Emile Heskey

R.Bear

Sometimes I think Im watching a different game to some people. Yes he did some good things BUT having Heskey in the team means we lose possession at least 50% of the time from goal kicks because the only tactic is hoof it up to him and he can't win every header. Also he was caught out of position so often in the first half yesterday (granted he is not a left midfielder BUT why play him there?!)

A shocking player who should just be given a free transfer!

agreed, why we bought him in the first place is a mystery

no mystery at all to be honest. We were playing gabby up front alone as Carew had a long term back injury. We were crying out for a big man to play alongside Gabby just to give us some options. Heskey was receiving excellent reviews at the time due to his england performances. We had a manager that had previously managed Heskey witnessing some of his best years at the start of his career.

It hasnt worked out, but surely you can understand the gamble.

It was a gamble with very long odds. Not because of Heskey's abilities (or lack thereof) but because of the other players that we had. Carew and Gabby's relationship was always a little strange, IMO, with the Big Man tending to drop deep and act as the "link" to midfield and Gabby, certainly after his bulking up, tending to play on the last defender.

Heskey has always been at his best when he is the main man/the no. 9/the point striker and is the focus of the attack with others (like Owen, Rooney etc.) running from deep and utilising the space that the awkward Heskey, buffeting the CBs around, creates. Gabby has never been, and never will be, IMO, this type of player.

So MON bought a good player BUT not a good fit for what we already had.

The acquisition of Bent makes this even more pronounced. Heskey could have had a fantastic swansong at his club, Leicester, as the main man and the focal point of a Chamionship attack BUT he will not achieve this as an ACM in a top half (hopefully) PL team.

A shocking player who should just be given a free transfer!

agreed, why we bought him in the first place is a mystery

no mystery at all to be honest. We were playing gabby up front alone as Carew had a long term back injury. We were crying out for a big man to play alongside Gabby just to give us some options. Heskey was receiving excellent reviews at the time due to his england performances. We had a manager that had previously managed Heskey witnessing some of his best years at the start of his career.

It hasnt worked out, but surely you can understand the gamble.

It was a gamble with very long odds. Not because of Heskey's abilities (or lack thereof) but because of the other players that we had. Carew and Gabby's relationship was always a little strange, IMO, with the Big Man tending to drop deep and act as the "link" to midfield and Gabby, certainly after his bulking up, tending to play on the last defender.

Heskey has always been at his best when he is the main man/the no. 9/the point striker and is the focus of the attack with others (like Owen, Rooney etc.) running from deep and utilising the space that the awkward Heskey, buffeting the CBs around, creates. Gabby has never been, and never will be, IMO, this type of player.

So MON bought a good player BUT not a good fit for what we already had.

The acquisition of Bent makes this even more pronounced. Heskey could have had a fantastic swansong at his club, Leicester, as the main man and the focal point of a Chamionship attack BUT he will not achieve this as an ACM in a top half (hopefully) PL team.

Not long odds at all at the time. Carew was injured, there was talk of him not playing all season. We were getting results with Gabby as a main striker but we had no others. No one else at all.

We needed a striker, for everyone at the time it looked like we needed a big man to help relieve pressure and to close out games. Heskey was getting very good reviews for England, also had a reputation at the time of being a great hard working strike partner. He was cheap and it was a no brainer.

It hasnt worked out and Im not a fan but at the time it was a real common sense move.

At times looks disinterested and lazy, but by-heck is he a presence in the final third. Won his fair share of knock-ons and was good in the build up play. I think McLeish likes him there for some added protection at corners. I'm indifferent to whether he starts, but I don't think you can play Bannan and N'Zogbia in the same team.

• 2 weeks later...

Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey open to Leicester City return

The former Liverpool forward made 197 appearances after making his breakthrough with the Foxes and has spoken of his desire to play there again toward the end of his career

Aston Villa forward Emile Heskey has hinted he would be open to a return to former club Leicester City.

The 33-year-old was born and raised in the city and made his name with the Foxes as a young striker during their spell in the Premier League.

Heskey told the Leicester Mercury: "Hypothetically, I would love to come back, so never say never - but my current loyalty obviously remains to Villa.

"Because I was born and raised in Leicester, and my family still live there, and it is the club where everything started for me, I can't say I will never go back.

"Who knows where football will take me. We will have to just wait and see, but I can't rule it out."

The former England international also went on to defend the recently sacked Sven-Goran Eriksson sympathising with the task facing managers in living up to the successes of Martin O'Neill.

"I was a little bit sad to see Sven sacked, but after Martin O'Neill left it was always going to be difficult for the next few managers.

"In five years, O'Neill went to Wembley four times - one play-off final and three cups finals - plus we finished in the top half of the Premier League every time.

"Martin's legacy still lives on, so the guys who follow him have an uphill task."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shall I put the champagne on ice?

I will be gutted if he starts Tonight.

He hasn't been playing badly, but I just dread him being in the starting line-up. He kills our creativity and halts any counter attacks.

Of course Heskey is playing again tonight.

Im pretty sure i read somewhere on here that we supposedly have a strong midfield, so one has to wonder why we tonight against Tottenham start with 6 defenders (Warnock, Collins, Dunne, Cuellar, Hutton, Herd), 3 forwards (HESKEY, Bent, Agbonlahor) and only old man Petrov as a natural midfielder?

For the first time in all the twenty years I have been supporting Aston Villa I have switched off the game due to complete absence of interest. Why on earth would I want to watch a team in such a dire state that only plays one recognised midfielder and plays ALL their attacks through an out of position Emile Heskey.

The inevitability of Tottenham's first goal gave my brain a very dull ache (that has been building up since Downing changed his mind about wanting to stay probably). They had 81% possession in the first 20 minutes.

It was all capped off when £24m Darren Bent chested the ball in the area and just left it assuming he was offside.

NOTHING about supporting this club and more importantly this sport is fun anymore.

Why the **** in the first minute did he try nod the ball down back across goal instead of going for goal and why the **** when Gabby put him in didnt he just have a lash at it rather than trying to play a ball that Bent would never ever get.

Â