The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

do American clubs only get one "foreign import player" allowance?

My understanding is they get 3 designated players, they sit outside of the salary cap

Not sure what the salary cap is, higuain for example they can pay £100k a week, the rest of the squad have to come within the cap

Matuidi isn't a DP either 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sne said:

3 designated players, or the "Beckham rule"

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My understanding is they get 3 designated players, they sit outside of the salary cap

Not sure what the salary cap is, higuain for example they can pay £100k a week, the rest of the squad have to come within the cap

Matuidi isn't a DP either 

hmm, and they chose Shawcross as one of those??, scraping the barrel a bit?

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

hmm, and they chose Shawcross as one of those??, scraping the barrel a bit?

No, they have 3 already 

That's what I mean, he'll be there officially on around £1-2k a week, along with Matuidi, which does seem quite good from becks 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

No, they have 3 already 

That's what I mean, he'll be there officially on around £1-2k a week, along with Matuidi, which does seem quite good from becks 

oh right ok....interesting.

• 1 month later...

Charlotte FC getting act together to launch next season. Richest NFL owner David Tepper owns the team. One side of Rock hill where he bought 100 acres is already being bulldozed for panthers practice facility and numerous other ventures. They’re even building an exit off the motorway dor it 😂🤣

some of you may remember Alex Martinez who played for me. Well he’s been hired as CFC’s head of youth talent ID! So proud of him!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Heinze gone from Atlanta already. Came in to try to recapture something of Martino's Bielsa Lite style, but combined with awful recruitment and publicly freezing out the club hero, dropping him entirely from the squad then losing in the most insipid of manners at home, he'd completely lost the fans. Bocanegra and co. need to go, too, as the front office is largely responsible for the meteoric fall of what was one of the most exciting teams in MLS ever.

2 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Heinze gone from Atlanta already. Came in to try to recapture something of Martino's Bielsa Lite style, but combined with awful recruitment and publicly freezing out the club hero, dropping him entirely from the squad then losing in the most insipid of manners at home, he'd completely lost the fans. Bocanegra and co. need to go, too, as the front office is largely responsible for the meteoric fall of what was one of the most exciting teams in MLS ever.

He has been poor in most of his positions so far 

• 9 months later...

A very close family friend is the manager of Indy 11. They're having a 20,000 seater stadium built and are trying to become a MLS team in the next few years. 

Would be awesome if they manage it. The league continues to grow over there it seems. 

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

A very close family friend is the manager of Indy 11. They're having a 20,000 seater stadium built and are trying to become a MLS team in the next few years. 

Would be awesome if they manage it. The league continues to grow over there it seems. 

It’s getting more popular, but beginning to expand to the detriment of the quality. There’s only so much talent over here, and spreading it out over more team dilutes the league. Unless their eventual plan is to expand to a multi-tier league with promotion/relegation, I think more teams is a bad thing.

Any chance of them relaxing it so that the MLS can attract more CONCACAF players? 

Looked at the past winners of their CL and see Mexico and even Costa Rica dominating it and I'm then thinking the MLS could or should have relaxed rules over signing players from those leagues to make it more competitive 

Always think that the answer for the MLS is to become more attractive to South American players

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Went to a Charlotte MLS game finally. They beat New york. Just fired the coach as well, pm me for reasons why!

yeah that seemed extremely surprising, considering the start they had. Would be interested in the PM why

Edited by Villaphan04

On 13/06/2022 at 14:26, Dom_Wren said:

Went to a Charlotte MLS game finally. They beat New york. Just fired the coach as well, pm me for reasons why!

Dom_Wren, New manager of the Charlotte FC signs a multi year, multi million dollar deal!!!!!! 🤞

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reminds me...

I went to my first professional match 2 weeks ago, saw the Hell is Real Derby between Columbus SC and FC Cincy. Atmosphere was great and Columbus managed to snag Cucho, who has torn through the MLS since arriving.

The quality is much better than it was several years ago. It's better than the Championship, but I think an MLS All-Star team probably gets relegated 9 times out of 10. As opposed to a few years ago when it was Landon Donovan and 80 year old Beckham. The quality I saw that Sunday has caused me to start paying more attention to the league as a whole. They have the most complicated structure I've seen in a top league, but with an MLS team finally winning Champions League, I expect them to start relaxing the rules slightly more.

• Like 1

Â