Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are one of the top teams in this league so it would hardly be something new to him. He's shown he can buy in players and rebuild a squad quite well. He has also shown he has a good eye for talent after what he did at Parma. They spent a fair bit yes, but we can spend a fair bit too.. Ancelotti coming here would be a pretty easy job for him. At best he only needs to buy a new goalkeeper and some defenders, at worst some midfielders too.. The rest will be down to his tactics and work ethic.

1. We are not one of the top teams in this league. We are a long way off fourth. and now that liverplop are back on form, 6th is probably the best we hope for.

2. So it would be easy except for the fact that we need to sign a goalkeeper, a few defenders and a few midfielders? Half a team then?!

Another big problem with Ancelotti, if he does do well with us, say he gets us back up to 5th or 6th, does anyone really think he wouldnt be picked up by the big teams again??

Yet another 2 or 3 year cycle. We need to go for a young, lesser known manager, someone who can help to build the club from top to bottom. We need to aim for someone who could possibly still be here is 5/6 years time. Like moyes at everton or Ferguson at united

We are one of the top teams in this league so it would hardly be something new to him. He's shown he can buy in players and rebuild a squad quite well. He has also shown he has a good eye for talent after what he did at Parma. They spent a fair bit yes, but we can spend a fair bit too.. Ancelotti coming here would be a pretty easy job for him. At best he only needs to buy a new goalkeeper and some defenders, at worst some midfielders too.. The rest will be down to his tactics and work ethic.

1. We are not one of the top teams in this league. We are a long way off fourth. and now that liverplop are back on form, 6th is probably the best we hope for.

2. So it would be easy except for the fact that we need to sign a goalkeeper, a few defenders and a few midfielders? Half a team then?!

All time table says we are one of the top teams in English football never mind the Premier League since 92/93 we have been known as the great under achievers, but we do have a pretty full trophy cabinet.

i have to say i think Ancelotti would be a massive mistake. The guy has only ever managed top top clubs. He has always been able to attract the worlds best with alot of money to spend.

Villa would be a totally different proposition. He would need to work with less capable players, he would struggle to attract the top calibre and he has never been proven in those circumstances.

For £5 million a year, i think i could prove disastrous

No he hasn't.

Villa would essentially be the same as when he was at Parma.

...or far better than Reggiana!

didnt manage them in Serie A, got promotion from B and left for Parma.

Reggiana may not be a top top club, but they would be expected to be challenging for promotion to serie A.

Dont get me wrong, i think the guy is a good manager. My only concern is whether he will be able to have success at villa that would see £5 million a year as good business?

What?

You said he hasnt managed anything other than top teams. Reggiana, no matter what is said, are not!

I dont really know what you are arguing.

im saying that although reggiana are not a top team, if he has only managed them in Serie B then they would still have been one of top teams in that division fighting for the title.

My whole point is based around has he ever really managed a group of players that was expected to finish 6-10th place in the league? The answer is clearly no.

He has always managed teams who are expected to finish top, therefore he has had the pick of players to choose from.

As said before i think he is a good manager, but for £5 million a year, i think there are better options, and options who have more experience of finding bargain players and turning smaller teams into surprise packages

Oh I see!

Dont agree with you though!

Its a moot point but he would not have had the pick of players as he had a whole division of teams above him taking them away. Thus would be at an even bigger disadvantage than we are.

Maybe you have a point about his lack of experience in finding bargains and dealing with smaller expectations. However nothing says that he would be found wanting here, surely a good coach is a good coach, no matter his demands.

All time table says we are one of the top teams in English football never mind the Premier League since 92/93 we have been known as the great under achievers, but we do have a pretty full trophy cabinet.

I am well aware of our history my friend. I am also aware that we have not won a trophy for 15 years and the last time we finished in what would now be a CL spot was also 15 years ago.

At the moment we are at best 6th best (not biggest) team in the league.

Parma were sixth when Carlo took them over and had a couple of players in the national side. We were 6th 3 seasons in a row with a couple of players in the national side.

