Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Couldn't have put it better myself, CED.

Very patronising to assume that people prefer the British Isles because they are unimaginative or afraid of flying.

(I love flying as it happens). 

• Like 1

I disagree with Donnie's post on holidays in the UK as much as I do about his posts about films. Nothing personal of course, different strokes and all that, I just hate the way you label people as braindead morons for watching the avengers while on holiday in dawlish or summat.

• Like 1

But Britain has some of the most beautiful countryside in the world. you just have to choose your destination carefully.

It's not just Blackpool and Southend.

See what everyone says about our countryside being the most beautiful is simply not true. How many other country sides have you seen?? Not having a dig but seems to be the same old quote a lot of people say without seeing any other countryside.

Top of my head the countrysides in Slovenia especially, Italy and China are better then ours.

Well I'm not HUGELY well travelled, but I've been to the USA, France, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Spain, Greece and Lebanon.

They all have their attractions, but personally I think that the Scottish Highlands and Islands, the Yorkshire Dales, Snowdonia, the Cotswolds and the Devon and Cornwall coasts can hold their own with any of them.

And you can get a decent cup of tea.

this

apart form the Yorkshire bit  ... and the tea bit (horrible drink )

Beach holidays have their place.

I'd love one at the moment just because my "holidays" this year have either been stag dos or lads' weekends. And I'm knackered.

So a week of sitting on the beach doing nothing is very attractive.

But usually, I'd rather a couple of beach days mixed in with days of actually doing stuff.

I can't stand 'beach holidays'. People who travel for hours just to get up, go to the beach and get pissed. How **** dull and unimaginative those people are.

I like places with a good bit of history, culture, and good beer. The UK has those in abundance.

I'd enjoy two weeks in Yorkshire every bit as much as Tuscany. It really comes down to how active you are in seeking out things to see and do.

I agree with this on the one hand, but on the other hand I'm not a massive culture / history seeker either. I love a beach holiday, but one which is packed with Scuba Diving, Surfing, Kayaking, walks and other activities. 

I can't say that I would ever choose a UK destination over something a little more exotic, but there are plenty of fantastic places to visit on weekend breaks in the meantime.

But Britain has some of the most beautiful countryside in the world. you just have to choose your destination carefully.

It's not just Blackpool and Southend.

See what everyone says about our countryside being the most beautiful is simply not true. How many other country sides have you seen?? Not having a dig but seems to be the same old quote a lot of people say without seeing any other countryside.

Top of my head the countrysides in Slovenia especially, Italy and China are better then ours.

Ohhhh where shall I start :-)

but why do you think they are better than ours  ... chances are it's because you are over familiar with the Uk ones and just take them for granted

any view you got in Slovenia you'd get in the UK and with respect Slovenia is as dull as can be , which the UK isn't  , Milton Keynes apart

I

I live walking distance from the beach, a 10 / 15 minute stroll through a country park to the beach.

Prefer Brit hols to foreign beach hols but toying with the idea of renting a place with a pool on Gozo next year just to do nothing but bob n burn for a change.

I can't stand 'beach holidays'. People who travel for hours just to get up, go to the beach and get pissed. How **** dull and unimaginative those people are.

I like places with a good bit of history, culture, and good beer. The UK has those in abundance.

I'd enjoy two weeks in Yorkshire every bit as much as Tuscany. It really comes down to how active you are in seeking out things to see and do.

Agree to an extent. I really like beaches anyway. But when I was in the States last summer, we had 2 days off after 25 days straight on and we just took a crate to a beach about 2 hours away in Maine and drank for about 10 hours straight and it was comfortably one of the best days of my life.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Surely you get more culture and history in places like Barcelona and Rome. Much cheaper beer in places like Prague, krakow, etc then Yorkshire??! All places you can get to for as low as £40 return.

Who in their right mind would rather go Yorkshire for a holiday then somewhere like Barcelona??

Some people like familiarity, some people don't like foreigners. Some people dislike the UK, some people have been going to the same place out of habit. So many reasons for it and you're displaying a massively dismissive attitude

It's incredibly close-minded to say the UK has no good scenary, countryside etc.

Personal preference.

I know I couldn't go on holidays and do nothing. Which kind of means I can't go away to relax. I go away to experience. My attitude is very much that I can quite easily and cheaply 'do nothing' on my arse at home. Why the hell would I waste a foreign country by vegetating in it? Nah, it's not me.

• Like 3

I know I couldn't go on holidays and do nothing. Which kind of means I can't go away to relax. I go away to experience. My attitude is very much that I can quite easily and cheaply 'do nothing' on my arse at home. Why the hell would I waste a foreign country by vegetating in it? Nah, it's not me.

Agreed. Although there are exceptions I'd say.

Some people like familiarity, some people don't like foreigners. Some people dislike the UK, some people have been going to the same place out of habit. So many reasons for it and you're displaying a massively dismissive attitude

It's incredibly close-minded to say the UK has no good scenary, countryside etc.

Personal preference.

I annoy you don't I Stefan :-)

My mother and her boyfriend just spent £1800 to go to Majorca for a week, to sit in a hotel complex and get drunk. For that price I could have an awesome adventure around Europe for a month or two, or go somewhere far more exotic.

I can't comprehend it, but they're excited about it so whatever. 

Surely you get more culture and history in places like Barcelona and Rome. Much cheaper beer in places like Prague, krakow, etc then Yorkshire??! All places you can get to for as low as £40 return.

Who in their right mind would rather go Yorkshire for a holiday then somewhere like Barcelona??

Depends what you want. For a 'city break' Barcelona is obviously going to beat Leeds or Sheffield.

But there's plenty of 'outdoors' stuff to do in Yorkshire. Personally, I'd rather walk the coast here than in baking dry heat, for example.

So to answer your question - me (sometimes, anyway).

Â