Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

At the petroleum pumps how far over the rounded number is acceptable without expecting to pay ....ie 20.01....I wouldn't expect to pay the .01

There was an interesting (!) article on the radio recently about the plight of petrol station owners.

They end up tied to a single product, but many make absolutely no money from the petrol. The petrol is sold on at the same price it comes in for, it simply acts as the attraction to go in the shop and buy a twix. It's the profit on the twix that is the sole income of many petrol station owners. To the point where they've been sold £2,000 worth of petrol and that's how much the petrol company get, £2,0000. If he choses to let you off your penny, he pays that penny to the petrol supplier himself. What's more, if he gets a drive off and loses £50 of fuel, that's his business, the petrol company still want their £2,000 for the £2,000 of petrol. 

Problem is, may police forces are now reluctant to do anything about thefts of under £50, even if you have video and plates etc.. 

They interviewed a couple that were in the process of signing away their petrol station as the average of £150 of drive offs a week was wiping out their family income. They estimated that last year they had a joint income, after losses on petrol, of under £10k and it was killing them. 'Better off on benefits' and all that was quoted.

I think those peoples' thought process for literally every decision they make takes longer than ours. I'd say they're still working to a deficit.

At the petroleum pumps how far over the rounded number is acceptable without expecting to pay ....ie 20.01....I wouldn't expect to pay the .01

Who pays cash for petrol?

Who pays cash for petrol?

also,

if it dispensed .95 of a litre and charged for a whole litre, would that be ok?

Surely you just pay what you owe?

I've not once ever paid anything except the exact amount shown on the pump. Is that actually a thing?

How do you do it?

"Hi petrol station man. I only want to pay £20 instead of the £20.03 I owe"?

• Like 2

I wouldn't give the .01 on 20/50/100 fill unless the dude said that's xx.01 please but yet paying by card I do ....I guess they take it as the .01 as been an "accident" ...it's when one of the lads at work says he would go as far as xx.08 and give a huff handing it over ...where if I went that far I would have to aim for 21 and pay the 21

Surely you just pay what you owe?

I've not once ever paid anything except the exact amount shown on the pump. Is that actually a thing?

How do you do it?

"Hi petrol station man. I only want to pay £20 instead of the £20.03 I owe"?

Over here it's typically a case that if you're paying by card then it's linked to the pump so they've no option but to charge you the exact amount.  But if you've put €20.0[1234] into the tank and you throw them a €20 in cash then that's fine because they don't want to faff around with the change.  I think once you hit the €20.05 though it becomes significant enough that they'd want it all.  But all of the above is obviously at the discretion of the cashier.

You pay for what you take surely? be that 1p, 5p, or 10p over. If you haven't got the man skills required to control a petrol pump to the penny, then you deserve to have to be searching the dark recesses of your glovebox for any loose change  ;)

• Like 3

What are the chances of the guy with the worst breath in the world working in our office?

And why won't he won't shut up?

And why does he insist on sitting next to a fan?

And is it possible to die from a bad smell?

• Like 2

Â