I think he'd know what he was doing if he came here.

i have to say i think Ancelotti would be a massive mistake. The guy has only ever managed top top clubs. He has always been able to attract the worlds best with alot of money to spend.

Villa would be a totally different proposition. He would need to work with less capable players, he would struggle to attract the top calibre and he has never been proven in those circumstances.

For £5 million a year, i think i could prove disastrous

No he hasn't.

Villa would essentially be the same as when he was at Parma.

...or far better than Reggiana!

didnt manage them in Serie A, got promotion from B and left for Parma.

Reggiana may not be a top top club, but they would be expected to be challenging for promotion to serie A.

Dont get me wrong, i think the guy is a good manager. My only concern is whether he will be able to have success at villa that would see £5 million a year as good business?

What?

You said he hasnt managed anything other than top teams. Reggiana, no matter what is said, are not!

I dont really know what you are arguing.

im saying that although reggiana are not a top team, if he has only managed them in Serie B then they would still have been one of top teams in that division fighting for the title.

My whole point is based around has he ever really managed a group of players that was expected to finish 6-10th place in the league? The answer is clearly no.

He has always managed teams who are expected to finish top, therefore he has had the pick of players to choose from.

As said before i think he is a good manager, but for £5 million a year, i think there are better options, and options who have more experience of finding bargain players and turning smaller teams into surprise packages

Oh I see!

Dont agree with you though!

Its a moot point but he would not have had the pick of players as he had a whole division of teams above him taking them away. Thus would be at an even bigger disadvantage than we are.

Maybe you have a point about his lack of experience in finding bargains and dealing with smaller expectations. However nothing says that he would be found wanting here, surely a good coach is a good coach, no matter his demands.

yeah and as i have said, im not sure he wouldnt do well here, but its a risk, a risk that comes with a big financial pay check.

Also if he did do well, he most likely would be poached by a bigger club within 2-3 years, meaning once again we are starting over with no consistency

I am well aware of our history my friend. I am also aware that we have not won a trophy for 15 years and the last time we finished in what would now be a CL spot was also 15 years ago.

At the moment we are at best 6th best (not biggest) team in the league.

So were Parma when Ancelotti took them over - and wow we haven't won a trophy in 15 years, its a lot worse for other clubs most notably Everton.

Another big problem with Ancelotti, if he does do well with us, say he gets us back up to 5th or 6th, does anyone really think he wouldnt be picked up by the big teams again??

That's not really a problem, IMO.

So if we had of got relegated he might have came here as then we'd be one of the top teams in the league fighting for the title?

That's not really a problem, IMO.

Agreed.

Worrying about doing well is not on my worry list at moment.

I don't think it will be Ancelotti to be honest, even the Sky Italia report said he refused the job (I had it translated by 2 seperate fluent Italian speakers just to clarify, it's not a mis-translation, it says he refused the job...), I think it will be one of Jol or McClaren (not a fan!).

Nope, I had it translated by one of my best friends who is fluent in Italian and was born Italy, he said 'Sky Italia also are refusing to rule out Carlo Ancelotti' - Carlo has gone on record saying he wants to stay in the Premier League, said he'd even manage West Ham for crying out loud.

Arrrrgggh, so which is it?

To suggest that Ancelotti wouldn't know what to do, is madness.

As he's managed better than us, he has higher standards and will demand more from and push his players harder.

He's managed a team below us (Reggina) and got them promoted, then took over a similarly placed team.

He'd be worth 5mil a year at least.

Interesting that Hughes is now all set for Chelsea if John Terry has his way. If that's the case Hiddink could be an interesting candidate for the Villa job? If we've approached Carlo why wouldn't we approach Gus too?

Thoughts?

The longer it goes on without a strong link then its more likley to be Hughes. I just dread a post of someone seeing RAFA or Mclaren at VP - Mclaren is worryingly short odds !

Someone mentioning on here that Lerner and McClaren "get on" (or words to that effect) concerns me a bit!

Also if he did do well, he most likely would be poached by a bigger club within 2-3 years, meaning once again we are starting over with no consistency

TBH 99% of managers who do well enough to be approached by the bigger clubs are going to leave.

Unfortunatley that is the price of success at our level!