The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

On 31/10/2023 at 23:10, Genie said:

Here’s my review. It was pretty mental from the start, like some unsanctioned underground version of football. The stadium appears quite modern at first glance but also seems to be mainly made of scaffolding.

Absolutely stacks of pre-game hype. Light shows, Joey from Nsync was pumping up the crowd. Loads of gravelly voiced excitement over the PA system.

Then before the game we stand to welcome and thank the service men and women who have served in the US military and the military’s of the US allies.

Then we are drawn to the 10 flags around the stadium which represent the 10 US citizens being held by Hamas.

Then we spend a moment of quiet reflection following the deadly shooting in Maine

Then, of course, the national anthem.

Then finally a bit of football.

The game was decent, but the quality is low. It a million miles below Premier League, closer to the Tamworth games than the Villa games I watch. 

It’s funny that the stadium announcer announces the yellow cards during the game, but when it’s for the home side he does it in a huffing, sighing way. Then when an opposition player is booked he does it in a silly voice.

The game finished 1-0 to Orlando City and it was a surprisingly good goal too.

Then in the Uber on the way home the driver said that Covid was created by “business” purely to sell vaccines.

Lots of memories made.

Did your Kevlar vest take any direct hits?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, maqroll said:

American TV viewership numbers for soccer are a total humiliation for MLS, and they deserve every ounce of it.

The product has to improve, plain and simple. I try to watch Minnesota United, but the quality is seriously lacking.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Just seen @sne say in the Coutinho thread that Inter Miami have Alba, Busquets, Suarez and Messi. How on earth are they struggling so badly?

Suarez just signed but they won the cup but Phil Neville magic pretty much ruined the season

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Just seen @sne say in the Coutinho thread that Inter Miami have Alba, Busquets, Suarez and Messi. How on earth are they struggling so badly?

Also got Yedelin (ex Sunderland and Spurs) Jean (ex Monaco and lens) and the new manager is Gerardo Martino who's ex barca and I'm sure Argentina 

Just seen that their head of media is Keiran Gibbs 😂 he's still only 34

• Shocked 1

Ye Miami's season was dreadful until they made those signings, but it was too late basically. Next season they ought to be favourites to walk the league, with the quality they have. MLS defending is diabolical at the best of times.

On 29/12/2023 at 23:36, MNVillan said:

The product has to improve, plain and simple. I try to watch Minnesota United, but the quality is seriously lacking.

This is it. Especially as they are already competing with NFL, NBA, NHL, college football and college basketball at various points of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the kids (man now!) who played for me just got hired as an assistant coach with DC united!

Sent me a video of him working Benteke out 1 vs 1 and nothing but good things to say about him on and off the pitch!

The new head coach (former red bulls head coach) got hired at DC, he is a SC boy and a top top man/Coach!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some new rules were introduced in December, all very interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/new-mls-rules-explained-five-new-rules-from-the-board-of-governors-might-change-how-soccer-is-played/

1. Time saving rules

If a player with a suspected injury is on the ground for more than 15 seconds referees will stop play so that the player can be removed from the field and evaluated at which point they will remain off the field for a minimum of two minutes following treatment. There are a few exceptions including head injuries, goalkeeper injuries, serious medical events, and fouls resulting in cards as those may need more time on the pitch. 

The timed substitution rule follows a similar theme. Any player substituted must leave the field of play by any point within 10 seconds. If they fail to do that, the player coming in will need to wait 60 seconds before entering the game at the next stoppage. In MLS Next Pro, 99.7% of more than 3200 substitutions were able to leave the pitch within that time frame. There are exceptions for injuries and goalkeeper substitutions.

Clearly a case of **** about, find out.

2. Transparency

As long as it's also approved by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), VAR decisions will be announced by the referee to fans both in the stadium and viewers on television. This will be the first time it has been trialed in a top flight league. With the focus on getting VAR decisions done quickly and correctly, this is a change that will provide more insight into the decisions that are made. The clocks on broadcasts and in stadiums will also now count up during stoppage time in the first and second half. Finally, if players suffer head injuries from a collision with each other requiring off field treatment they will only return to the match at the same time after their evaluations have been completed. 

I have limited NFL experience, but this sounds like what they do in that game.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Some new rules were introduced in December, all very interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/new-mls-rules-explained-five-new-rules-from-the-board-of-governors-might-change-how-soccer-is-played/

Clearly a case of **** about, find out.

I have limited NFL experience, but this sounds like what they do in that game.

Hmm I don't mind both. Obviously the first one is clear cut.

For the VAR decision, it is a bit too NFL for me but the ref is usually standing there for a while anyway listening to the VAR so might as well say what they're checking to the stadium.

NFL they tell you what was given but they don't tell you why

For example they might tell you it's a holding call but they won't tell you that the defender had his left had grabbing a fist full of pad, they let you work that out by yourself on the replay 

So in football the ref might give a penalty, VAR, and then say something like "number 3 kicked number 7" which if it's that level is fairly obvious...NFL is more of a blur which is why it's useful, another example would be the disallowed goal vs sheff utd the ref would get on the mic and say "Ramsey fouled the keeper" was there really anyone in the stadium who didn't know that already? It's maybe better than "possible foul" coming up on the screen but those expecting an actual explanation will probably be disappointed 

On 19/01/2024 at 12:50, Dom_Wren said:

One of the kids (man now!) who played for me just got hired as an assistant coach with DC united!

Sent me a video of him working Benteke out 1 vs 1 and nothing but good things to say about him on and off the pitch!

The new head coach (former red bulls head coach) got hired at DC, he is a SC boy and a top top man/Coach!

So, College of Charleston? 

Â