The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

Seeing as Cruz Azul aren't an MLS side, and the match wasn't a friendly, I highly doubt the winning goal was staged. What it was was simply Messi doing what he does. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The clip is pure football theatre but parts of it are a bit…weird and made me think it was all set up.

The Miami coach wheeling away to the bench looking really chuffed as if putting Messi on direct free kicks was his bold strategy. Or the self congratulatory look on Beckham’s face, as if he’s been a real maverick in discovering Messi, as if a there were some imaginary doubters who said Messi was too small for the rigours of the MLS. 

Then Messi doing gladhanding the crowd like he’s won the World Cup again or he’s running for political office.

Or its just a football game that they won in the last minute and they're all genuinely happy about it...

• Like 3

On 22/07/2023 at 08:36, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The clip is pure football theatre but parts of it are a bit…weird and made me think it was all set up.

The Miami coach wheeling away to the bench looking really chuffed as if putting Messi on direct free kicks was his bold strategy. Or the self congratulatory look on Beckham’s face, as if he’s been a real maverick in discovering Messi, as if a there were some imaginary doubters who said Messi was too small for the rigours of the MLS. 

Then Messi doing gladhanding the crowd like he’s won the World Cup again or he’s running for political office.

I think you may be reading too much into it 

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Has anyone ever heard Messi speak English? I assume English is a common language in dressing rooms so guess he speaks some English?

Don’t know, but there’ll be a lot of Spanish being spoken too. 

I remember watching a clip of Phil Neville coaching the team in training (hilarious, btw) and he used as much Spanish as his brain had allowed him to pick up from duolingo on the way there. 

On 22/07/2023 at 08:43, VillaJ100 said:

This is a very niche reference to a certain age group but does anyone remember the game 'Roby Baggio Magical Kicks'? The keeper on that team dived like the keeper on that game

https://games.mi9.com/play_roby-baggio-magical-kicks/

Here you go dude. Make sure you aren't doing anything productive with your life before you play. Classic of procrastination this one.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Messi is just different class even at walking pace.  Another 2 goals and assist 7 goals in 4 games!  Looks like he is having fun and lifting the game of those around him.

The Goat.

• Like 1

to be fair some of that passing is actually ridiculous

but the messi rewind brought to you by adidas? nah **** that, its a shame how some joyous moments in football can also show me why i dont like it anymore 

that own goal need investigating too, strikers goal that

• 2 weeks later...

RB isn't even looking for that run. Messi forces him. So so so good.

Quite enjoying not watching any games and just seeing clips of new magic from the great man every so often.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No play off for Messi and Miami, that's gotta be a financial hit for the league. While obviously expected since Miami were crap for most of the season. Wayne Rooney quits DC United after they also miss out. Rooney to move back home just in time for the PL sack race?

14 minutes ago, sne said:

No play off for Messi and Miami, that's gotta be a financial hit for the league. While obviously expected since Miami were crap for most of the season. Wayne Rooney quits DC United after they also miss out. Rooney to move back home just in time for the PL sack race?

Rooney is waiting for the Small Heath dream job I am led to believe.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/11/2023 at 03:10, Genie said:

The game was decent, but the quality is low. It a million miles below Premier League, closer to the Tamworth games than the Villa games I watch. 

I went to see the Whitecaps against a New York City team featuring Pirlo, Silva and Lampard.

The Whitecaps were flagged offside from a throw-in.

I seemed to be the only person in the stadium incensed by the decision - including the Whitecaps players.

• Haha 2

Â