Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Aston Villa face the ­prospect of making a ­£13million loss on Darren Bent AND paying him for two more years.

Striker Bent, who joined Villa for an initial £18million, has been told he can leave the club this summer.

But Villa’s attempts to play hardball over Bent are set to fail, despite claiming they will not accept less than £8million for the 29-year-old.

Newcastle, Fulham and Hull are interested, but won’t pay more than £5million .

Villa will also struggle to find a club willing to match Bent’s current £65,000-a-week contract that still has two more years to run.

That means they will be forced to pick up the shortfall for the remaining two years of their commitment to Bent if he moves elsewhere and earns less

Exit looms: Shay Given could also be sold this summer as Villa look to cut their wage bill

All three interested clubs would be reluctant to pay Bent more than £50,000-a-week, meaning Villa would be left with a shortfall of £15,000 a week to cover – £1.5million over two years.

Other than Bent, Villa are also looking to offload Stephen Ireland and Shay Given this summer.

Ireland earns around £55,000-a-week and still has another year to run on his contract.

Incredibly, 37-year-old goalkeeper Given still has three years to run on his £60,000-a-week deal.

I'm also pretty sure he's on more than 65k a week, so we'd likely have even more to pay him for the next two years.

Edited by HalfTimePost

People saying keep Bent:

Not only is he totally not what we want, it can not be good for team morale if one bloke is on 70k or so and the rest are on peanuts. Especially not one who is barely playing a part.

People saying keep Bent:

Not only is he totally not what we want, it can not be good for team morale if one bloke is on 70k or so and the rest are on peanuts. Especially not one who is barely playing a part.

But this contradicts the point that you've so badly flogged to death.

Should the rest of the team be annoyed because one player is earning more!?

There's a pay disparity across my department at work - it ranges from around 30-40K for people doing similar jobs - but do the people at the lower end of the scale kick up a fuss and lose morale!? No, they get on with it.

Perhaps footballers should do to!? Or perhaps a footballer isn't like a man on the street!?

I don't know; I'm confused what side of the fence you sit on with this argument. Should footballers kick up a fuss and act like the average worker (as per your previous posts) or shouldn't they (as per your post above)!?

• Like 1

Aston Villa face the ­prospect of making a ­£13million loss on Darren Bent AND paying him for two more years.

Striker Bent, who joined Villa for an initial £18million, has been told he can leave the club this summer.

But Villa’s attempts to play hardball over Bent are set to fail, despite claiming they will not accept less than £8million for the 29-year-old.

Newcastle, Fulham and Hull are interested, but won’t pay more than £5million .

Villa will also struggle to find a club willing to match Bent’s current £65,000-a-week contract that still has two more years to run.

That means they will be forced to pick up the shortfall for the remaining two years of their commitment to Bent if he moves elsewhere and earns less

Exit looms: Shay Given could also be sold this summer as Villa look to cut their wage bill

All three interested clubs would be reluctant to pay Bent more than £50,000-a-week, meaning Villa would be left with a shortfall of £15,000 a week to cover – £1.5million over two years.

Other than Bent, Villa are also looking to offload Stephen Ireland and Shay Given this summer.

Ireland earns around £55,000-a-week and still has another year to run on his contract.

Incredibly, 37-year-old goalkeeper Given still has three years to run on his £60,000-a-week deal.

I'm also pretty sure he's on more than 65k a week, so we'd likely have even more to pay him for the next two years.

Hmmm, I reckon Fulham and Newcastle might go higher than £50,000-a-week for a proven international striker. Berbatov is on twice that. This article is pure speculation.

People saying keep Bent:

There's a pay disparity across my department at work - it ranges from around 30-40K for people doing similar jobs - but do the people at the lower end of the scale kick up a fuss and lose morale!? No, they get on with it.

Perhaps footballers should do to!? Or perhaps a footballer isn't like a man on the street!?

I don't know; I'm confused what side of the fence you sit on with this argument. Should footballers kick up a fuss and act like the average worker (as per your previous posts) or shouldn't they (as per your post above)!?

