look it up, it's ridiculous how much damage they did and not as well reported as the 2 nuclear bombings, also watch grave of the fireflies) created the mega city we have now

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 21:22, Ingram85 said:

Where my old lights out went to?  Probably in the loft of my mom and dads old house. May buy a new one. Loved mine as a kid.

2b45d7c89a3012aad4cd6d6a60ed7606.jpg

Imagine giving that to an 8-10 year old now!

Probably nothing, tbh. Others will come and go but Facebook would have to **** up to mind-boggling levels.

Facebook has reached a level of adoption that none of the former top social media sites had. In the same way Alta Vista and Yahoo fell away, but it's hard to see Google going anywhere.

Edited by Davkaus

Yeah it would probably need to be a complete change of how we use social media for the status quo to change now. Like the rise of smartphones and mobile messengers that killed desktop messengers like MSN, AIM, ICQ, etc

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

What will replace Facebook as the next big social network 

I don't think anything will. The level of investment that people have put into it means that they will not look at alternatives.. If I cancelled my facebook account now, I'd lose photos and memories from nearly a decade ago that other people have posted/tagged me in. Also, you would need a massive change in mindshare to do it. Even if you did discover the next greatest social media network, would 90% of the people that you know choose to swap over as well?

I only really use facebook now because some of my friends are in the dark ages and still communicate via facebook messenger. If they all swapped to whatsapp i'd quite happily not log in for weeks on end, but I could never cancel my account because of the above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

About a year ago 90% of my message traffic was on WhatsApp. Now I have one group chat. Everything else is on messenger. The only thing messenger has over WhatsApp is the ability to send Gifs.

Of your dick?

14 hours ago, Xela said:

What will replace Facebook as the next big social network 

The Chinese app WeChat is being looked at seriously over here.

FB will be mindful of the fate of Friends Reunited, and will likely be looking at matching at least some of WeChat's functionality.

WeChat is bloody nosey mind, the Chinese are maybe more comfortable with that than us.

Â