Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Well Gabby is not the brightest button in the box so I wouldn't believe anything coming from him

Maybe a similar logic should be applied to your posts.

Why would Randy want to appoint someone who has got less than a quarter of the votes than that of the fans favourite?

Because it is not a popularity contest.

The appointment of a manager reflects the level of ambition of the club. To appoint Hughes would clearly state that the ambition is very low

Obviously the current England captain lacks ambition for his club as well then

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or is Hughes agent sounding ridiculous - Hughes may go to Spain, Itlay, Chelsea - but hies definitely not going to villa sort of speak - why would a bloke who is in negotiation with Fulham suddenly resign for something as vague a job in 'spain or italy'

To me the real pisser is - if we wait until july 1 - then Hughes has a very strong hand - if he turns us down on july 1 - were are approaching last summers scenario

Guardian - Martin Jol expected to join Fulham, and Steve McClaren is in our thoughts as a serious contender but behind our first choice Martin Jol. Owen Coyle is being considered.

If Jol is our first choice, why is he expected to join Fulham?

He still has a house in London! He would move there just to be in London IMO.

Ian Taylor has spoken out for a lot of fans..

'Randy, prove your ambition - pick Ancelotti'

Express and Star

Villa legend Ian Taylor today urged owner Randy Lerner to do everything he can to persuade Carlo Ancelotti to take the vacant manager’s position.

Gerard Houllier has now formally left the club after the terms of his settlement were concluded and Villa’s board will now draw up a shortlist of names to replace the Frenchman.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is the current favourite as he is able to exercise a break clause in his contract which would allow him to leave Craven Cottage for nothing, although Mohammed Al Fayed is hopeful of persuading him to sign a new deal.

But Express & Star columnist Taylor, who is Villa’s official ambassador, revealed former Chelsea boss Ancelotti would be his No.1 choice to take over.

“If there is even the slightest chance they can get him, then Villa have to go for Carlo Ancelotti,” said Taylor.

To appoint Hughes would clearly state that the ambition is very low.

No it wouldn't.

Why?

Because i rate him.

I'd like Ancelotti and would be my first choice and it would be a coup of some sorts .

but i like Hughes as well - imo an improving and hungry manager - who imo would do well here. His sides do play some decent stuff as well.

I think hes being underated by some.

Mark Hughes won nothing as manager of Wales, he won nothing as manager of Man City and he won nothing as manager of Fulham and he quit his post with them after one season when they were willing to give him a job when no other club was willing to take him.

However, Ancelotti has won numerous trophies in his time as a manager at various clubs including winning the Champions League twice and he took Chelsea to double winning success in 2009/2010.

Now, if I was faced with the CV's of these two I think I know which one would impress me the most.

Another thing is if he was so good why did Man City fire him? It's not like the club are missing him right now. The fans don't rate him at all and were hoping we would take their deadwood off them if he became our manager. Not a good sign tbh.

Mark Hughes won nothing as manager of Wales, he won nothing as manager of Man City and he won nothing as manager of Fulham and he quit his post with them after one season when they were willing to give him a job when no other club was willing to take him.

However, Ancelotti has won numerous trophies in his time as a manager at various clubs including winning the Champions League twice and he took Chelsea to double winning success in 2009/2010.

Now, if I was faced with the CV's of these two I think I know which one would impress me the most.

Well if its anything like the real world, then Randy probably thinks Carlo's 'over qualified'.

Another thing is if he was so good why did Man City fire him? It's not like the club are missing him right now. The fans don't rate him at all and were hoping we would take their deadwood off them if he became our manager. Not a good sign tbh.

They were 5th when he was sacked. They finished 5th that season.

And If anything he would of learnt a lot from his time at City .

Id rather Hughes than Jol and McClaren put it that way.

This talk about mark Hughes is making me ill,we have a real opportunity to get a quality manager in. Managers like m.h are dime a dozen and will leave us with mid table mediocrity to look forward to. Randy lerner is no mug he knows he could attract a manager like M.H even if we were in the championship.....start thinking big guys...we are a big club!!!

Well if its anything like the real world, then Randy probably thinks Carlo's 'over qualified'.

Why would he think that? :?

That would be a very sad indictment of his ambition and AVFC if it were true.

This talk about mark Hughes is making me ill,we have a real opportunity to get a quality manager in. Managers like m.h are dime a dozen and will leave us with mid table mediocrity to look forward to. Randy lerner is no mug he knows he could attract a manager like M.H even if we were in the championship.....start thinking big guys...we are a big club!!!

Ditto

Is it me or is Hughes agent sounding ridiculous - Hughes may go to Spain, Itlay, Chelsea - but hies definitely not going to villa sort of speak - why would a bloke who is in negotiation with Fulham suddenly resign for something as vague a job in 'spain or italy'

To me the real pisser is - if we wait until july 1 - then Hughes has a very strong hand - if he turns us down on july 1 - were are approaching last summers scenario

This is selling speech.

He will go to Chelsea (and Manch. United in three years). So the agent talk about Spain and Italy to impress Chelsea.

John Terry has spoken: Hiddink and Hughes are welcome.

he quit his post with them after one season when they were willing to give him a job when no other club was willing to take him.

If he'd have waited a few days later he'd have probably got the Villa job when O'Neill walked.

I desperately want us to get 'lotti' but deep down I think we will probably end up with Hughes. I just don't understand why he quit Fulham when he did, its just too much of a coincidence to ignore.

There has been a lot of speculation today linking Hughes to Chelsea, Chelsea really? Abramovich is many things, but he's not **** stupid. Why sack Ancelotti, a proven winner and replace him with Hughes who's won exactly nothing. Of course Abramovich will demand that he wins one of, if not all of the CL, the League and the cup. It just doesn't make sense to me, Chelsea 'legend' or not.

he quit his post with them after one season when they were willing to give him a job when no other club was willing to take him.

If he'd have waited a few days later he'd have probably got the Villa job when O'Neill walked.

Well yeah considering the list of candidates was a pile of crap back then. Kevin MacDonald, Bob Bradley, Alan Curbishley etc. were painful to see.