Similar or the same. Quite a difference. In a unionized job I would think the union would not allow different pay scales for the same job.

When you work as a bricklayer, pay will vary between bricklayers based on, the amount they produce, the quality and ability. The best paid are known as 'top men'. But it's not a unionized proffession.

People saying keep Bent:

I am sorry, I must have missed the point where I said players should/would kick off?`

For the record - as I assume your referring back to this - I have no problem with Darren Bent being annoyed that he is out of the team. My point is simply that he shouldnt be praised for causing disruption because of his annoyance.

People become unhappy for all sorts of reasons. There are things that I am unhappy with at work, (not much atm FWIW), but it happens in every walk of life. The question is whether or not you conduct your unhappiness appropriately. Seen as I think this is a basic human skill, I do not see why people should be praised for it. 

Saying people should not be praised for not displaying discontent inappropriately (as I have with Bent) is not the same as saying discontent can occur (as I am suggesting here).

With that in mind, I am a little lost as to what your point is?

Honestly the guy doesn't want to sign for other teams because of a pay-cut. He's lost his England place & first team football and is choosing not to take the opportunity to get what he's lost.

I get he won't be on £70k a week or whatever but seriously it sums up what kind of player he is.

Thank you Messrs Houllier, McLeish, Lerner.

his goals in 2010/11 arguably saved us so could say he paid back his fee.

Dont know what it has to do with McLeish

I think he is referring to the Given contract???

At the end of the day our chairman has saunctioned some absolutley stupid deals and there are quite a few players at our club looking for payouts like the managers who wanted them signed? We must be funding the greedy players beheavent fund? Sorry or St Randolph is?

Joe Kinnear is trying to put the furore caused by his Newcastle appointment behind him by chasing Alan Pardew’s top two transfer targets - Darren Bent and James Tomkins.

Pardew gave Kinnear the names of Aston Villa striker Bent and West Ham defender Tomkins when they spoke on the phone last week, before he went on holiday.

The Toon’s controversial new director of football discussed the club’s transfer targets with chief scout Graham Carr at the beginning of the week and is keen to make progress.

Kinnear wants to draw a line under the row sparked by his appointment by getting on with the job owner Mike Ashley brought him in to do.

The 66-year-old has so far been conducting most of his business via the phone, away from the St James’ Park, but hopes to move into his new office next week.

Pardew wants a striker and a centre-back and feels former England starter Bent could be a useful addition up front.

Bent has been told he can leave Villa, but the Magpies must try to put together a package to tempt the former Sunderland star back to the North-East

Sorry, it's only The Mirror

As I keep having to remind my Liverpool supporting colleague, his signing was a major factor in keeping us up that season, and I'm not convinced we'd be playing in the Premiership right now if he wasn't signed. He's been worth the money, in my opinion.

• Like 2

As I keep having to remind my Liverpool supporting colleague, his signing was a major factor in keeping us up that season, and I'm not convinced we'd be playing in the Premiership right now if he wasn't signed. He's been worth the money, in my opinion.

Yep defo. Worth every penny to keep our ever present tag.

Yep defo. Worth every penny to keep our ever present tag.

completely, had we gone down with houllier, we'd still be playing championship football now. no Lambert, no new dawn, financial meltdown, it would have been hideous,

i think he's a really good player, he just doesn't fit now. we got him to play with downing and young. they are gone and we don't play that sort of football anymore and neither do we have the players to do so. good thing in my opinion but leaves bent getting paid a lot of caash for contributing virtually nothing now!

Premiership? strange how the mods allow people to use the name of a rugby league to refer to the top flight of football, yet use word filters for other more correct terms.

Anyway, I agree Bent kept us up that year.

his goals in 2010/11 arguably saved us so could say he paid back his fee.

Dont know what it has to do with McLeish

Didn't use him properly, then again McLeish didn't use anyone properly. Of course Lambert hasn't really used Bent full stop, but he more than makes up for it with Benteke.

Â